• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Prestige - or whatever you want to call it

I'm crawling out of the dark dungeon I reside in to revive a suggestion I posted wayyyyyyyyy back in the ye-olde days of August 2009.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35314http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35314

The idea was that, once you max out all your perks, you can revert all your stats to Level 1 for some kind of in-game reward, such as a badge next to your name in the scoreboard, or some kind of cool effect on your character (like an emitter that covers your character in some sort of aura), etc. This is highly akin to "Prestige" in the COD series of games, in which a player sacrifices their perks/weapons for a veterancy logo that displays next to their name.

Whatever the reward, it could possibly be scalable with the number of times a user commits to this option (badges that stack up next to the player's name, or the emitter-based aura could become increasingly brighter with each 'prestige', you get the idea).

When I originally posted this, it seemed to garner some support from the fan-base, as it provided a simplistic way to make the game infinitely replayable. The rewards should be harmless in terms of game-balance, and the only encouragement to 'prestige' would be gaining a visual indicator that says, "Hey, I made it to level 6 in all my perks, but I got bored of being level 6 all the time, so I reset my stats to do it all over again!"

I also must stress that the option be made available when ALL perks reach level 6. This forces the player to experience all aspects of the game from each perk before they are able to reset their stats and snag the veterancy title. This also prevents someone from playing Sharpshooter in solo-mode all the time so they can rack up level 6 in a few days, and then prestige over and over again.

Finally, the option to prestige is just that: AN OPTION. Nobody has to commit to it if they don't want to. Once players hit level 6 in all perks, maybe they want to hang out at that level for a while. When they're finally comfortable and ready to take the plunge of playing through KF again, they hit the prestige button.

I'm reviving this topic for discussion since, in the two years since the original post, there are a lot of fresh new faces on these forums whose input I would like hear. Feel free to have at it.

Last edited:
Also, I find some perks boring, and would hate to be forced to play them. I have 1400 hours in, and zerk and fb are only lvl 4, but I have 100k headshots and 85M as commando.

You could have the prestige set to lvl 6 requirements, so my 85M and 34k stalkers, when I played as commando, it would be multiple prestiges or something automatically, basically, it would take what I have above lvl 6, and add a "prestige" for every time I had a complete 6 above that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so are people thinking this sort of thing would be a requirement?

i think i read in the original post that it would be "OPTIONAL", meaning, you dont have to do it if you dont want to, but if there are people out there who would re-level all their lvl6 perks, just for a badge, or aura, or whatever, then more power to them for making that decision for themselves.

so if you dont want to redo your perks, then don't do it. jeez, like there's a gun to your head or something from those replies above.

Upvote 0

i think i read in the original post that it would be "OPTIONAL", meaning, you dont have to do it if you dont want to, but if there are people out there who would re-level all their lvl6 perks, just for a badge, or aura, or whatever, then more power to them for making that decision for themselves.

so if you dont want to redo your perks, then don't do it. jeez, like there's a gun to your head or something from those replies above.
Read Gibby's post and don't assume that because it's not required it's automatically beneficial

Upvote 0
if people want to level up all over again, which they have BEEN doing whenever they reset their perks, again by their decision, then who are you to say how and why they should do it?
if they get a little badge by their name that let's everyone know they are re-leveling, then so what?
we've already got a stringent whitelist, so they can't exploit a map just for leveling up, and if they are able to keep their own at low levels, how does it affect you personally? besides jealousy.

anyways, i'll work on making a mutator for this to be used with serverperks mut, you'll probably have to message the server admin to reset your levels manually though, and add the "aura/badge" mut to your id.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0

It wouldn't be required, but some people may think it's the next step in gameplay progression.

Other people might use it as another form of elitism, sort of like:

"You didn't prestige 15 times? You're a worthless noob. GTFO my game and kill yourself"

Which is obviously a bad attitude we shouldn't encourage. Elitism isn't a good way to act, and someone with a prestige may belittle one who hasn't prestiged and/or can't just yet.

Reactions: GeneralLeo1994
Upvote 0
It wouldn't be required, but some people may think it's the next step in gameplay progression.

Other people might use it as another form of elitism, sort of like:

"You didn't prestige 15 times? You're a worthless noob. GTFO my game and kill yourself"

Which is obviously a bad attitude we shouldn't encourage. Elitism isn't a good way to act, and someone with a prestige may belittle one who hasn't prestiged and/or can't just yet.

wait a secound... you use about 200-300 hours to do all perks level 6. how the hell would someone get 15times prestige xD I bet those people will be bugged for beeing a no life instead of the others getting bugged of beeing noobs :p

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
You know how at the moment perk levels 1 to 5 are red and 6 is gold. Why not have 1 to 6 be red for the first run and prestige-ing grants you a gold 1 to 6?

And arguments against this based on elitism are weak seeing as the game already has a levelling system that clearly shows the rest of the team how "good" you are as well as giving you clear advantages the higher your level. Elitists are very few and far between despite this and I don't see how adding the opportunity to prestige would increase their numbers.

Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0
I support the idea of getting a badge next to your perk icon if you get another 6 levels-worth of stuff. Resetting in this game doesn't prove a thing, since leveling simply gives you bonuses and discounts with certain weapons, which is NOT what CoD does (all damage is constant).

I mean like, I just hit 140k healpoints with my medic, and I think it'd be pretty neat to have a badge for hitting 200k, but that's just me.

Or maybe, this thread is just crying out for a new perk level...?

Upvote 0