• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Console PS4 frame loss investigation - Looking for additonal information

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Can anybody who has this please let us know what PS4 they are using, and the exact encounters and what they are doing (and how and where they were doing it) when they experience this (We have seen reports of down to 5 to 10ish FPS but have so far not been able to replicate that).

Last edited:
    Just happened to me on my PS4 pro. Was streaming, had just finished finding all landmarks while a orca was attacking me in the gulf and frame rate just began to get super choppy then trophy finally popped up and game just completely crashed. Didn’t get to look at the error code but took a 30 min break out of frustration, came back to start the game back up and all my progress was gone. Please help :(

Upvote 0
    I haven't played the game for a couple days. When I did, I was playing on the basic PS4. I'm not entirely sure if it happened earlier, but the FPS drops I mostly started noticing when I reached Golden Shores, and almost every area after that had seemed to have very low performance frequently. The large drops tend to happen most during combat, but also appeared to be persistently active just swimming around seemingly doing nothing.

Upvote 0
    So I took a little video for you.

I'm playing on a PS4-Pro. First real drop is at roughly 1:30 and also when I move from the beach area into the other. This was after freshly starting the PS4 today as well as the game. I forced the drop with a lot going on on the screen. The advanced sonar seems also to play a part in worsening it when there is already a lot going on. This is after finishing everything, when there were still tasks the marked objectives combined with a lot on screen made it sometimes drop even further in frames. This instance is not the worst that happened to me while completing the game twice. I already played 2 days before release and think it got a little improved since then. There were also cases when just swimming around where the frames drop and the ps4 became really loud in some cases following with a error screen. Longer play periods also seem to make it worse.

This is played with the bone evolution which has not that many special effects, equipping electric or shadow made it worse also.

If you need additional info feel free to ask.

Last edited:
    Reactions: KoldStrejke
    Upvote 0
    Not much to say here except for the fact that the frame rate also dips for me (on PS4) when Im fighting hunters or just by swimming and encountering 1 or 2 alligators, this started to happen ever since I got to Dead Horse Lake. Please look into this, I was looking forward to this game for a couple of months.

Upvote 0
    Hello! I'm playing on a Slim 1TB PS4. The slowdown has been sort of common, but it's really gotten complicated since I've entered Golden Shores. Slowdown seems to intensify when Hunters show up to take me down. I've attached a clip for you demonstrating this (short, 35 seconds).

Thank you so much for the game, which I'm really enjoying, as well as your dedication to fixing the issues!

Maneater PS4 Slowdown

Reactions: seibermaki
    Upvote 0
    I usually don't pay much attention to framerate issues, but did have one notable experience yesterday. I am playing on an original PS4, hardcopy, on an extended drive.

I started with the Revenge in Caviar Key in the SE closest to The Gulf. I wanted to spawn hunter boats to get my Infamy up, so I was using the full Bone set.

I started at Infamy 8 and intended to get to 10. I fought the boats until about 9.5 Infamy. It was pretty choppy by the end. The fight had spilled over into The Gulf, so two zones involved. Other than the fps issues, the notable issue was that it started to affect my sound.

The narrator's voice overs were actually choppy as well. It sounded like a broken speaker. It was very annoying, which is why I disengaged at 9.5 infamy. Even after leaving the fight and waiting for the boats to leave, my sound was still garbled, so I had to restart to fix it.

As I said, I don't pay too much attention to fps issues, but I do notice it sometimes when it transitions from underwater to surface, and when boats are involved.

Reactions: seibermaki
    Upvote 0
    Some more videos. This time focus is drops when travelling fast.

In addition to my info in the post before:
    -retail version
    -gen 1 PS4-Pro from Europe (Germany)

FPS Issues 4, around the 25 second and onwards is probably the best example of inconvenient frame rate drops, I'm sure this will help the dev team greatly! This basically sums up the frame rate from Elder and onwards

Upvote 0