• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

QOL: Shortcuts for Weapons with a quick in-game menu

VoidForce

Feb 15, 2016
Russia
Good day, everybody.

Here is my suggestion for PC version of the game.

Problem:
There are no tools to make hotkey shortcuts for weapons in KF2, like it can be done in classic games like Quake, Half-Life, Unreal.
Such hotkeys are useful in a heat of battle, to get proper weapon in a single button press (or nervously smashing the button), without need of cycle through whole weapon group.
KF1 had function GetWeapon and each weapon entity had name that could be used to call for it. With such function it is possible to make configs, though it's not the best possible way. There is a way to use KF2 function "GBA_SwitchWeapon" which is even worse way.

So there are two problems for such hotkeys system that should be solved:
1. We need to define buttons that we want to use as hotkeys
2. We need to have a fast way to assign weapons to those buttons midgame

Here is my solution:
Weapon Shortcut Menu
(wheel)

First, a new section appears in a keybind menu, it allows to bind buttons to Weapon Shortcut Slots (1-8) and one more bind for calling Menu itself.

In game player presses the button that calls for Weapon Shortcut Menu and wheel appears on screen while player keeps holding the button. This wheel works similar to voice commands wheel. Each slot shows a button that was bound to it in a menu. Player drags central joystick to any of this slots he wish and weapon that currently is in player's hands will be assigned to that slot (bound button).
Each time player calls for Menu it'll show weapons icons that was assigned to specific slots before (see picture).
If player will try to assign weapon to slot that was already taken, then it will be overwriten with new one.
If player drops the gun or sell it, then slot still remembers what weapon was assigned to it, until player reassign it with another weapon. Weapon icon remains in the menu but turns dark as innactive.

So, that is how player can assign weapons to specific binds that he defined in a keybind menu, it is fast way to remap controls mid game, all you need to select weapon, press Weapon Shortcut Menu button and assign weapon to slot.

To clearify idea more here is example:
In keybind menu Player bound key T for slot1 of Weapon Shortcut Menu. In game they takes Desert Eagle in they hands, presses Menu button and assign gun to slot1 (T). After, he will draw Desert Eagle each time he presses T.

Here is a concept picture of the menu in game with weapons assigned to different slots. White letters shows the buttons that was bound to each slot.
kf2binds.jpg

Reactions: MrtPsr
I like the idea, and I got a simpler one that I would like to suggest in case yours doesn't get approved (they don't approve anything at this point)
I would suggest to make the game switch to the other primary weapon instead. in other words, Clicking 1 would take you directly to the next primary weapon, instead of starting from the weapon you're actually using because that's really ridiculous

Upvote 0