• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Problem opening maps in sdk

I remember those days of confusion, and it took somewhat of a learning curve, and many hours of watching videos to make me understand the unreal engine.

I don't want to downplay anyone's experience, thats not the point. Its to help people along and to enjoy mapping vice giving up since there isn't alot of full blown tutorials out there.

What helped me out a lot was purchasing the Unreal Tournament 2004 Two DVD set. I don't remember what "edition" it was, but the 1st DVD held the game, and the 2nd DVD was nothing but "3D Buzz" videos of how to create internal and outside maps. It was pretty informative. I want to say it was the 2004 UT Collectors Edition or something like that. Its an awesome Unreal Engine resource. I have two 23 inch monitors, so the video was on the right, and the Editor was open on the left, it is/was learn/re-learn and do at the same time.

Some of the 3D Buzz videos may exist on Youtube, but the quality may be questionable.

Search for Angel Mapper - Rachel Cordone, she has some tutorials up as well. I think this forum has a large repository of additional resources as well. I'd search for mapping tutorials and it may help you along.

I currently am knocking the cobwebs loose myself. I haven't messed with the Unreal Engine for mapping in over 10 years, so honestly, I too have to revert to watching the 3D Buzz videos and go, "oh yeah, I remember that ! " .

Last edited:
Upvote 0