• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Preview of Myshkova River

FlashPanHunter

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
Of the many half finished and experiment maps Ive put together, I thought this had the most potential, so I'm going to try and finish it up and release it. The map concept is actually one I've had since the mod days: it's an attack across a river in an attempt to break through russian lines and relieve the german armies surrounded in stalingrad. The map is pretty big with lots of heavily wooded areas and clusters of small buildings. Germans will have to work their way though this to the river, cross it and secure the far bank, and then capture a large hill overlooking the crossing.

The original plan was for the map to be combined arms, with tanks on both sides, but I am rethinking this after playing some other maps that had this at the relatively short ranges like those on the map. I had been thinking a tiger and a stug attacking a pair of t34-76s on one extreme or just half tracks on the other, so I'm not quite sure how this will work. Probably somewhere in the middle of this.

The map grid is too large to get trenches to work well, so I've put together some foxholes and bunkers for the defence. The map isn't detailed yet, but the heavily forested areas have enough individual trunks that there should be more than enough cover for the attackers.

From the screenshots, you can see how thick the forests are. This is the experimental part of the map. They look like they will run terribly, but in fact they are pretty fast, and currently, the map rarely exceeds 40000 triangles (usually around 20000).

Not sure how long the map will take from this point, but all of the big things are placed, so it hopefully shouldn't take too long. Feedback or suggestions would be great.

Some pics, showing the landscape, some of the defences and the interior of one of the forests.

Nice look. I hate to be the one to ask this first but are there going to be stock skins for the Axis uniforms? It seems like green would stick out in the map. The Allies winter uniform and winter tank/vehicle skins would work well.

Yeah, I've thought about trying to do a winter uniform for the axis, with white helmets to help people differentiate. I would be more inclined to do it if it could be embedded somehow in the level, with out the .u files and stuff.

Upvote 0
The trees look a little too white. Have some green or brown poking through the snow

It's supposed to be a fresh snowfall. I had the texture like this earlier, with some more color, trust me, this looks better.

It needs treestumps and piles of treestems.

Not sure what you mean by tree stems, but I didn't add trunks because there are no real trenches, just small foxholes and sandbag formations.

Upvote 0
Poor Germans...

It has always wonders me why the Germans don't even have a good winter camouflage uniform (the myte that they didn't had any is untrue, that was only for the first winter). The Russians also didn't had winter camo all the time (most of the time they had brown overcoats or yellow stuffed uniforms!).

I hope that you'll do something about it. There already is a great skin for the germans where they have half white/half feldgrau (green) uniforms.

Upvote 0
I might fiddle with the tree textures a little bit, see if I can add some contrasting colors and the like.

I think the gameplay plan might be germans attacking with no hts but a pair of p3s. Soviets defend with only ptrds to take out the tanks, no satchels or at guns. Maybe soviets will get a tank to, probably kv1.

I made an attept at a winter uniform, but it looked pretty terrible. Getting white to work is much harder than camo. I think I saw a thread with some winter german uniforms but I can't find it anymore. Anyone know where this is? Has anyone figured out a good way to implement custom uniforms, without the .u files?

Upvote 0