• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Kriegstadt: Der Untergang Berlins

Something like this?

berlin.jpg

After chatting with one of my IC buddies on the subject earlier, you can probably expect to see stuff like that and other graffiti throughout the map, but not everywhere of course. Just places where I deem it most fitting. However, as those are minor details, I will wait a while before getting to them and concentrate more on getting a lot of my stuff coded so it will be fit for testing when the time comes.

EDIT: I really would have appreciated that ISU-152 getting done. Alas...

Upvote 0
there will be plenty of Panzerfausts everywhere. The only good you picking them up will be is to give them to Germans when you die.

Of course, you could get rid of sappers altogether and have several key points with 'weakened wall' destructible static meshes to be blasted to create mouseholes. Apparently it happened a lot in the Battle for Berlin, although the demolition capacities of a shaped charge are probably somewhat limited.

Upvote 0
Something like this?

berlin.jpg

After chatting with one of my IC buddies on the subject earlier, you can probably expect to see stuff like that and other graffiti throughout the map, but not everywhere of course. Just places where I deem it most fitting. However, as those are minor details, I will wait a while before getting to them and concentrate more on getting a lot of my stuff coded so it will be fit for testing when the time comes.

EDIT: I really would have appreciated that ISU-152 getting done. Alas...

Yeah, graffiti like that would be great. Also note in that pic that not all plant life is gone.

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cooler if the Russians had to actually cross the bridge before capping the final objective? Like the bridgeheads in Danzig.

Either that, or make one of the buildings the final objective. The large building on the right (Russian perspective) on the German side of the bridge was the final objective in Moltke Bridge, but I have no idea if fighting inside that building was actually fun, considering reinforcements ran out before the Russians could make it to the other side. Maybe a bridgehead is better.

I just think that it would be more interesting for gameplay if the Russians have to make it across the bridge instead of "just" sitting on it and capping.

Thanks for the hard work Hobo. Looks like this will be another classic. Looks really good already.

Upvote 0
For the sake of not having a lot of destructible meshes, I've got the mouseholes already there and arranged in such a way that the Allies will need to fight through one or two buildings and then cross the street in to another series to advance, so that they can't just stay indoors the entire time much like the Axis would almost always stay underground in Leningrad such that there was little to no street fighting. Gorlitz on the other hand is almost all street fighting, so I want to create a healthy balance between the two.

EDIT:
I just think that it would be more interesting for gameplay if the Russians have to make it across the bridge instead of "just" sitting on it and capping.

They will need to make it to the other side. One doesn't capture a bridge by standing in the middle of it, you have to secure the length of it -- by capturing the opposite bridgehead. While the cap extends slightly on the the end of the bridge and in to the Kronprinzen, it is still listed as being the "Moltke Bridge."

Upvote 0
As for those white rings on Soviet tank turrets - I vaguely remember reading somewhere (perhaps in Beevor's Berlin: The Downfall 1945) that those rings were to mark that that particular vehicle was taking part in the assault on Berlin. Which I guess the Soviets copied out from D-Day invasion stripes ;)

Upvote 0
Being as I can't read Russian, if you could find any other accounts of the battle, it would help me a lot.
I've researched the biggest collection of Russian ww2 material with different results - it depends, what do you want to find. From all books about Berlin in 45 only one mentions dragon teeth on Moltke bridge, in several places (that is, pages), but at the same, it is the most detailed desciption of combat for the bridge I've found. This episode isn't described very detailed in memoirs, writers tend to give more attention to Himmler's house and Reichstag itself. If you want, I can translate description of combat in Himmler's house.

Upvote 0
Well I'm still debating whether or not I want combat to take place in Himmler's House despite its significance (mainly because the Russians tanks would, at that point, probably be useless). I have left room for it objectives-wise, so I will need to figure it all out in time. But anything you could translate would help out immensely -- its quite a favor.

Upvote 0
OK, I've read several books about 26th, 27th and 28th days of April. I've picked out only description of the situation, without any description of soldeirs' feats etc.
So it's very edited version - only 2 pages of 12 font in Word, so I translated it as I had free time, however I'll send list of books from which I've taken this parts (links, to be exactly).

Berlin was in fire. The sky turned into yellow-brownish colour. Over roaring city, which was covered in ashes from fires, was floating dense cloud of black smoke and dust.

Goingforward. But barricades and heaps of rubble were blocking every tank’s and AT gun’s way. Sappers couldn’t get to this barricades as fascist were holding them under fire. However, Chujkov’s infantry helps us out: they smoke out bastards with flamethrowers.

We knew that German capital has subway, but in the heat of battle we either forgot about it, or just underestimated it from tactical point of view (reinforcements could arrive via underground passages). But this gave germans great chance to maneuver. Using subways, hitlerites could hit us in the rear.

Moabit prison

Gloomy mass of prison was silent. Huge 5-corner building seemed to be waiting our punch and was reading to hit us with all its secret power and anger. Its very thick walls weren’t afraid of bullets and rounds, there were no bars on the windows, every one of them became embrasure (sp? – fire port). It had good circle defense.

Huge iron gates stood out. In courtyard about ten buildings were rising above the massive brick wall.

Direct fire’s, tanks’ and even 122mm SPGs’ rounds could do nothing with its powerful walls. Every our maneuver hitlerites were meeting with fire storm.
Soon from through window of a house on Alt Moabit we saw truck towing a gun. It should stand to the right of kirche on open space in front of the prison, in 300-650 m distance.
After few minutes gun fired with heavy crash and the very first round took out a massive part of a wall. Artillery men fire round after round, German return-fire less and less, Germans are definitely in panic, and then our infantry breaks into the prison. Short fight – and Germans capitulate.

After taking the Moabit prison 1st battalion begun good advance on Alt Moabit’s street. But in short time – new obstacle – 5 story П-shaped building (it was Ministry of Finances). Its right side was looking at Alt Moabit. Hitlerites had a powerful supporting point here and had every approach to it under heavy fire.
After 15 min artillery fire 6th company swiftly broke into it had its garrison divided on 2 parts. In that very time 4th and 5th companies assaulted the building from different sides. Thebuildingwascompletelycleanby 18 PM. This let 1s tbattalion to try and cap the Moltke bridge.

Entrance to Moltke bridge was blocked by a wall 1.5m high and not less than a 1m thick. The other end had the same wall, all bridge had dragon teeth. All this – against our tanks. Try cleaning the way under fire…

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Bolt, I appreciate that. The Moabit prison was going to be initial Soviet spawn, but I canned it because it had a rather ornate construction about it that I didn't think I should have spent my time own. While that was on the right side of the Altmoabitstrasse, the Soviets will be spawning and fighting through the left. I wish I had more research and info on the battle beforehand, but what's done is done. I can still apply the info on the Moltke Bridge and Himmler's House though; to make the whole of the buildings on the opposite bank of the Spree in flames to create a hellish scene with the Reichstag present through the smoke...ah, it would be something to see, no?

Anyway, progress report:

MG42 has undergone coding and other necessary changes. I won't say everything, but I'll tell you that it has the making of a potent weapon. I actually had to nerf what I did somewhat, otherwise it probably would have been outlawed by Geneva...but it is completely useable for play now.

Russian Greatcoats are getting the finishing touches. Stripes on the Soviet tanks have been done as well, I'm tweaking their speeds to be faster than infantry walking but slower than infantry sprinting (just by a bit).

No screenshots just yet...I like to take my time on these things.

Upvote 0
While historically I found a lot of evidence to support the usage of basements, I couldn't determine how best to implement them. In any case, for the final version, the bulk of the building foundations will have rubble on or around them which would cover basement viewports in any case.
I guess that makes sense. Sandbags in some of the windows to make it harder to be shot at while you shoot out would be cool though.

I really hope Russian players will use the cover they're given (the tanks and buildings) instead of just rushing down the street and getting mowed down by these new fearsome German machineguns.

Upvote 0