• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Progressive Loss of Performance

Marshmallow_Fox

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 26, 2016
So this issue is probably a familiar topic to some. I've seen a few posts about it, but I didn't seem to see anything that suggested a non-specific fix. I don't know how worth noting it is, no other game gives me this issue. I can play things like BF4, RO1, Insurgency, Killing Floor 2 for hours on end, always on full ultra, they all run swimmingly.

To recap, the game runs fine upon first joining. A few maps later, the fps drop has become very noticeable, from 60+ to <30 with frequent dips.

Now, I didn't always have this problem. The first time I noticed it was at the end of 2012. I had a superclocked out-of-the-box card that was causing slews of problems for my system. RO2 was in beta at this time, if memory serves me. It and BF3 were blue-screening constantly, other games were crashing, and I didn't figure out the problem until later. Some time before I did, RO2 had it's official release, and I wasn't crashing like before, but I was seeing the progressive slowdown on what used to be consistent performance.
My card at the time: MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

Once I switched my cards, the game ran fine. I had been playing Rising Storm quite a bit a little less than 2 years ago. At this point, my card was this: PNY VCGGTX7702XPB G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI.
The game had a consistently decent performance, with the exception of some maps or moments of heavy detail causing some small slowdown.

I decided to finally try playing RO2 again a few days ago. I have upgraded my card since the last time and am now using this: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2966-KR
The game started off fine, but once again, after about 3 maps, the poor performance was almost unplayable. I should note, everything is on ultra (or the highest equivalent thereof), and anti-aliasing is set to Medium.

Here are my full system specs.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 Eight Core (3.61 GHz)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 960
MB- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866