• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PVK II Released!

SnotRocket

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
I know I made a thread for the upcoming release of PVKII, but I figured this was big enough news to warrant a new thread.

PVKII is now released, and is the highest quality mod by far that I've seen for HL2. Finally, it's a game that doesn't feel "sourcy." The player models are quality, too.

PVKII Beta 1.0 Released!
By: CrazyTalk
On: Jan 01, 2007 09:01 pm

It's here, it's finally here!
PVKII has hit the web, picking up the shards from it's HL1 predecessor, twisting and turning them to create leaner, meaner and prettier non-historically accurate action than ever before.
Pitting nimble Pirates, powerful Knights and mighty Vikings against each other on the HL2 engine, PVKII features an innovative melee combat system, nearly 100% custom content and a complete lack of ninjas, designed to be all that its predecessor was, and more!

And so, here the files are for you to download!
Client Installer
BitTorrent (FASTEST! USE THIS PLEASE):
PVKII Torrent

North American Mirrors:
HubbJubbClubb.com (FTP)
PVKII.NET #06 (HTTP)
FlyingMongoose.net (HTTP)

European Mirrors:
PVKII.net #01 (HTTP)
PVKII.net #02 (HTTP)
PVKII.net #07 (FTP)
AndyVincet.co.uk (HTTP)
ESports.no (HTTP)
Steff.eu (HTTP)

Australian/Oceania Mirrors:
Internode.on.net (HTTP)

DEDICATED SERVER (Windows .zip)
PVKII Torrent

North American Mirrors:
PVKII.net #06 (HTTP)
HubbJubbClubb.com (FTP)
PVKII FlyingMongoose.net (HTTP)

European Mirrors:
PVKII.net #07 (FTP)
PVKII.net #02 (HTTP)
PVKII.net #01 (HTTP)
AndyVincent.co.uk (HTTP)
ESports.no (HTTP)
Steff.eu (HTTP)

Internode.on.net (HTTP)

DEDICATED SERVER (Linux .tar.gz)
PVKII Torrent

North American Mirrors:
PVKII.net #06 (HTTP)
HubbJubbClubb.com (FTP)
FlyingMongoose.net (HTTP)

European Mirrors:
PVKII.net #01 (HTTP)
PVKII.net #02 (HTTP)
PVKII.net #07 (FTP)
AndyVincent.co.uk (HTTP)
Steff.eu (HTTP)
Esports.no (HTTP)
grimDev (HTTP)

Internode.on.net (HTTP)

Check out the Player Guide while you download, it's worth a quick read!
Player Guide

It still needs some balancing. The Vikings are too overpowered and the Pirates are so poor with melee combat that it's just pointless to even bother with them on some maps. There's also a great deal of latency problems on large servers.

However, release day issues aside, it's still ridiculously fun.

Upvote 0
Knights are probably the best balanced. They have a sword and shield that does decent damage and offers good protection, but in order to do heavy damage they need to lose the shield and use the slow two-hander. The slow and accurate crossbow is also a nice counterbalance with the quick but inaccurate pistol brace.

Upvote 0
There has been a serious drought of good first beta HL2 mod releases for a while now, PVK2 is hopefully the beginning of a new trend (you can say "its only beta one ffs STFU!" all you want, the first release can determine the death or life of a mod, rare exceptions excluded). I've been having a great time, I play on servers with 20 or less people (removes the lag but is still just as fun). Yes there are some balancing issues such as: vikings have no projectile weapons (throwing axe will be introduced later, should have been in this beta though IMO), the explosive keg the pirates have don't damage teammates (leading to spam), and the knight's crossbow seems to have a graphical glitch or has a incredible short range (the little spark you see from when an arrow hits the ground is like 20 feet max if your firing straight ahead). These imbalances sometimes kill gameplay (effing pirates always spamming the damn kegs on that map with tower and always winning), other times they don't. Also, auto team balance seems to be off on the servers I was on. This makes the teams very lopsided sometimes (7 vs 6 vs 3 is the worse I have seen it so far), unfortunatley this is mostly in the vikings disfavor, probably because it is the most difficult team to play as (not saying that it is hard, just harder than the other teams because of the aforementioned missing projectile weapon which severly hampers it's chances of winning on occasion). So other than those problems I have had a lot of fun. I can't wait till the next patch, the added classes plus other minor tweaks should help out a lot with the balance. YAY FOR GREAT FIRST RELEASES!

My only other recommendation (really more of a personal opinion, but I think it would help nonetheless), to a not so obvious problem*, would be to increase the melee weapon's COF, it can get a little crazy trying to get your enemy in a little invisible box thats at the center of your screen while both of you are moving (adding more than a few people into the fray just makes the "small accuracy" more noticeable). While I don't want things to become too easy, it also should not be overly difficult to swing a giant sword or axe and hit something other than the enviroment or air (IRL a sword goes from one side of your body to the other and hits anything inbetween, not missing everything except for small area around your chest).

*Problem is probably to strong of a word for this, it is just something that shouldn't be forgotten and would like to see addressed sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well this is the first game of its kind ive ever played and i tell you this...

Vikings rule the game.

Being a pirate with the explosive barrles is great fun, just chuck one in at one of the opposing team's spawn and BOOM!

Played knight for 10 minutes and its pretty boring, although one swipe with that huge sword and you shwang they dead.

Viking is just str8 up brutal, get that axe n swoard and scream valhalla = win.

Just charge at the enemy weilding those beasties and you will rack up the kills.

Yea the vikings won something like 6 rounds with ease.

GG

Upvote 0
I'm a bit disappointed they have only one class per team. Hopefully they don't release more until all of them are implemented in one version.

Besides that, it is a great update of an old classic mod and will be even greater when everything's done. :D

Well, you basicly play 3 classes per character.

Pirates have short sword, pistol and powder keg.
Knights have long sword, crossbow and short sword plus shield.
Vikings have the big axe, and short axe and sword combo.

But i agree, more is better :)

Upvote 0
Meh, I don't see why people complain about pirate kegs. Its not like they are small or hard to see. Besides, melee with pirates is significantly harder than knights or vikings, and you can really use that to your advantage.

The mod is awesome by the way... we should all get together sometime on irc and do a RO community game.

Upvote 0