• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"prestige" perks up to level 10?

Aside from Steam's involvement in perks, this'd be great. Nearly suggested it when I reset my own perks, though I didn't think it'd be well-received.

Gold and otherwise custom skins feel a bit tacky though - I have no problems with adding more stars to the gold perk icon though, or even going from red -> blue -> gold, or red -> silver -> gold. Maybe even add the option to reset all perks once they reach 6 and make it a different color. For example..

Level 0, simple red icon. Level 1, red icon with single star. Level 6 would be silver with 1 star. Once you reach silver in every perk you'd be able to reset back to 0, except your icon would now be gold, with stars respecting your current level - Golden with 6 being the highest.

A few problems with this, but it's not like TW is going to implement it anyway.

Upvote 0
nobody has discussed the needed values to reach it.

It could also be that each level beyond lvl6 takes the same ammount of kills/damage/whatever as it takes to go from lvl5 to lvl6

And yes, skins with golden, or blood splattered guns would be nice, and stuff painted over them like pirate skulls, just an idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If prestige is implemented, I will wear my level 0 tag with honor as I do in MW2. I despise the entire concept, because prestige has nothing to do with skill and yet people still think it somehow means something.

The only time I grudgingly accepted the necessity of prestige was in Alien Swarm, because new players are more likely to listen to someone with a shiny badge, and teamwork is vital in that game.

Upvote 0
If prestige is implemented, I will wear my level 0 tag with honor as I do in MW2. I despise the entire concept, because prestige has nothing to do with skill and yet people still think it somehow means something.

The only time I grudgingly accepted the necessity of prestige was in Alien Swarm, because new players are more likely to listen to someone with a shiny badge, and teamwork is vital in that game.

I think that would probably become the case as well. Currently people listen to people with higher perks more often than those with lower perks on pubs, so it would stay the same in that sense.

Upvote 0
because prestige has nothing to do with skill and yet people still think it somehow means something.

But that's clearly a problem with the people, not with the system.

A prestige rank would only give a hint at the experience (read: play time) a player has with a certain perk.

And it would be a very nice incentive for all players who have already reached their top level.

Pointwise I agree with the lvl5-to-lvl6 amount, it's not too much or too little. I doubt more than 1% of the players would reach the top tier prestige rank of a perk anyway.

I'd like to see this implemented, pleeaaase Tripwire!!

Reactions: Foxyfired and Yin
Upvote 0
Pointwise I agree with the lvl5-to-lvl6 amount, it's not too much or too little. I doubt more than 1% of the players would reach the top tier prestige rank of a perk anyway.

But are those one percent the good players? There are many top tier players that spend many hours testing maps or playing mutators where you don't level perks. Even just playing the game, you don't level all that fast compared to people purposefully grinding or even exploiting.

By making tough to get perk levels, you are just encouraging exploiters and talentless grinders. If you enjoy the game, then you probably continue to play without the need for additional perk levels.

Upvote 0
Who would care about that? There's a difference between skill and experience, experience = good; skill = good; experience + skill = good. Gameplay shows skill, rank shows experience (playtime, knowledge on how the game works atleast somewhat, hundreds of hours should be enough for that.)
If most of it earned on well done custom maps or official maps, yes sure.
But if it were earned on a perk boosters servers, where player just killing spawning species behind cover, there no useful skills or experience at all.

Upvote 0
I don't see any news here as people mostly assume level 6 players are skilled and experienced. :p
I believe you mean you think this. Between people resetting their perks, playing unwhitelisted content, and transitioning over from KF-mod, assuming anything from their perk level is negligent at best.

I have seen level 6 players die wave 2-4 on suicidal and quit immediately. They show little skill and disappear at the first sign of difficulty.

Granted this isn't always the case. However, during normal gameplay, the number of hours required to reach level 6 can vary from quite some time to way too long. So ask yourself when you see a level 10, "Did this guy actually spend 1000+ hours playing KF?"

Upvote 0
By making tough to get perk levels, you are just encouraging exploiters and talentless grinders. If you enjoy the game, then you probably continue to play without the need for additional perk levels.

Exactly this. I pretty much only play Commando and Support on suicidal. I have Demo, Zerker, and FB that are only about lvl 3. I still play commando and support even though they are way over level 6, because I really enjoy those classes. I am not going to level up classes I hate playing just to have them all at 6. Not bashing those classes, but I just don't care for playing them.

Upvote 0
My suggestion for the perk levels after level 6.

level 7: points required 11M (2x5,5m, 2xlevel 6)
level 8: points required 22M (2x11M)
level 9: points required 66M (3x22M)
level 10: points required 132M (2x66M)

Perk features would increase after level6 but the increase would be smaller at each level (dimishing returns..).

Zerker should get this tool at level 10:

YouTube - Harley Chainsaw

(listen to the sound). Sound should be implemented in the game, fp would drop in one sweep:D

Upvote 0
Perk features would increase after level6 but the increase would be smaller at each level (dimishing returns..).
No. Never again. Discounts are already too high. Damage bonuses are too high. High level perks make turn really good tier 3 weapons into autocannons with hero clips.

Assuming additional perk levels were added, they MUST be purely cosmetic. But then why bother. I'm sure TWI is swamped with HOS and it will be forever until they get time to put any prolonged effort into KF. So we should not waste their time with pointless additives, but rather find more worthwhile additions.

Upvote 0
In response to the higher bonuses with higher levels, i'm going to repeat myself, for those that haven't been here long enough, or ignored that particular post i made.

Have each level grant 1/10th of the bonus the do now. While this would make the lower levels gimped into being stuck on Normal/Hard for a hell of a long time, it would allow for 60 levels with the same reward as 6 levels now.

Upvote 0