• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Preparing your level for download

DingBat

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Hi,

Potentially, any custom map could include:

- The map file.
- One or more custom texture packages
- One or more custom static mesh packages.

When downloaded, these files will have to be placed in the appropriate folder under your red orchestra folder in your steamapps area.

- Maps are placed a folder called "Maps"
- Textures go into a folder called "Textures"
- Static mesh packages are placed in a folder called "StaticMeshes"

Now, it would be a lot easier for those downloading your maps if you did this for them automatically. When zipping up your maps do it in such a way that the zip file already contains the proper folders. Normally, I wouldn't recommend this but it will definitely make the lives of your customers easier.

Create your zip file using relative path names and include the maps, textures, and static mesh folders. Even if your map is not accompanied by custom texture or mesh packages, you should do this.

I hope this was clear. If not, let me know and I'll try again. :)

Cheers.

I've got a map ready to test - do I just upload the .rom to my server? - is there anything else I need to do (with the new textures I imported etc.)?

I'm talking about people coming to the server and getting the % downloaded message. Also I can't seem to get the new map to appear on my web server admin so that I can put it into the rotation.

The reason I ask is because, although my map works when i play it through RO-Ed - it doesn't when I try to practice it in RO - I usually have to delete the prefetch after each editting session to get RO to work without BSOD - is there some connection?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bump --- Good Questions---

*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
I've got a map ready to test - do I just upload the .rom to my server? - is there anything else I need to do (with the new textures I imported etc.)?

I'm talking about people coming to the server and getting the % downloaded message. Also I can't seem to get the new map to appear on my web server admin so that I can put it into the rotation.

The reason I ask is because, although my map works when i play it through RO-Ed - it doesn't when I try to practice it in RO - I usually have to delete the prefetch after each editting session to get RO to work without BSOD - is there some connection?

Upvote 0

As I posted in another section the reason I got this error is embarrassingly simple: I had a . in the map name and this was b0rking UCC - hence no caches

Oooops!

Upvote 0
Corollary to previous question: if someone downloads an unzipped version of the .rom off, say, our website and they don't have SDK, which folder should the map go into? The maps folder only comes into being when you run SDK 1st time IIRC.

Also, if I import all textures into myLevel when making the map then surely I do not need to include these again in the download (and that goes for any funky file structure as well)?

Upvote 0
Also, if I import all textures into myLevel when making the map then surely I do not need to include these again in the download (and that goes for any funky file structure as well)?

Correct... anything put in the MyLevel package is included in the .rom file (and will similary increase it's file size.. so don't stick huge uncompressed textures in it :p )

Upvote 0
I never save em and have no problems with them at all. Not a clue what they serve for though. What I found on it:

3DBuzz said:
When I close UED I always get messageboxes that ask me if I want to save package[x], whats this about?

If it asks to save package[x] simply click no.
If its some other package that you have created you will probably want yes. Say no if you modify an official package.

Upvote 0
This is in my RO.ini on the gameserver

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=30.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=15000
MaxInternetClientRate=10000
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0