• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Project Zomboid

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
I just got this game because after reading an article on RockPaperShotgun i became very, very interested in the possibilities.
It's just pre-alpha but already it is very interesting to play.
Now i have tried it out and i have to say it is quite awesome!

The premise of the game is this:
It's a zombie survival game (STOP RIGHT THERE! Dont you dare go out of this thread before you've read this :p I know, another zombie survival game.. but this one is different :) )

The game starts out with you and your injured wife in a house.
Your first goals are quite easy: shred some linens for bandages, find some painkillers, go to shed to get wood, nails and wooden planks to barricade the house. Go out, find some food in nearby house, go home, cook food, etc. To save me some time i suggest you read this article by RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/30/impressions-project-zomboid/

Assuming you've read it, i'll have to say i had that exploding oven incident myself too :p As i caugth fire i ran outside in a panic, right into a big horde of zombies who were very happy to see me.
I also met the friendly stranger with the shotgun... Took me a couple of tries where he shot me and shot my wife, but finally managed to kill him before he could harm me or her. That gave me a nice baseball bat, a shotgun and 39 rounds.
However, using the shotgun isnt a particularly good idea as it is very loud, and noise attracts more zombies to your location. So, best to use if you are in trouble far away from your safehouse (and any house can be turned into one, by the way), otherwise you might not be able to get out of the door the following morning.
So this is where my own story picks up: i wanted to go out and see what more i could find.
After a second night's sleep i got out of the house and immediately got welcomed by some zombies. Thankfully there werent many of them and i managed to kill them.

I walked into town, killing a few lonesome zombies with my baseball bat as i went along(these zombies caused a slight panic in my character) and encountered a diner.
So i ran in, closed the door behind me, and immediately checked all ajoining rooms from the main area. It was all clear, so i started pillaging like a madman: some cans of soda, 2 loafs of bread and some fresh and some rotting meat, and i even found a flashlight. Meanwhile the zombies outside took notice of my presence (this diner had some big windows) and decided they wanted to get in on the hunt for food. A few of them started banging the rear door, which startled my character, so i had to take a run for it.

I encountered a few zombies but i didnt try to kill them. I ran for dear life, got home and barricaded the door again with the last of the wooden planks.
I went into the kitchen, stored the meat and drinks in the refrigerator and put everything else into cabins. My character was tired, so i had a quick snack and went to bed.

1:00 i woke up to the noise of what seemed to be hundreds of moaning voices. As i checked the windows of the upper floor i couldnt see much for it was pitch dark, but the sound wasnt to be mistaken: i was in trouble.
I ran downstairs to check up on all the barricades, but thankfully they didnt do too much damage yet.
I opened up the back door and killed a couple of zombies there before i closed the door again. Then i realised i couldnt board the door back up for my lack of wooden planks. So, i forced myself into a night long of guard duty in front of the weakly wooden door, getting drowsy with sleep. (i had planned on staying up that night already but now i had to stay with this single door instead of spreading my attention over both of the entrances)

I decided to open the first attack, so i opened the door in hopes of being able to kill all the zombies on this side of the house before the other door caved in, and i had to fight off a group. I managed to kill them, but i got scratched on several limbs and received a bite wound to the head in the process.
During the brief respite i quickly bandaged myself up, but bites are fatal: i was a lost cause already. Even scratches have a 25% chance of infecting the character, so fighting zombies isnt a particularly good idea but something which has to be done anyway to get the stuff to survive.
Another group came in, and as i was fighting them i heard the other door collapse, and i got swarmed from the other side as well.
In his heavy panic my character's aim got really ****ty though in this group of zombies it wasnt hard to miss. I managed to take a couple of them down with me, but i died.

I get a feeling i should have killed the zombies that saw me come out of the diner and run back to the safehouse, as i have a suspicion this might have influenced the result of the following night :p

I am now hooked, and will probably dream about the zombie apocalypse when i go to sleep in a few minutes :(

PZ has a nice line of sight system by the way that doesnt allow you to see what is behind your character. He'll have to turn around and see what is behind him, and it's quite a brilliant thing.
It means you cant just walk in a house without checking all the corners if you want to make it to the next day, and it means you have to stand on the upper floor of your house so you can look down and see if there isnt a big horde of zombies parked outside your front door.

I've got a feeling this is only the bare beginnings of the game.
Apparently characters can be met and join you, and each might get into a depression, have trust issues, get scared, lonely etc. I'm interested to see in what kinds of situations i might get in in the future :)

Check out an example video:
YouTube - ‪Project Zomboid - Line of Sight Demo‬‏

Website here:
http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

I just got this game because after reading an article on RockPaperShotgun i became very, very interested in the possibilities.
It's just pre-alpha but already it is very interesting to play.
Now i have tried it out and i have to say it is quite awesome!

The exact same story here! Really nothing more to say. Go buy it.

Upvote 0
On my first go I killed the intruder with a hammer and it glitched my game out entirely, then the house caught on fire or some **** and I died.

It's pretty fun, and I hope they keep developing it. I like the idea of a really hardcore zombie survival game that's not just about shooting a horde of zombies but also about finding shelter, feeding yourself/companions and generally trying to keep going.

Upvote 0
I managed to get through the second or third night this time, and did some nice scavenging.
I discovered you can upgrade the baseball-bat through crafting by putting together the hammer, some nails and ofcourse the bat itself, for some extra damage output.
From scavenging i also found anti-depressants, beta-blocker pills (maybe to stop infection from spreading, i'm not sure?) and even a fire axe which allowed me to basically 1hit kill zombies :)

Encouraged by this, i ventured further into town to scavenge for some extra food.
However, it was a bit too late to go out and do that but i decided to go anyway. Bad call... :p
I walked into some random big multiple-story building, and after a while i wanted to go back out, looked out the window and saw the building got swamped by a huge mob of zombies. My character was getting very tired at this point, and i hoped that if i hid upstairs the zombies would forget about me as i slept.
I will never do that again. Ever. And neither will my character, because he woke up in a huge angry mob of zombies without even a fighting chance :p

EDIT:
Btw, i noticed that over time the bleeding from the wife gets less and less, untill on the third day or so the bleeding stops completely. I wonder if we could ever progress so far that she is back to full health and able to help out by defending the safehouse or something? ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
Well, damn. That sounds pretty great. I love RockPaperShotgun by the way. They're PC only and love their indie and oldskool games, and write great articles about them. Pretty much the only gaming news site I read.

Scrounging for supplies and creating barricades sounds interesting. I wish more zombie games did that. I'd love to play a co-op zombie shooter in which you have to eat and drink and ammo is scarce. Make the player feel weak and vulnerable. And add a stamina system that tracks how tired you are; if you get too tired or weak from lack of water or food you'll no longer be able to escape even the slowest of zombies. All that with free-roam gameplay in a large map. That would be a lot of fun. Tripwire... are you listening? :D

So let me get this straight, if you buy one of their games you get access to the alpha and you automatically pre-order the game?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, this actually looks pretty cool to me. I made a suggestion for something similar in one of the HoS mod threads but I had an FPS style in mind when I wrote it. Smokey then posted the link to this project (thanks for that man).

My main concern is about system specs.. is it light? Does it require very much? The graphics don't look too heavy (which is fine by me - top notch graphics are not an indication nor a must for a game to be good), so I'm assuming it'll run on just about anything..?

Upvote 0
So let me get this straight, if you buy one of their games you get access to the alpha and you automatically pre-order the game?
Yes, they have had problems with Paypal and Google Checkout because they were only doing pre-orders (you can read up on their problems on RPS or on their blog), so to get around this they decided to sell a back-catalogue game of your choice - costing different amounts - PLUS they would throw in their new game free, with immediate access to the alpha!

It is a Java game (at least at the moment) so shouldn't be too taxing, it uses hardly any of my CPU when playing. Really impressed with the recent patch, and as is fast becoming the norm for indie titles the music is fantastic.

Upvote 0
Gee, thanks man :rolleyes::p

I was hoping you could take Kate and throw her out one of the doors to distract them, then make your getaway :D (kidding! I'm kidding)

Anyway, I lasted 4 days 14 hours my first try. Found some food and one bottle of booze which I fully drank along with a couple of bags of crisps while I waited for them to break the upstairs door down.

The music is really cool. The vulnerable feeling is well done. The difficulty is refreshing. I recommend staying on a regular sleeping schedule. I screwed up and rested at the wrong time of day so I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldnt see a thing. The next day I ventured out a little further than the diner and into the park.. that's where I found the horde. They followed me home and ffs wouldnt go away. Can't wait to see how they expand the game.

Upvote 0
That sound of zombies scratching and banging doors is very well done, lol.
Combined with all the moaning it just makes you stand there and not want to go to sleep and keep on guard duty :p

Also, it seems that paranoia is in for the player character.
Yesterday i was walking along a street and i kept seeing shapes of zombies behind me, but when i turned around to face them nothing was there.
Could lead to an interesting situation of 'the boy that cried Wolf!' :D

By the way, if your safehouse catches fire you do get the ability to carry Kate out of there and find a new place to stay. I havent tried it myself yet, but i saw some pictures of people who dragged her into a huge apartment building.

Upvote 0
Got this a week or so ago.

What I really love about it is its tone and treatment of atmosphere and mechanics. It's hardcore, both in game play style and story. Bad **** happens and it doesn't feel contrived or stupid like, well, damn near every zombie game you've ever played. Risk is inherent in everything you do, mistakes cost you big and there are consequences for many actions.

It's doing most things right from a rogue-like perspective, although I don't know if it's going to get randomization in. The music is really great, everything is dreary and there's an undertone of hopelessness that I don't think ever goes away. It's like WWZ, The Rogue-like, without any sort of uplifting message about how humanity ultimately fairs.

Some parts of it kind of hit me in the gut, a little, and I assume they're just going to ratchet up the tragedy and WTF moments later.

What I'm not a fan of right now is the repetition that may end up being built into the game. I'm wired to want randomization in a big way for these kinds of games, and I hope that's going to happen in the map at some point. For example, if the full game always starts out with the wife scenario...I dunno. I don't like the idea of Ground Hog's Day the Video Game, where you relive the same situation over and over again. That's the downside to rogue-likes with any sort of story. We'll see where it ultimately ends up.

It's got the X-com look which I love, good lighting and detail levels on the art. I'm hoping the RPG-aspects of it get a little more fleshed out as they approach beta.

Anyways, if you like rogue-likes and are tired of the same old zombie ****, give this a whirl. It's not super different, but it just takes a way more mature tone than most games, both in story and in gameplay. If you're not familiar with rogue-likes....well, just remember, Losing is Fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can get rid of Kate now too.
Simply walk up to the closet, pick up the pillow, and use it on Kate... :)

cad-20110603-93bfc.png

Made me feel bad though. She says some things to you when you try to smother her, and because of what she said i havent done it since the first time i tried it out :p

Upvote 0
Damn, I've tried to be really stealth and take minimal risks as far as encountering zombies goes, but it seems like they can see you from hella far away and then they end up following you back to the house. If it's just one that follows you back, will killing him stop the rest from following him to the house?

I had one zombie follow me home and all he did was just kind of mill about by the front door. He never really tried to break in and he would just stand there at the door. So I thought 'leave him there' since he wasnt doing any harm... then his buddies showed up and they went to town on my defenses. I probably should have killed him when he was alone.

So, how far have you guys ventured into town? How long have you lasted? Have you ever left Kate alone at the house overnight while you were out scavenging?

If you take a totally defensive stance and just stay in the house all the time (after you've found food of course) will they eventually just attack the house, or do they need to see you first in order to start attacking?

Upvote 0
If you take a totally defensive stance and just stay in the house all the time (after you've found food of course) will they eventually just attack the house, or do they need to see you first in order to start attacking?

They all eventually group up together and go around the map in clumps attacking random houses, if they see you through the windows or hear you making noise inside your fort then they'll get suspicious and may start to attack, if you have 1 or 2 zombies beating on the door to your fort you can stay quiet and out of sight and they'll either keep attacking or just go away.

It takes a while though, boarding up windows isn't to stop them coming in, it's to stop them seeing you.

The whole Kate thing is just a tutorial of what you may expect in the final game if I remember correctly, you may aswell just kill her with the pillow and go on without her.

Upvote 0