• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Practical use for C4?

Fouts

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2015
So Demo had always been my main class in this game. Got to level 25 before the much-needed rework. One thing that I've never really used is the C4. Even back when you couldn't carry both the M79 and the RPG I would only use the c4 to clear out zeds if I was surrounded.

My question to you all is is there any real reason or tactics for C4 use? I mostly play hard and suicidal and can take out most large zeds with 3-4 RPG's. When it comes down to it I'd rather have the M79/M203 as a backup than C4.

I just personally see the C4 as it currently stands as, well, useless. Your thoughts?

Recently I've been playing SWAT solo suicide and I did find 2 uses for c4.

1. With FPs I'll toss a grenade or 2 and stun them, run up toss a c4 on their head/chest (if possible ) and as it charges me I wait for them to open up their arms, dump as many shots as possible into it's sweet spot, it hits me, try and jump so he sends me flying, he's cooled down, get some distance between us and press the button. Usually it finishes it off, sometimes needs a few shots to the head. Or if it's charging already I'll toss the c4 on it, get hit, cools down, get some space, unload into it's chest and head, rages, boom, dead.

2. With Hans I'll blast away at him until he's close to healing, I'll toss a c4 on him. When his shield comes up I'll let him run a way a little bit, blow the c4 and drop the 2nd one so that it's between us, ( moving backwards ) I'll pepper his shield and if it's possible I'll blow the second c4 when he gets to it - usually no more shield.

Upvote 0
The thing about C4 is that it's immediate heavy damage (it has a base damage of 820 for goodness' sake). It would have been useful for sustained burst damage if Tripwire didn't implement that exponential damage resistance when you blow up more than one C4 within three seconds, but it's still a huge spike of damage that's great for starting or ending a fight with big zeds. Plus, it does so much damage that it immediately kills every small and medium zed within it's radius, so it's great as a panic button since it's also less expensive (ammo-wise) and less dangerous to you than dynamite. C4 isn't as useful as an M79 or M16/203 for doing general trash clearing, yes, but with an RPG-7, C4 and full load of dynamite nothing can stop you because you have so much damage at your disposal. Plus, at least in my opinion, using the M79 with the RPG-7 is uncomfortably close to redundant and the M16/203 is an expensive pile o' crap, so I prefer using C4 and the MedPistol along with the best Gunslinger pistol I can afford.

C4 would probably look more enticing if they knocked a weight block off of the HX25 so that you could wield them both with the RPG-7.

Upvote 0
not sure if they changed it at some point or its the change to the zeds, but the C4 feels a lot better than i remembered it. so its okish to kill FPs when you cant afford a RPG, still it's lacks a bit to be part of a main setup. a bit less weight and some knockdown could do.

Upvote 0
It's true that I often skip them... But if I have a good team, I sometimes trade my HX-25 for some C4! It deals a good blast and cleans a place nicely. I mostly use them as ground control/mines , but I sometimes make an agressive use of them too! For example in a chokepoint where a lot of trash just spawned. Or against an incoming fleshpound if he survived my first rocket.

As a demo, you can blast a good zone like that, and finding a new C4 with each ammo pack is always a potent addition. For any other perk... It can bring some firepower. It's not as useful as the pipebomb though... But it's far cheaper too.

Upvote 0
Something i like to do that can be done now thanks to a few changes is walk right up to a FP and plant 2 C4 on him, backpedal a bit and fire a RPG to his face (with the skills that blow him far away) then detonate a C4 while he is in the air, then wait till the last moment for the second, it wont kill him but almost, if someone else helps he is pretty much done, not particulary practical but fun enough.

Upvote 0
Fouts;n2270376 said:
So far I've found one good use for C4.

Plant it on The Patriarch while you're fighting him. Detonate it when he's running away to help finish him off. Also you can just leave one on him during his final phase and detonate it so that you deal the finishing blow :cool:

yee some times i do that to and i do it if there is not commando in team

Upvote 0
Fouts;n2270786 said:
I have noticed some inconsistencies when planting multiple C4's on both Hans and Patriarch in terms of detonation.

Not sure if it's a glitch but I've noticed that when detonating multiple C4's only one of the C4's will do damage and all the others seem to disappear.
I've noticed the same thing. It was pretty consistent with Commando and Medic, but when I tried with Berserker they were inexplicably missing. I think the Pulverizer heavy attack might be destroying them or something.

Upvote 0
In my opinion C4 has only 1 use now, to unhide Patriarcs ( making him to look like an Christmas tree ) when there is no commando in the team...
The damage was reduced in a way that you cant kill an scrake with it anymore, even in zedtime, it cant do much damage to FP anymore, it cant do much damage to Hans and Patriarc anymore, so I dont think its usefull right now.

Upvote 0