• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Proximity voice chat

I forgot what its called, but its a voice chat where you can hear only players near you, like in arma or something. It would be really helpful, and you would be able to talk whit only players around you, and not your whole team or etc

Yea, this a feature that I really hope gets implemented. It would make it a lot easier to be able to co-ordinate with the people around you.

I also think there should be a hierarchy for radio communication. What I mean by that is, squad leaders and Commanders have their own command channel that only they can use/hear, while squad members can only communicate with other members of their squad.

This would add a lot to the teamplay mechanics, and would keep the chat more concentrated on tactics.

Upvote 0
I also think there should be a hierarchy for radio communication. What I mean by that is, squad leaders and Commanders have their own command channel that only they can use/hear, while squad members can only communicate with other members of their squad.

This would add a lot to the teamplay mechanics, and would keep the chat more concentrated on tactics.

I feel like that'd be asking a tad too much from your average public server players, and might only serve as an annoyance for squads without SL's.

On the Local / Prox voice chat; I don't mind if it makes it into game, but I don't think it'll be used all too much compared to the regular team VOIP.

Upvote 0
Yea, this a feature that I really hope gets implemented. It would make it a lot easier to be able to co-ordinate with the people around you.

That's there in the form of team chat, and squad chat. I'm dubious as to how well this would be used for casual players, as squad chat dosen't tend to get used very much. Abiet if you're in a team of seasoned players, or maybe a clan.

I'm all for it however if they have the time to impliment it however.

Upvote 0
The main drawback of a system like this is it is very CPU heavy on an already CPU heavy game. This is why we have tended gone with other forms of chat.

With "local" chat everytime a player goes to chat you need to start doing line traces to find out who is close enough (which are expensive).

Upvote 0
The main drawback of a system like this is it is very CPU heavy on an already CPU heavy game. This is why we have tended gone with other forms of chat.

With "local" chat everytime a player goes to chat you need to start doing line traces to find out who is close enough (which are expensive).

I just left a trace of a doing line this morning...:eek:

A great example at how taxing this is, would be the Arma series. They have a local chat system, and it is VERY taxing. A lot of people have hardware issues with Arma, which probably originate from systems like this.

Upvote 0

How about sending the transmission to all players and let client's PC decide whether to play the sound or not depending on distance from source? That way, there is no additional server burden.

Upvote 0
I would really like to see this, more than anything else. There are times I really need to say something to someone but I don't have time to look at his name. Like, "Grenade, watch out!" or, "Enemy behind you!" or, "There's a guy in the bunker to the left!", all of which are meaningless on team chat.

Upvote 0
How about sending the transmission to all players and let client's PC decide whether to play the sound or not depending on distance from source? That way, there is no additional server burden.

That is still a crap ton of line checks that have to run continuously (on the client) that can potentially kill all performance.

Upvote 0
What if you send X,Y coordinates with the voice transmission to the clients? Then clients can easily computate straight line distance to the source of the transmission.

You'd definitely need to know where every player is at all times, and compare the speaking client's coordinates with the coordinates of all players on your team at least once a second so that if someone leaves the proximity, then they would no longer hear the player who is speaking. Even if it is not a particularly CPU intensive function to accomplish once, it would have to be done constantly, and the cost could be multiplicative if multiple clients transmit at once. I'd hate to see trolls voice spamming a server and taking the weaker hosts down ;)

Edit: This is not to say that I can't possibly see the reality of an efficient solution, but rather that there is a much higher possibility that coding a less-than-efficient solution would result in major issues with performance and trolls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What if you send X,Y coordinates with the voice transmission to the clients? Then clients can easily computate straight line distance to the source of the transmission.

This sounds like it should work..? A simple math check even with 64 players, I would have thought was easy?

Maybe it's more complicated, or maybe math is more intensive for PCs than I thought but IDK sounds good to my youthful mind!

Upvote 0

And with that you have given every cheater total access to every bit of voice communication going on.

On that note alone it's a really bad idea. The server should decided as much as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't forget the Z coordinate. Imagine GrainElevator style maps without it. :p

Another thing to then take into account would be distance and how that affects the volume of the players speaking to each other. And the direction their voices would be coming from. Also, how voices might be heard through solid objects like walls and floors. Maybe a system like this would just be too complex for its own good.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, how difficult would it be to implement a "sound node" originating from each players' head dedicated to their own microphone? Would that work? I imagine that's sort of how it's done for the spoken lines of dialogue by the player characters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EDIT: Now that I think about it, how difficult would it be to implement a "sound node" originating from each players' head dedicated to their own microphone? Would that work? I imagine that's sort of how it's done for the spoken lines of dialogue by the player characters.

If my memory serves me well, UE3 can't stream audio from devices into the game world.

Upvote 0
Another thing to then take into account would be distance and how that affects the volume of the players speaking to each other. And the direction their voices would be coming from. Also, how voices might be heard through solid objects like walls and floors. Maybe a system like this would just be too complex for its own good.

Those would be some very cool additions! There are many factors like the ones you mentioned that would probably make the feature request currently untenable, but if Moore's law has anything to say about it, the performance blockers will become less of an issue over time. If the RO series wasn't so CPU intensive already then maybe it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Upvote 0