• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Solution] Punkbuster causes Freeze .

Pretoryan

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2011
Yes.

I have tested this , after my PC has frozen about 25 times in 1 day.

As I mentioned before , the symptomes are :

- Complete Freeze of your screen , allowing only hard reboot.
- Sound crash , sounding like a BSOD.
- CPU and Cooler overheating , during / after reboot.

I have tested this over the course of 2 days , and yes.
Only solution for this , is not to play on Punkbuster protected servers.

This is an temp fix for you guys , untill TWI fixes this issue aswell.

I also think Punkbuster is cause of problem that people are experiencing.
If you look at my other posts, I had crash whenever I joined the PB server.
No problem with VAC only server. I fixed the problem by uninstalling PB from control panel and rebooted the sytem. So far, I am experiencing no issue.

Funny thing is that I can still join the PB server with no problem.
I have not reinstalled nor updated the PB. I have re-confirmed from the control panel that PB software is not installed This tells me that RO2 may have PB software embeded in the program. So what I think is PB from the installer and PB embeded in RO2 is conficting each other.

I have strong dislike against PB. When I was playing BF2142, I always had PB crash issue. What I find out was that PB did not like the EVGA overclock utility running in the background. I fixed the problem by uninstalling this utility.

TWI, Please look into the Punkbuster.
I stronlgy believe the Punkbuster is the culprit of the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: SQBsam
Upvote 0
I can confirm that this is indeed possible.
I'm not having this problem in RO2, but I did have this problem in BFBC2.
I was routinely hard-freezing on Bad Company 2, I stumbled unto a solution that said to try playing on a non-PB server. First match, played for 3 hours with no lock-ups. They eventually patched the issue for some people.

265 page thread on the EA forums about the issue

Upvote 0
Yeah I having the same problem. I can join any Punkbuster server just fine even the Red High PB one's. I can play for a random amount of time an then suddenly out of no where the screen will go black and I get told the game has stopped working. And to Ctr+alt+dlt my way back to desktop at that point. If I join a server with no PB then I can play for hours if I wish with no issue.

I have already tried downloading the PBupdate thing an updating my PB. But it doesn't fix the problem. So it needs to be looked into.

Upvote 0
I have played on an italian RO Server without PB today.
No Problem, the gameplay was smooth, no lags, nothing, all fine with high settings (only shadows ans AA are low).

The only problem is now, there are nearly no non PB Server with enough player.
There are only a few server for me with a good ping and a good number of player, and they have all PB active :(

So we need more non PB server and all will be good :D
NO CRASHES, NO FREEZE, NO FPS PROBLEMS :rolleyes:

There must be another anti cheat program, everything is better than PB.
Please delete and ban it from every game :mad:

Reactions: SQBsam
Upvote 0
Best course of action I'd suggest for everyone having this issue:

Do a manual update of your PB client if you haven't already, and test to see if that doesn't solve the problem. If the problem persists then continue with the steps below.

Do a comprehensive test to be 100% sure the cause is PB, join as many PB servers as you can and stay on as long as possible and do the same on servers with PB disabled, even try servers with no VAC with and without PB if possible.

Log this information - write down: the name and anti-cheat status (PB, VAC, both or neither) of the server, time spent connected, the approximate number of players on the server at the time, the issues you are experiencing or not experiencing. E.g. 1st Server: A Server Name, Anti-cheat: PB + VAC, Connection duration: 10 mins, 15 – 20 players connected, game freezes, fps drops of over 20, game crashed after 10 minutes. 2nd Server: Another Server Name, Anti-cheat: VAC, Connection duration: 1 hour, 25 – 35 players connected, no game freezes, no fps drops, no game crash. 3rd Server Name: Yet another Server Name, Anti-cheat: None, Connection duration... (keep going the more the better)

Open a ticket: EvenBalance HoS Ticket Support

Provide as much information as you can in your ticket and update your ticket with more information every few days showing that the problem continues to happen on PB enabled servers. Keep an eye on your ticket daily as well and reply to any questions EB staff may have and provide them with any additional information they request.

EvenBalance will devote a small amount of their resources into this if only a few people open tickets and there is little information for them to go by. So the more information you can provide the better and the more people with this problem create tickets the better.

Edit: Make sure you mention in your ticket that you have done a manual update of your PB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0