• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Project Zomboid

I would never kill Kate with a pillow! What are you, some kind of sociopath!? :eek:

:D

Okay, well, I wasnt boarding up the windows, so maybe one of them saw me. I'll be sure to do that next time. The other questions still stand though... How far have you guys made it into town? How long have you lasted? Have you ever left Kate alone for more than a day, and when you came back to her, was she okay? Etc. Etc.

Upvote 0
I survived for a week on my seconds try after burning my house down with my wife inside (I fail at cooking soup apparently). Also some jerk had tried to take me hostage but I hammered him to death and got a shotty and a ton of ammo. After that it was pretty easy to survive, all the people I found though were hostile so they pretty much became an ammo source. It's kind of weird how npcs and zombies dont have any interaction and seem to fight on the same side.

Upvote 0
Yeah, 4 days seems about the average for me. I'm considering leaving Kate alone for a day or so because I really want to go explore the town. I can't seem to get more than a few buildings away (I'm hesitant to use the shotgun) before they start to follow me..

I came across a guy in what looked like some kind of store. He warned me if I took one more step inside he'd shoot. Of course I took one more step and he blasted me.

Cooking soup is easy mang :p. The clock flies, so you've got to take it off relatively quickly. I mean, how long do you cook canned soup irl, 10 maybe 20 minutes at most. Watch the clock and take it off the burner after 20 minutes.

Grr. I want to get deeper into town. Posting this then I'm gonna go do a banzai run to see how far I can get.

Upvote 0
I managed to survive for 4 weeks, give or take a few days extra.
The key is to not only board up the windows on ground level, but also the windows upstairs. Zombies standing downstairs can still see you when you are above them (at least a single story higher then them) if your standing in front of the windows. Basic rule: if you can see them, they can see you.

A tip: if you've got a fire axe, you can chop down useless doors (like the one in Kate's bedroom leading to the bathroom) and use the wood that falls down to barricade the upper windows).

I read on the forums that a zombie banging on your door might attract attention from others. So, if you see a lonesome bugger hammering at your gates, kill him, even if he isnt doing any direct harm.
In general you might want to keep the area around your safehouse clear of walking dead, if there arent too many.

If walking into town and coming across a big horde, you might want to consider rerouting your way back to the safehouse.
Dont go in a straight line for it, because i have suspicions they will just follow the general direction they last saw you leave in. Lose them in alleys, fool them in going a different direction, then swing around and go back to the safehouse.

Also, Kate should be quite safe if you leave her alone for a night.
During my 4 week ordeal i went out scavenging, found 2 shotguns, a bunch of ammo, a lot of food, nails, batteries, and a flashlight.
I was very encumbered, and couldnt make it back to my safehouse in time. It was getting late, and to make things worse i saw the lone stranger who had tried to kill me earlier in the supermarket out on the streets with his back turned.
I had to shoot him, and i did. But being as encumbered as i was, i wasnt going to get far if i didnt want to lose all my newly acquired gear. My legs grew tired after every 20 metres or so, my character was becoming very tired and it was getting late.
So i holed up in a building for the night. Next morning i wanted to go out, and sure enough the horde was waiting for me.

I ran back inside, barricaded the doors and what followed was a two-day long siege of lack of food, lack of sleep. Finally the barricades went down, and the horde started pouring in. Thankfully i had gathered around 90 shells, and waiting at the stairs i managed to dispatch most of the horde.
After a day-long firefight (i wasnt risking getting scratched or bitten by this group, which i surely would have been in melee) i managed to get out of the buildings only exit, only to encounter even more zombies coming my way.
I had ditched my spare shotgun, and unloaded a lot of ammo during the zombie siege previously, and ate all my spare food i had collected, so i wasnt that encumbered anymore. I ran like hell, but still didnt manage to get back home.

It took me 4 days of migrating through town to get back to my safehouse, and when i got back i didnt have a single item more then when i had left 4 days earlier.
As i walked inside and barricaded the door, settling from a hefty panic, i went upstairs and was met by a mostly disappointed Kate :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha! Great story :D ..and thanks for the tips.

I figured out that you can lose them and they can't follow your trail if you run far enough with a lot of turns and such.

I was running from a group and ducked inside the 7-story apartment building; quickly boarded the front door and went about searching the place. Most interesting thing I found inside was some chocolate :). A day and a half later I decided to go back outside. Well, not too far outside I was discovered by a small group and I was forced to run back inside; I couldnt escape in any other direction.. so the siege was ON! I figured out that you can stand in the stairwell (not on the stairs) and it forces them to come through single file, so that allowed me to crush them with the baseball bat quite easily, one at a time. I must've killed 20 of them in that stairwell. Hunger and lack of sleep forced me to vacate that spot, and I was eventually overwhelmed.

I want to get inside the Bank but there's always tons of baddies inside. Have you explored the whole town, are there parts of it you havent seen yet...?

Upvote 0
I can't stand doing the same thing over and over without being able to skip the conversations.

That guy that comes into your house on the first morning has killed me twice. The first time I wasn't expecting it, and accidentally pressed q instead of control, and got shot. The second time I was expecting it, and I waited in front of the bedroom door. The door opened immediately and he shot me. The first time I played though, I left the soup in too long and the house caught on fire.

I really like how this game is going so far, but I can't stand having to go through that beginning crap every time I start over.

Feeling bad about it or not, I'll probably just smother Kate when I start out and see if that skips any of the beginning...

Upvote 0
All I do as soon as the game starts is hit esc to skip the conversation, then I quickly bandage her, pills, go outside to get the hammer, nails, and boards.. I board up the house for her.. then I leave her and go exploring. I dont do the soup, or the shotgun guy. Personally, I'm trying to enter and search every building in town as it seems all the same stuff is always there (they've said they'll randomize it in the future).. havent done all of them yet.

Upvote 0
Glad to know fixed maps and the Kate scenario are only for the alpha, thanks. It's not that I hate Kate or anything, I'm just inclined to save her, give her time to heal, ect.... and in the alpha that's ****ing impossible. You get 2 to 3 days of peace before there's a horde at your door, you can't move her UNLESS the house is on fire first....so even if you want to drag her to a new safehouse, it's basically impossible to do it, what with the fire alarm and all.

Hoping we get to move on to a beta stage sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
Hey this is the zombie apocalypse, if someone is wounded then they are a drain on resources and a liability. As such I just smother Kate immediatley and get on with the business of surviving.

I made about two weeks the other day, I spent time just exploring the town and pretty much holing up whenever I was tired. A good general rule to evade zombies is to lead them on a wild goose chase, say you want to go into a building and sleep but there's a group around. Get their attnetion and then lead them away and do a few turns before doubling back. This normally worked pretty well.

Eventually I got sieged and died though, but it was still tons of fun.

Upvote 0
Reddog said:
Hey this is the zombie apocalypse, if someone is wounded then they are a drain on resources and a liability. As such I just smother Kate immediatley and get on with the business of surviving.

Jeez.. remind me not to be around you during a zombie apocalypse. If we're ever playing PZ together once multi-player arrives, I'll be keeping my eyes on you :eek::D

Upvote 0
Still need to explore most of the town i think. Scouted buildings to the east, also had a trip to the diner. Found the bank but havent entered it yet, and apparently there is a cottage in the woods somewhere which i still have to find as well.
Right now i think i'm going to choke Kate every time i'm gonna play so i wont get access to the shotgun or the baseball bat right at the start, and i'm gonna find new buildings to turn into a safehouse.
My try tonight failed miserably, dying on day 3 :(

EDIT: i'd like to point out i was on Skype with a friend, which somehow muted all the game's sounds. I didnt hear anything game-related, which made me oblivious to the fact there was a HUGE horde standing outside xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too have explored the eastern side of town; then, once the road ended, I followed the road downwards to the 7-story apartment building (which I've fully explored). In the southeastern section I came across a building with a locked door. I broke the door down with the fire axe. Night came so I boarded up inside the building in a room with no windows. Here's where it gets weird. In the morning I pulled the boards off the door and immediately the door flies open and I'm instantly shot in the face by some dude with a gun. No warning, no talking, just BLAMMO. I couldnt even react it happened so fast. Kind of pissed me off because I had gathered more supplies than I ever had (I could barely walk).

I've also explored the diner right outside the original safehouse (the building with two vending machines outside) but not much more in that direction. I'm gonna go far west and then southwest on my next go around.

Upvote 0
Man that sucks. Why did they have to make it update automatically from the website? Why couldn't they just extract the update files as another torrent?

That's why this is BS to me. Piracy is one thing. Making the game creators complicit in your piracy, ON THEIR DIME, is just total ****ing bull****. I pirate games, but this is literally stealing food straight from PZ's mouth.

Upvote 0