• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Publishing deal for boxed version!

Yeah really great post Jack.

I just want the devs to be more to the point. It seems like Ramm is trying so hard to not get people upset but it just backfires worse than it would have been. Instead of just breaking it to us early that the game would still be months off we had to wait until we thought wed have it immediately only to be shown we were dead wrong.

It seems you're doing it again. You said something like "it gives us time to work on some extra features" insinuating that the game would come out in March. Then just after that you say that the Steam release date wasnt ever mentioned, this time insinuating that it might come out in January, or February and not March, leading people on to think it may come out real soon. Please, just tell us up front if you can so it doesnt get worse down the road. Cmon, its coming out in March within days of the boxed release right? Just tell us!

And as someone else just said, dont take this personally, we're just so excited to play your creation. I, and probably everyone else who is disappointed isnt mad at you developers, were just frustrated that we cant play the greatest game ever for at least another 2 months. Ill be waiting as patiently as possible, Good Luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jack said:
Remember technicalities as well. ROOST could go live on Steam 1 day before the stores open up with the boxed version, but hey it still would come out "earlier" than the boxed copy...

If that was the case I imagine that the majority of people would just get the boxed version...I most certainly would.

Upvote 0
Sleby said:
Yay someone else is worried about bird flu!
Good thing I stopped watching alarmist "news" programs a long time ago. Unless there are public service anouncements & cops with bulhorns driving down your street telling everyone to stay inside or evacuate don't worry about it. "News" programs love to speculate worst case scenarios. Ok back on topic, carry on.

Upvote 0
Scoobin said:
Adding new features this late in the game could cause serious delays, as they will need massive testing and debugging to make sure they work properly. Oh well this makes me kind of glad its on steam, cause if its anything like Valve/HL2 the updates will be regular, not one every 3-6 months.

I agree. I hate to say that I feel this way, but I find it hard to believe that the devs are really adding new features.

In another thread, I basically expressed the same idea, that adding any kind of new features, let alone testing them and tweaking, and still being able to get the game manufactured and into stores within 2 months is not realistic.

So, either the devs are going to release after March, which is a real possibility, or, they aren't really adding any new features (at least nothing of large consequence) and will just be finishing up testing and getting the game rolled out for production.

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Oh good grief... I think I'll stop posting on these forums - I cause nothing but trouble!

And it WILL be done by March!

And all the communiteis keep wondering why most developers don't go in their own forums anymore once a game is released...:rolleyes:

Well, bye Alan, see you on the battlefield in march then :p

EDIT: OMG, called you Allen... whishfull thinking I guess :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well guess what, we all are slightly disapointed there is no Jan release but Life goes on. Get over it and appreciate what this bunch of people are bringing to us.

It is really silly to stomp and whine about a hypothetical release date and piss off the people who are working to create something special for us. As long as it isn't vapourware I'm happy we'll be getting something like Ost Front at all. Most other developers have crap implementations of the WW2 era in the FPS format.

Bit your virtual tongues and wait like the rest of us!

Upvote 0
LOL!! I love it! You have absolutely NO clue just how many major, HUGE changes get made to games at the last minute. I'm talking total changes to the game mechanics, a total rework of everything that's been written up to the time. And all in the last 3 WEEKS before it goes gold!

I've been there. I've seen what can (and IS) changed. I've had to sweat blood to test those changes because come hell or high water, that game WILL go gold on the planned date. There's are reasons I won't go back into the video game industry. That's just one. And a relatively small one, at that.

The changes that have been described for RO:Ost are chump change, in comparison.

Jack said:
I agree. I hate to say that I feel this way, but I find it hard to believe that the devs are really adding new features.

In another thread, I basically expressed the same idea, that adding any kind of new features, let alone testing them and tweaking, and still being able to get the game manufactured and into stores within 2 months is not realistic.

So, either the devs are going to release after March, which is a real possibility, or, they aren't really adding any new features (at least nothing of large consequence) and will just be finishing up testing and getting the game rolled out for production.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
LOL!! I love it! You have absolutely NO clue just how many major, HUGE changes get made to games at the last minute. I'm talking total changes to the game mechanics, a total rework of everything that's been written up to the time. And all in the last 3 WEEKS before it goes gold!

I've been there. I've seen what can (and IS) changed. I've had to sweat blood to test those changes because come hell or high water, that game WILL go gold on the planned date. There's are reasons I won't go back into the video game industry. That's just one. And a relatively small one, at that.

The changes that have been described for RO:Ost are chump change, in comparison.

And this is exactly why big-production-house games arrive to all the hype, followed closely by all the moaning and wailing about the bugs/crashes/cheats/etc. Sure it happens. It's beyond stupid as well. I'm hoping that the reason you won't go back into the video game industry is because you're not stupid enough to go back. Tripwire's decision to stay independent and distribute through online means and a relatively small publishing house will hopefully keep just these kinds of major code rewrites from happening last minute. To add code while in feature freeze and bug fix is a recipe for disaster. The original bugs are present because when you code, you make mistakes. Adding features late just introduces more bugs. Here's hoping that whatever TWI is adding feature-wise is straight forward with little gameplay impact.

Upvote 0