• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Propaganda level in game

So you want a realistic ww2 game yet you can't (or don't want to?) accept the fact that the war itself was monstrous and such things happened all the time. By both sides.
And chances would be that if you were a soldier back then you would witness and/or participate in at least one atrocity.
Quoted for truth.

Actually, showing the player war crimes and/or "just" inhuman fighting is a quite good way to make him reflect over war, warcrimes, racism, inhumanity and whatever else you want. As long as you do not spam those events in a game, what would transfer them into a "normal" game element which wouldn't be as effecttive as a singular event.
But I do not think that we will see something like that in HoS. Remembering what we already learned about the SP, it sounds more like a pure fight-through-all-MP-maps-with-some-AI-comrades-and-a-little-bit-of-story-system to me, not like a full-blown cineastic SP with some kind of moral in it.

Upvote 0
Yup, I know. But I had to say it xD
I agreed, that stuff is only to add a "dramatic effect" masked in "realism" just to sell more.... cuz people likes heroic war movies.

what? your argument makes no sense. the videos clearly showed war crimes being committed, so why do you refer to such acts as "heroic"?

more single player games should show the horrors of war. first off, they aren't depicted enough. i'm tired of mowing through entire german lines and at the end watching some npc congratulating me and giving me a medal. that is cliched and boring. it's the first time they're doing a german campaign, it could also be the first time that a war story isn't told like a comic book for a 5 year old in a game.

they should do serious research into the types of war crimes committed at stalingrad and show it in all its brutality. rape, killing of children, torture, etc are realities of war and if you want to play a war game you should learn to handle that and appreciate the true nature of war.

although this might affect the ratings...

Upvote 0
Hiding is lie. Show to public real face of stalingrad battle or kill truth once again. If history dont reflect truth, its just lie. If you want to protect public by lie you are worst than truth about stalingrad massacre.

Is it inhuman to show crimes of war? Is it barbarity? Or is it warning to public what is war about?

Is it good to hide truth? I mean no. Peoples must know it. They must remember real truth, not lies to prevent events like second world war itself.

Upvote 0
...and think that the Swastika should be displayed, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth for Tripwire... God, Australia would probably BAN it... and a few other European countries too...

You DO know that Australia is not in Europe? :p
Australia is the land with the kangaroos! The land you are talking about is AUSTRIA!!!

Australia is large, hot and is a continent of its own kind.
Austria is small, moderate and in the heart of europe. (yeah, I live there btw...) :D

But yes, I agree that Swastika should be displayed, maybe with territorital limitations (no swastikas in Germany).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You DO know that Australia is not in Europe?
O rly?
A.jpg

:p;)

TWI will probably keep the swastikas out of the game like they did in ostfront.

Upvote 0
No one wants to see war crimes in a game they play for fun, if you want real war crimes build a time machine and join WW2.

Do you know how disrespectful that is to include war crimes such as mass massacre is? That is just plain disrespectful, sure the Russians of the time probably did and history backs us up kill surrendering German soldiers but no one wants that in a game. You people want gore, gore, gore, PETERPAN are you the one who wants a Holocaust videogame? If yes you are one sad and disgusting human being...

Upvote 0
There is a difference between showing bad things, and letting the player participate and forcefully condone it.

All I don't want to see in HoS is that if I (have to) participate in let's say shooting unarmed German soldiers the game celebrates me like a hero, which is obviously done in CoD: World at War. Just imagine if you'd do the other way round, you could mow down Russian POWs as German soldier and the game would make you feel like a hero. The press would go absolutely bananas! No need of being made a hero for doing such things.

I believe this is a very understandable wishing, isn't it?

@Australia: So I was yet to New Zealand. But lads, which city replaces Vienna? Or is Vienna a fake town? I was there yet and didn't notice I guess :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont want the player to be able to commit warcrimes ;) that was exactly what i was saying.

Although if appropriate in the context of a story or something, showcasing a warcrime done by the enemy to increase your hate for them could be nice.

Like when you're a german seeing russians do something nasty against some german, and when a russian see some germans do something nasty against the russians.

So keep it out of the players control, but showcasing that both sides did wrong things during the war.

Upvote 0
I dont want the player to be able to commit warcrimes ;) that was exactly what i was saying.

Although if appropriate in the context of a story or something, showcasing a warcrime done by the enemy to increase your hate for them could be nice.

Like when you're a german seeing russians do something nasty against some german, and when a russian see some germans do something nasty against the russians.

So keep it out of the players control, but showcasing that both sides did wrong things during the war.

:) Nice one! :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone find it ironic that by covering up atrocities you are actually making them more likely to occur in the future? :rolleyes: By hiding that sort of thing you just make people forget about it. My country seems to have forgotten about fascism and communism and are about to get an mandatory internet filter :( As if we weren't controlled and suppressed enough in Australia ...

Upvote 0