• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Problem/Exploit with the PTRS vs T-34

LogisticEarth

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Recently, I've noticed that the T-34 is extremely vunerable to the PTRS from the front, almost ridiculously so. Against a skilled AT guy, it seems that you can trash the T-34 with your first magazine, and before the tank has any chance to respond. It often goes something like this:

Hit 1: MG down
Hit 2: Driver down
Hit 3: Loader down
Hit 4&5: Commander killed/turret traverse disabled/main gun damaged

All within a few seconds. It's increadible annoying and unrealistic, at least to be happening so frequently.

What may be happening is that PTRS is, for some reason, able to penetrate the front of the T-34's turret on a regular occasion, and kill the loader. Since it seems that AI crewmembers will very quickly warp into the loader position when he is killed, it is possible to just keep nailing the crewmember in the loader position, and completely decrew the tank down to the commander, who they then pick off last.

This is increadibly frustrating, one gunner who knows what he's doing will basically be able to keep the tank completely out of action, and if two are present, forget about it. Seeing how there are four AT gunners on a full server, this is a bit of a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? So far I've only seen the problem on the T-34

Most people have said that the T34 seems to have tissue paper for front armor.

It's odd, because I know I've seen many people plink away all day at my front armor in a T-34, and I can even deflect the odd shot from a PIV. But when the guy knows where to shoot, it's lights out way too quickly.

I can't even test this out myself because it seems you need a half-full server to even spawn tanks.

Upvote 0
It seems like when I get in the Panzer, the first shot is a crew kill, the second or third shot gets the commander, and the 4th puts them down.

It's like 20% of the time, one of those front armor shots to the T34 is just magical. And yet to you can pound 10 shells into the non-critical areas of a Panzer's flank...and it does nothing.

Upvote 0
- T-34's weak spot on the left side of it's front turret armor (coaxial MG). This makes disabling or even destroying the T-34 from the front and huge distance way to easy.
PZ4 has no such weakness on it's turret or front armor plate. Even the MG and Driver view ports seem to be invincible.

- THE RELOAD BUG: Choice mentioned it already. But he is not completely right about it. When using the Panzerb

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Doubtful it could penetrate the T34 / PIV frontal armour anywhere. The PTRD could sometimes penetrate up to 40mm armour at 100m which would basically rule out a frontal penetration. Throw on top of that the bullet would often shatter against the armour instead of penetrating and what you have is a weapon that's pretty much useless except as an anti-material weapon to be used against half-tracks, trucks, etc. Aiming at the viewing ports was a tactic that was abandoned in short order as it was pretty futile. Anti-tank weapons had to go the shaped-charge route before they could be effective against tanks such as the T-34 and PIV.

Upvote 0
I would be willing to help test. Maybe get a enough people to spawn tanks and take turns firing at them with various weapons :)

It would be good practice, and being able to map out each tank's weak spots would be useful info for the player base.

I would be really interested in seeing/helping out with this. really curious as to where all the different weak points on the tanks are.

Upvote 0