• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Proning, Crouching, Sliding, Cover System, Movement Thread

Bane5

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2012
From the trailer Rising Storm 2's E3 thread, I see a lot of animation improvements and more variation. Now seems to be the perfect time to revisit and iterate on how movement works in the game.

To start: Red Orchestra 2 is one of the few FPS games that implement sprinting while crouching. This feature has spoiled other FPS games for me. Whenever I try to sprint in another FPS game, I always find myself trying to hit sprint while crouching only to stand up, get shot, and die :p. It always feels so natural. But there's more that can be done.

Red Orchestra is a game with very cluttered environments, whether it be the rubbled and ruined streets of Stalingrad or the volcanic landscape of Iwo Jima. Cover and firing positions often exist at various heights. Oftentimes, I've found myself cursing the game, wishing I could just peak over the edge a little higher or lower. Seeing Arma's system of crouching, I wish something similar was in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaux-QXnlk

Here is a list of possible improvements and methods of implementations for the sake of immersion, convenience, and usability:

1). Ascend and descend instead of prone/crouch.

Simply put: I think Rising Storm 2 could benefit from having an ascend key and descend key instead of a crouch and prone button. Holding descend would lower your stance eventually in a prone position cycling through only 2 or 3 levels of crouching for simplicity. To dive instantly into a prone position, simply double tap descend and vice versa to stand. With 2 or 3 crouching positions, maps can be designed with less concern for firing height.​

2). Rolling.

To move sideways while prone in RO2 is a painstakingly slow process. The proper way of moving sideways on the ground quickly in a combat situation is to roll. Simply double tap E or Q while prone to perform a quick roll. This action would drain stamina since soldiers carry a lot of combat gear and to prevent people from rolling everywhere constantly.​

3). Control the length of leaning.

Leaning in its current state is useful but sometimes cumbersome. Sometimes I want to barely lean and in other situations, I want to lean fully. Simply tapping E or Q slightly leans your body as a toggle from which you can move slightly (but sprinting instantly makes you fully upright). Holding E or Q does a full lean and is completely stationary.​

4). Sprinting while prone.

We have crouch sprinting, but we can also have "prone sprinting." A sprint while prone is simply a quick scramble on all 4 limbs. It raises your body slightly higher and is an alternative to the snail's pace crawl of default prone movement. Sprinting while prone is slower than sprinting in other positions AND very quickly depletes the stamina bar. This makes "prone sprinting" a tool for emergency situations only.​

5). Sliding.

Sliding would be achieved by 2 method's depending on keybinding preference: a). hit ascend while in full upright sprint. b). a separate key while in full upright sprint. Sliding is only possible after sprinting for some time and only if some stamina is remaining. Of all the suggestions here, I think this would be the least needed.​

6). Cover System for Blind Fire Only.

The cover system in the previous installment is a frustrating noob trap that I rarely see anyone use. However, the cover system is useful for is for blind firing--grenades in particular. Just simply rename "press use to take cover here" into "press use to blind fire here". Pressing it would snap you to the wall or tree from which you can throw grenades and shoot without exposing yourself. Clicking the right mouse button to aim would simply unsnap you from cover instead of peaking outside. This is much smoother than trying to fiddle with holding wasd to unsnap yourself.​

-----

The above would represent an easy-to-use system in my opinion that would greatly add to the often cluttered environments of Vietnam that will be found in the game.

Last edited:
Look at the trailer from RO2: facial animations, reaction to enemy fire, finger pointing etc. ALL of it didn't make it into the game.

Lugnut already slapped me there, it's sadly probably just a cinematic eye candy we have seen and the actual game will not feature it. I so hope that this is not true and we will have everything in this time that was promised by the trailers.

Upvote 0