• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Kriegstadt: Der Untergang Berlins

It would be interesting if the Germans (and maybe the Soviets too) had access to Molotov Cocktails, cause this is the kind of environment that they would be useful.

Whoa, that would be a cool weapon. Like the flamethrower idea was discussed before but never surfaced. Can't imagine the coding nightmare involved with it since not only players could be on fire but vehicles, terrain, brushes and meshes too. Damage calculations would be interesting too from a little fire to alot of fire. Still it would be way cool.

Upvote 0
now we will actually have 3 maps that follow each other up, if someone makes a mutator we could have a true online multiplayer dynamic campaign.

why not make a small battle of berlin mod? with all the custom skins, vehicles and weapons that are specific to 1945 battles? on pariserplatz i already have a random custom skin mutator, and volkssturm units. im trying to get new vehicle skins for both teams that would fit in a 1945 map.

Upvote 0
Whoa, that would be a cool weapon. Like the flamethrower idea was discussed before but never surfaced. Can't imagine the coding nightmare involved with it since not only players could be on fire but vehicles, terrain, brushes and meshes too. Damage calculations would be interesting too from a little fire to alot of fire. Still it would be way cool.

Molotovs...anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFK5Q_IzzHE

Upvote 0
Eh, while Molotovs were used in the AT role extensively in the Winter War, I thought they were also used extensively (still in the AT role) during WWII, because infantry on all sides still had some decent portable AT shortages (I think especially in the Early war.)

I think they were used at the very least more extensively than 10 pd satchel charges.

Anyways, those Molotovs seemed to be anti-infantry. Molotovs need to be modeled as primarily either in the AT role, or in some kind of suppression/room clearing role. Making them AT may be difficult, considering they would need to hit on top of the engine.

Upvote 0
Eh, while Molotovs were used in the AT role extensively in the Winter War, I thought they were also used extensively (still in the AT role) during WWII, because infantry on all sides still had some decent portable AT shortages (I think especially in the Early war.)
Well in terms of thrown weapons Russians did have AT grenades, and Germans, if they had to could strap the heads of several grenades to one grenade and use it as an anti-tank weapon.

I just think a molotov is a bit too much of a makeshift weapon to be included.

Upvote 0
Not for Soviet state-produced standard issue Molotovs. I always got the impression that this was a really solid element of the landscape of WWII, especially in the East. Heck, Home Army in Warsaw had either that or PIATs. Or PzFsts. And so did Soviets, when pressed for resources in places like Stalingrad. And so did the Huns, when the bear was upon them. No?

Upvote 0
That bridge is gonna be a killer...
I can see a crossfire of 2 mg42's from either side of the bridge, effectively making cover reduced to 0 as the sidewalls will be useless then ^^
In what way will the mg42's be improved? Accuracy, or is there more to it?

And if its as massive as i assume it will be, it will drag down fps on this computer like i dont know what lol...
God, im glad i'll be getting my new pc in a couple of weeks, all top notch stuff :)

Upvote 0
I'm still killing myself trying to make optimizations (I spent several hours converting a series of ruins in to static meshes -- properly. that's why it took a few hours). Ultimately I'm going to try to gauge performance from the people playing the map during testing, as I range anywhere from 40-80fps in the streets on all maximum settings, plus some stuff in the Nvidia console. At the same time though I also have an 8800GTS, so, who knows.

In regard to the new MG42:
  • The spread of the bullets is reduced to make the bullets hit mostly where the weapon is pointing.
  • The recoil has been adjusted such that the MG is not flying uncontrollably all over the place. I'm still trying to tweak it such that it thrusts backward as the MG42 did.
  • The weapon will operate on 250 round ammo belts instead of 100 round ammo belts as per stock RO. However, the player will only start with one in their weapon (so x0 in the lower left corner) and may only be resupplied with one additional belt to make for a total of 500 rounds at any given time.
  • The weapon will begin to overheat after approximately 230 rounds (as opposed to what feels like 60-80 rounds in stock RO) have been fired on full automatic, meaning that the Axis player may keep sustained fire up for longer without the worry of his barrel melting. To compensate for this, the cooldown rate has been reduced.
  • Tracer ammunition fires less frequently and makes the weapon a Maschinengewehr instead of a Maschinengeflare. Essentially, the tracers are now subdued in the color (a pale yellow) and are thinner and shorter than stock RO tracers, with the glowing emitter removed as well. This should make it easier for the weapon to be concealed, as it should be harder to locate, especially if fired in bursts.
I may have missed a few points, but that's the basic synopsis.

Also, just to dispel the speculation, the map will not feature Molotovs.

Upvote 0