• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [preview] RO-WilhelmPlatz feat. Reichskanzlei

I was thinking a "what if" Map based on a hypothetical assault on the Fuhrer Bunker would make a good map.

Before there were great computer games like RO, there was a series of old board, cardboard unit, and dice game (i.e., a board game; I'm probably a little older than most of you guys) from the 1980's called Squad Leader by the Avalon Hill Company, PA, U.S.A. (the original family that owned the company sold it for a few million dollars in the 1990's; now the company is basically just known only for the game Axis & Allies; but they had a ton of WWII, WWI, and other historical conflict based board games (Rome) and even a few financial (Stocks and Bonds) and negotiation type games [former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger said he enjoyed Avalon Hill's game Diplomacy]).

There were just SS Units; they didn't have Hitler or other high-ranking Third Reich leaders as Leader units. Squad Leader was a very historically based game and unabashedly so, except for this scenario which was published by Avalon Hill in a gaming magazine. It had SS units; Russian units also could "go beserk" and improve their fighting abilities that way; but then, I don't think the game had as large an international following like RO (I've noticed with RO there is somewhat of a controversy between players who would like a more historically based game and those who want a more arcade "shoot 'em up" style without some of the controversial units or insignia of the war).

I remember they had Red Guard units for the Soviets which was a standard unit throughout all the Squad Leader East Front scenarios.

Upvote 0
well the assault did take place, but the primary objective was to capture the reichskanzlei as a symbol of german political power. most of the german high command generals and officers were taken prisoner in the basements of the kanzlei and not in the nearby safer fuhrerbunker. mainly because nobody wanted to get captured in that bunker and be associated to hitler.

the russians had tried for several days to reach the wilhelmplatz to assault the kanzlei, but french ss volunteers stopped them verry effectively.
the russians lost about 60 tanks in 2 days to panzerfausts just to advance a few streets.

but i don't really understand what your point is with your post?

Upvote 0
Skins for that can be done rather easily, and were done, it's just that I didn't want to burden the client with what I felt were unnecessary downloads.

Also the bedframes would be a tricky issue, considering for instance the schurzen thing that the Panzer IV H has going effects the side armor value of the vehicle, so to apply similar anti-panzerfaust measures on the T-34 would be a pain due to people being left unable to shoot between the bedframes. If I'm wrong, Ramm can correct me.

Upvote 0
Skins for that can be done rather easily, and were done, it's just that I didn't want to burden the client with what I felt were unnecessary downloads.

Also the bedframes would be a tricky issue, considering for instance the schurzen thing that the Panzer IV H has going effects the side armor value of the vehicle, so to apply similar anti-panzerfaust measures on the T-34 would be a pain due to people being left unable to shoot between the bedframes. If I'm wrong, Ramm can correct me.

Yes- i was thinking of the problem of the tank itself ending up as a model of far too many tris, but coding to limit the protection just to the areas covered by the frames indeed would be a mammoth undertaking, completely re-writing the armour system I guess.

Upvote 0
My hope for the future is that we have a 50 player "Battle for Berlin" server.

The rotation would be on a hinge. (if russians win, they advance to the next "level")

All this is made possible by the hard work of mapper/modders who want to up the ante in terms of map quality.

The rotation would be like so:

RO_Kriegstadt
RO_Konigsplatz
RO_Parizer Platz
and now: RO_Wilhelm Platz.

All we need is an epic Seelow Heights map and we've got it made.

Changed our Kriegstadt 24/7-Server to a "Battle of Berlin"-Server. The rotation is:

Kriegstadt
Konigsplatz
PariserPlatzIII

and if SH finished his map, there will be WilhelmsPlatz on this server.

194.60.68.73:7757 [PzDF] RO#5 - Battle of Berlin

I

Upvote 0