• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics PTRD tactics

UncleDrax said:
... i can't even remember where I saw/read/heard that though.. so someone most the historian feel free to correct. a google cache from battlefield.ru seems to reinforce the 'there were craps load of them'..

That opens up the idea of some interesting maps.

How about one with German armor vs. Soviet anti-tank infantry. So most of the Allied team would be PTRDs, and you get a variety of German armor. If the mapper wanted to keep German infantry from supporting the tanks, they could limit the number of SMGs (from both tank classes and any infantry classes).

Could you imagine a 6 teams of PTRD pairs trying to flank Panthers or Panzer III/IVs.

Upvote 0
So you want to be a Hero?

So you want to be a Hero?

I made some screenshots of tank killing with the PTRD. I hope this helps a bit. I never tried to kill a Panther though........:eek:

Aim here:

rechte%20seite.bmp

Do you see the small shovel there? This is your target.

with one shot this happens:

rechte%20seite%20effekt.bmp

This works only on the right Side.....

Upvote 0
I decided not to post my Tank Tutorial on the ROOST site, because I figured it'd be outdated. But anyways, here are a few excerpts from the guide I posted on the 3.3 site

Note that in 3.3 frontal armor can only be penetrated on the Panzer IV. I believe this is inaccurate compared to real life, and I doubt that the PTRD wll still penetrate Panzer IV armor from the front in ROOST. But who knows.

Note: these were all originally from my guide on the Battle for Europe forums http://www.bfero.com

3) Aim for the enemy tank's weak points. For single shot kills - aim for the Ammo Storage. To disable, hit the tracks or engine.

To hit the engine, aim for the hull at the flank if possible right behind and below the turret or hit from the back. If you must shoot from in front, hit the flat part (of the Panzer IV) or the dead center of the Panther for the engine.

To hit the ammo storage, aim for below the front part of the turret when shooting the flank. When aiming from the front, the Panzer IV's ammo is on your right (his left) in the hull, and the Panther goes across the entire hull (see figure).

Try to flank to a point where you have the most perpendicular angle to strike against, otherwise the shell will bounce off harmlessly.
Here are new diagrams showing where the engine and ammo storage are. I took an average of 20 shots or so to find the bounderies of the engine (which we know is spherical for this game) - so this isn't just a random circle:
Panzer IV from the side -
There are two ammo storage areas.
One in the upper boxy hull, on the right side of the tank (your left if you're looking straight at it), and a second one in the lower hull on the right.
I seem to get the best penetration with the lower box. The PTRD seems to have trouble penetrating the upper box (takes 2 or 3 shots I think). A single PTRD shot to the lower box does the trick. The T-34 canon can do either in one shot, but I get the best results on the upper box hitting the yellow highlited area (courtesy of JColloiquin).
To hit the engine, I aim for the last tiny wheel on the upper part of the treads
panzerprofile.jpg

(data and top view courtesy of Ramm-Jaeger)
Panther from the side -
To hit the ammo storage area for the one shot kill, hit below the front of the turret below the sloped armor. I aim above the third road wheel (recessed one).
To hit the engine, aim behind the turret on the hull. The engine goes a bit further back than I expected.
pantherprofile.jpg

(still prelimenary)

An important note: These are valid targets for both tank shells and PTRD!!

Both tanks from the front. If the tank hull is facing you directly, aim for the lower ammo box to hit for single shot kills, and the engine to disable.
tanksfronts.jpg

(UPDATE) BUT, this is only really useful for T34 tank cannon against the Panther. BUT this only works at close range, about 100 meters or closer. PTRD and KV-1 cannon usually has no effect on the Panther from the front. The Panzer IV (on the left) on the other hand can be killed with PTRD and KV-1 cannon rounds.

4) When hitting the flank of a tank on the move remember to lead your target as it takes time for the shell to get there.

6) If the enemy tank is angled a little while facing you - 10-15 degrees or so, don't aim for the center of the front of the tank. Aim for the engine which is behind the turret or ammo box below the turret. You have to kind of project the image of the engine behind the turret. So, shoot behind and below the turret, often through the front part of the tread or the corner of the tank hull.
tankangle.jpg

The Red is the engine, which is what you want to hit. The blue is the front armor, which you *usually* aim for when the tank is facing you. When it's angled, DO NOT hit the blue section.

Upvote 0
D.a.L-UnteroffizierG said:
I made some screenshots of tank killing with the PTRD. I hope this helps a bit. I never tried to kill a Panther though........:eek:

Aim here:

rechte%20seite.bmp

Do you see the small shovel there? This is your target.

with one shot this happens:

rechte%20seite%20effekt.bmp

This works only on the right Side.....

Based on this, it might be easier to penetrate into the top ammo box from the Right flank, and the bottom from from the Left flank. This makes sense as the top box is on the right side of the tank, and the bottom box is on the left side of the tank. I have noticed that it's difficult to get a hit on the top box from the front.

Upvote 0
Starrkiller said:
those pictures r really good, they made me a tank ace.
i printed all of mormeguil's and ramm's pictures in two shets, 1 for axis, and one for allies, and i can look at them when i start a tank level. shure gets me lots of 1 shot kills :D

Glad it helped. I've noticed there are a lot more good tankers out there after I posted this on the old site. Either that or I lost my edge...

Upvote 0
Stiler said:
I wish someone would set up a diagram for aiming at longer distances and not so close range...up close I can do decently with them but at a distance it's a PITA to aim right cause of the drop and there's no "feedback" really to see where your shot did indeed hit...

PTRD shots that penetrate show a white puff of smoke. That may be harder to tell at distance.

I think I posted this on the old forums, but here's my bizzaro tank target range map. You can pick PTRD and practice shots on it: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mormegil2/mormrange.zip

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm lazy and didn't read past the first page, but....

If I can avoid it, I don't use the PTRD, instead the satchel, because you can be it for both german and soviet, but more importantly you can get some kills. The PTRD may be able to shot things on the move, but the satchel will destroy any thing within a wide range of it. And from past experiences, I found that tanks move half the time and stay still and camp behind a log half the time, so if you're lucky and walk around a tank map and see a tank camping then just run up next to him and drop your satchel and run away. Of course you may be spotted, but it is WAY more efficient than shooting the tank multiple times, while the drivers just get pissed off and jump out of their tanks and hunt you down.

Another benefit of satchels is the good secondary weapon, I mean the pistol is alright, but you have close to no range.......... So for me satchel is good....

Just my 2 cents worth

Upvote 0
Mikhail Kalashnikov said:
i dont exactly understand what you guys mean with hitting at angles. can sum1 draw me a pic or sumthing please ima little slow this morning.

Basically, rounds penetrate armor best when hitting it flat (round vector should be tangent to the plane of the armor). So the smart tanker will angle their tank to incoming shells, if better cover (hull down position) isn't available.

For a better explaination, read my tutorial: http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3896

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
PTRD shots that penetrate show a white puff of smoke. That may be harder to tell at distance.

I think I posted this on the old forums, but here's my bizzaro tank target range map. You can pick PTRD and practice shots on it: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mormegil2/mormrange.zip

Pretty good map there, gave me some much needed PTRD practice. Thanks alot! :D

Upvote 0
Dav1d said:
Pretty good map there, gave me some much needed PTRD practice. Thanks alot! :D

Glad you liked it. I'm going to see if I can make a rudimentary update for ROOST.

Llama said:
Errm tangent?? Am i being dumb or dont you mean normal (i.e. 90deg)?

Yeah, 90 degrees, exactly. The angle of the armor to the angle of the incoming round (vector). In my tutorial, I mention if you go about 35 degrees off (making the new angle 55 degrees), you get most rounds bouncing off.

Upvote 0