• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PTRD-PTRS different projectiles

RiccardoTheBeAst

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Italy
We all know that the PTRD/PTRS used to have two different type of projectiles. So, i'm thinking, why all the games give only the most powerful projectiles (BS-41, tungsten) to these weapons? This is not correct and the guns result overpowered. Imho it's a better idea to give both types of ammo to these weapons.

In RO we can carry a maximum of 19 BS-41 ammo, in RO2 we could carry 11 "standard" ammo (B-32?) and only 8 BS-41 for example....(this is only an example of course, i don't know the real amount of ammo)

Penetration data @ 0 degrees:

BS-41:

-40mm @ 100m
-35mm @ 300m
-25mm @ 500m

B-32:

-35mm @ 100m

Sorry but i dunno other penetration data for B-32 :eek:

Reactions: AgresywnySpawacz
Left: From the left: BS round, B32 projectile, BS projectile (Tungsten) and .55 Boys
projectile.

PTRD-ammo1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just one question,
FFS, WHY complicate game more?

Maybe overpowered vs. squirrels. And why do you think that isn't correct? BS-41 outnumbered B-32, probably B-32 was even rarer than a MkB in Stalingrad.

Uhm, i read that Tungsten projectiles were rarest than the "standard" projectiles. If this is not true, then there is no problem....

Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0
Cheaper ammunition, but more of it IMO. The anti tank rifle in ROOST was considerably overpowered. But it'd be nice if we could get a larger volume of ammunition, better suited to harassment fire.

The bullets only weigh nearly half a pound, so I figure you could probably carry a fair volume of them (more than 11 at least) not to mention these things had teams devoted to them, so it'd be nice if some people could resupply you.

On that note, you could never really use them for harassment fire in red orchestra, it either penetrated or it didn't; and to my knowledge I don't think anybody would know they got hit unless it actually did damage. It's be ncie if it'd make a loud "clang" sound on impact, that the occupants of the tank would hear. I mean this is a very large round hitting the tank with 29,000 joules of energy, that's going to be a very loud impact, especially if it fails to penetrate and shatters. In this case at least the rifle could be used for a distraction since you'd be pelting a tank with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Before the Anti-Tank Rifle role can be anything that we or tripwire wants it to be, it must be fun.

The majority of people that play this game, and are going to play RO:HoS would not find some people's idea of hyper-realistic version of the Anti-Tank rifles fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a reasonable level of realism and I agree that the PTRD should not be able to penetrate 60mm of steel plate. However, I don't think it would be fair to the players to create a class whose only role is to annoy and only when lucky get a kill. AT Riflemen should be rewarded for being able to (flank an enemy tank and) shoot the small internal targets of the tank which would result in the death of the crewmen.

Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0
It would be nice if the PTRD could only penetrate 40mm instead of the ridiculous 80mm of penetration it has now. I could care less about ammunition types if the PTRD users had to work for their kills.

well, at least they can bring it back down to more sensible stuff now that the germans don't have the panzerfaust quick-swap to chew through :IS2:s with :cool:

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It will be fun alright when I kill you out of a buttoned up T34's drivers position with my Panzerbusche.

These are squirrels then:

YouTube - Red Orchestra NoWay#01 PTRD-41 on Arad

Ahah LOL :D

Anyway, i'm talking about the new RO, where the damage-system is supposed to be realistic. Now the point is, what do you think about the introduction of both type of projectiles?

And....does anyone know what is the diffusion of this projectiles in Stalingrad/late 1942?

Upvote 0
I think different ammunition types for the PTRD/S would be a good idea. More importantly though, I think they ought to fix how it is crazy overpowered.

On fallen soldiers, whenever I play as a tank commander, the enemy AT soldiers are a far bigger threat than the Panzer IVs. It's hard to tell how many shots penetrate, but it seems to be a lot, and usually within a minute of them getting a bead on me, half of my crew is dead and my tank disabled, and this is from 1:00 at maybe 100m.

Which is not to say I don't like all the new mechanics, like individual crew dying and systems damage aside from tracks and engine. But damn, a T34 should not be helpless against a guy hiding with a PTRS, shooting from the front. Especially given the max penetration of 40mm at zero degrees, and the T34's frontal armor thickness of 45mm on the hull and 60mm on the turret.

Upvote 0