• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Profanity rate extremely high and admins just laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply cannot understand how anyone can play a game where people lose body parts in graphic detail, and yet be offended by swear words. Anyone who fits in that category needs a reality check. This is a game for adults who get their kicks by virtually killing people. Prudishness and moral high ground have no place in a game like this.

See, I used to actually try and be nice to people on the internet. That was before I learned that there's no reason to be nice when people play so damn dirty. The teams will be off by a half-dozen for an entire match. Clans stack up one side. People exploit map bugs and poor design features until hell freezes over. Why be nice? Sometimes I play RO with a smile on my face. Sometimes I get mad as hell. It's all part of the experience, but I certainly don't need some little twit telling me what words I can and cannot use in chat.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
I simply cannot understand how anyone can play a game where people lose body parts in graphic detail, and yet be offended by swear words. Anyone who fits in that category needs a reality check. This is a game for adults who get their kicks by virtually killing people. Prudishness and moral high ground have no place in a game like this.

See, I used to actually try and be nice to people on the internet. That was before I learned that there's no reason to be nice when people play so damn dirty. The teams will be off by a half-dozen for an entire match. Clans stack up one side. People exploit map bugs and poor design features until hell freezes over. Why be nice? Sometimes I play RO with a smile on my face. Sometimes I get mad as hell. It's all part of the experience, but I certainly don't need some little twit telling me what words I can and cannot use in chat.

There is absolutely no reason to be profane using them in chat/VOIP.

The differene between a mature and immature person isnt defined by their language, but more so by how they act and compose themselves. Not to mention how they treat and respect others. Most of what I see is just obscenities only being used to complain about something, or to deride other players.

You talk of "the experience." To me, the experience and immersion is killed when I constantly hear/read immature exchanges and comments while trying to play a realistic WW2 game.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
Nice try, fail. Some of us play with the gore turned off. If I could turn off the blood as well then I would.

I enjoy the tactical and skill side of it but anyone that's been in the army knows not to confuse a computer game with real life.

Tak said:
That argument has no weight. This is not armed conflict. You are never in harm's way playing a video game, so the rules that would apply to a soldier do not apply to you or anyone else, and to suggest so is offensive to soldiers of nations the world over.
Very well put. Outstanding!

Regards

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
I simply cannot understand how anyone can play a game where people lose body parts in graphic detail, and yet be offended by swear words.

Perhaps because they can differ between a real and a virtual invornment? While the violence in this game is very graphic, still, it fails to be one thing: real. Insulting someone is a real try to hurt someones feelings.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:

Reality check for you: I've been in a real war, seen real violence, and have put up with my fair share of hearing profanity from the common ground-pounder, all hours of the day and the night. The last thing I want to hear and read when playing RO is some immature little punk running off at the mouth.

Upvote 0
Cuss words are fine. But when you talk about molesting a child, I hit the high road, joking or not. I'll hunt that persons sorry ass down and turn them into frag count. I have a 3 year old a 9 year old daughter. I'm 40 and when the kids are put to bed, I can frag with the best of them and cuss with the best of them. Laughing the whole time. There is a fine line though between humor and what is funny, and not funny.

Talk about kids, and you are barking up the wrong tree of this Veterans Semper Fi Barrel. Game or not, I won't put up with some punk ass kids humor of molesting a child.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:

If this is your experience of the game, I dont understand why you play it.
I would never play a game that got me mad, irritated and made me treat other players without respect.
There really is no point in playing a game that you dont enjoy.

Upvote 0
Floyd said:
Just because a person is "mature" does not necessarily mean they care to hear adolescents and <30-somethings espouse their manhood by using language in a public forum that they wouldn't use in front of their mothers, wives, or kids.

At 50, I find the need for dropping the F-word every few seconds rather pointless, futile and juvenile. Have a little respect for the other players on the server. I liken it to the smoker/non-smoker thing in a restaurant. Sure you can smoke, but if it is making the person at the next table nauseous, do you remain obtuse and keep smoking or wait a little while until your out-of-doors?

Just use a little common sense and decency. One of my favorite movie lines is from Morgan Freeman when he is a judge at a trial. "Decency is what your grandmother taught you. Go home and be decent people." It makes the game more enjoyable for everyone.

Floyd
If you dont like the language then dont play a game where the vast majority of the demographic are college age or below

Upvote 0
Tak said:
That argument has no weight. This is not armed conflict. You are never in harm's way playing a video game, so the rules that would apply to a soldier do not apply to you or anyone else, and to suggest so is offensive to soldiers of nations the world over.
but its what really happy and everyone harps on the realism (for bettor or for worse) so yes it does have merit

Upvote 0
Oberst Freitag said:
If you dont like the language then dont play a game where the vast majority of the demographic are college age or below

That is/was one of the best things about RO. The maturity level (mental and physical) of the players is/was heads above the typical CoD, BF crowd. It would be interesting to see what the demographic of this game truly is. I've seen some beautiful weapons collections that I highly doubt were collected by <25 year olds.

I fail to see what being college age has to do with anything (other than being the age of rebellion and of testing authority). Does being college age make it OK to verbally offend teenagers? or similarly aged peers? or your elders? In a public arena I think not. Are college aged kids exempt from society's general concepts of common courtesy?

With RO (as far as I know) there is no automatic speech sensitive mic. You have to manually press a button to talk. Same for the chat. One has to make a concious effort to speak or type the diatribe. Yell/type the insults. Just don't press the talk or "say" button. imo, no one really cares to hear it anyway.

Fortunately, we are well off enough to be able to run our own server and encourage people of like thought to play with us. I was amazed at the response to the use of chat filters in the MOH:AA and CoD days. I had no idea that so many were of the same opion as I.

There are other posts here that speak to the subject far more eloquently and precise than my posts ever will. My hats off to the authors. Carry on.

Floyd

Upvote 0
please...RO is made up of the same demographic as the other games...dont kid yourself...stop trying to act like your **** dont smell and basically say that this crowd is better. People will swear and say things that you might not like in any game you will ever play. Deal with it...thats life...and you're the one who chooses to take offense at it...so dont make everyone conform to your ways because you dont like some words

Upvote 0
I would like to say, I am not a child, but I do swear. Quite a bit in real life. I personally think if you dont like the swearing, you should change servers. Leave it at that. What Floyd said about smoking non smoking, I have to be an ass about that too. IF you are a non smoker, don't sit in the smoking section. that is the way it is.

Although, I dont think calling names and things of the like are appropriate, I would find it laughable to kicked from a server for saying a swear word. If the servers rules are NO Swearing, then I would abide by that rule, but I would choose to sit in the smoking section.

Upvote 0
Valac said:
I would like to say, I am not a child, but I do swear. Quite a bit in real life. I personally think if you dont like the swearing, you should change servers. Leave it at that. What Floyd said about smoking non smoking, I have to be an ass about that too. IF you are a non smoker, don't sit in the smoking section. that is the way it is.

Although, I dont think calling names and things of the like are appropriate, I would find it laughable to kicked from a server for saying a swear word. If the servers rules are NO Swearing, then I would abide by that rule, but I would choose to sit in the smoking section.
/thread

Upvote 0
Oberst Freitag said:
please...RO is made up of the same demographic as the other games...dont kid yourself...stop trying to act like your **** dont smell and basically say that this crowd is better. People will swear and say things that you might not like in any game you will ever play. Deal with it...thats life...and you're the one who chooses to take offense at it...so dont make everyone conform to your ways because you dont like some words

<sniff> Do you smell anything?

Sorry, I'm not gonna bite, Oberst. Nice try.

Floyd

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.