• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Potential Fixes For Loading Issues

My friend has been experiencing this issue since the last large update. He has tried disabling the page file and it did not help. Pretty sure he modified the CacheSizeMegs in the ini as well. He is using Vista 64bit.

In case this helps you guys track down the issue, my friend noticed that the problem only starts occurring on the second map loading. The first time he joins a game the map will load fast like it should, but all the subsequent map loading will take over 2 minutes to complete.

Upvote 0
Try this thread...

Try this thread...

My friend has been experiencing this issue since the last large update. He has tried disabling the page file and it did not help. Pretty sure he modified the CacheSizeMegs in the ini as well. He is using Vista 64bit.

In case this helps you guys track down the issue, my friend noticed that the problem only starts occurring on the second map loading. The first time he joins a game the map will load fast like it should, but all the subsequent map loading will take over 2 minutes to complete.

This thread addresses your friends issue...
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38803[/URL]

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of people are having similar but not exactly the same issues. The common denominator seems to be freezing, hanging, crashing, or extremely long load times on the index screen.

This fix appears to solve most, if not all, of those problems...

Remember that modifying your page file can affect Windows and other programs. Which is why I didn't try it. I knew the problem was within the game so I continued looking for a fix for the game and found the thread I noted above. It didn't sound exactly like my problems either but it had enough similarities to be worth a shot. (I got lucky and it worked)

I'm running windows XP on a single 3ghz processor w/4 gbs of RAM. And I see more posts with problems in Vista than XP. So it is possible that XP, Vista, and Win 7 users may all experience slightly different symptoms caused by the same bad files.

Of course it may be something completely different, but I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Update....

Update....

The fix I linked in the thread stopped working after Steam downloaded files into my KF folder.

I don't know why Steam downloaded anything into my KF folder because the game showed 100% ready...

Now I'm crashing again...

If I could find a way to keep Steam out of my KF files after I repaired them I'd probably still be playing...

I'll update this if I become aware of a permanent fix that doesn't involve modifying my page or cache files...

Upvote 0
The fix I linked in the thread stopped working after Steam downloaded files into my KF folder.

I don't know why Steam downloaded anything into my KF folder because the game showed 100% ready...

Now I'm crashing again...

If I could find a way to keep Steam out of my KF files after I repaired them I'd probably still be playing...

I'll update this if I become aware of a permanent fix that doesn't involve modifying my page or cache files...

I re-uploaded the new set of files. I'm gonna have to upload them every time they patch KF until steam fixes it =(

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, Zets, upon further testing, we believe that its not the amount of memory that we're using that causes things to get thrown in the Page File and cause long loads, but it's actually the number of requests for memory that the Unreal Engine makes. We believe we have crossed some threshold in Windows Vista and Windows 7(probably 65536 requests). This is an Unreal Engine problem in the way it functions at its core, which we may not be able to simply fix without rewriting the engine. Normally, any application looking to utilize a large chunk of memory would combine all similar requests into a single request in order to improve performance, which is probably how it's done in more modern engines. With this type of intelligent single request system, on top of being faster itself, it also never maxes out the number of requests allowed before the Operating System says "Enough! Use the Page File for future requests!"

This is our current understanding of what's happening, but we are continuing to look into any possible fixes that we may implement ourselves to resolve this issue.

Any more info on how tricks are going with this 65000 threshold issue Xienen? I'm still having issues with this, and I've posted most of my results back in the Bugs section of the forums.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38775

With the exception of I've also tried the -noprefetch start up command, I've also set the nvidia profile for KF not to use the multiple display performance mode (Duel View), and just to use the single display mode giving how some people had issues with sli, but to no avail.

I was thinking of heading back there to turn off threaded optimizations from default auto setting to off instead, and failing that then I'll set it to on and post back with results.

Upvote 0
Same here, before 2 or 3 updates everthing was fine no lags, no connection or mapchange issues, but since the updates this really get my nerves. Stuck lodingsceen and stuff...

I have a very decent machine, and Im sure its not my hardware or connection:

Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Processors: Intel QuadCore i7 940 @ 3,8 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe X58
Memory: 6 GB Corsair DDR3 1600 XMS3 CL8 Dominator
Graphics Card: eVGA e-GeForce GTX 280 SSC 1024MB
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
Harddisc: 128 GB SSD 2,5 Corsair P128 GB2D
Network: DSL 18000/1000 + FP

As I told before, never had a problem "before" the updates which should fix the issues above, but after that I sadly have them now.

My problems with the game started with the 29th october update, and its getting worse with the 19th november update. Even my clan mates with the weak hardware have no problems before the "memory usage reduction" but now they need to restart the game at any mapchange.

Tried all of the fixes from the forum, but no luck.

Upvote 0
Xienen I noticed on one of the other threads you where asking people to report there memory usage's via the control alt & delete system panel, once in a state of hang upon map change.

We'll in my case the answer to that would be just short of 1GB of memory usage or there abouts, my system info can be obtained from the following bug thread.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38775

Maybe it would be best to merge some of the post's from this thread into the above bugs thread, given how many fragment posts on this topic are cropping up all over the place.

Upvote 0