• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Post your desktop.

I'd like to post my desktop, but I'm reinstalling windows and am unable to do so at the moment. So I'll just participate in the off-topic discussion for now.

I always hate how people think lower of Americans because most citizens aren't multilingual. The way I see it, in the United States, you can go a thousand miles in one direction and people will still be speaking English. That isn't exactly so for most European nations, I'm sure most of you live close by to a country with a different language. The fact that there are so many languages so close together makes it a no-brainer as to why people in Europe speak more languages than in North America, where the only other languages spoken natively would be Spanish and French.

Upvote 0
I always hate how people think lower of Americans because most citizens aren't multilingual.
Personally I don't think less of people who aren't multilingual. But nor do I think it's something to be proud of.

Native English speakers who pound their chest and take pride in the fact that they don't have to learn a second language come off as rather arrogant.

Upvote 0
I always hate how people think lower of Americans because most citizens aren't multilingual.

I think that many people generally dislike the perceived tendency towards a rather parochial attitude (if you could call a big chunk of a whole continent a 'parish') rather than the lack of linguistic skills.

This is one of the reasons that those "world maps as seen by the US" strike a chord.

http://www.websilk.co.uk/images-misc/America_sWorld.gif kinda thing.

According to people in the EU, for example, Americans are notoriously travel-shy. I think there are four main reasons for this perception...

1) The USA encompasses such a wide range if terrain, climate and stuff to see/do that there isn't much need to travel.

2) there are large sections of the globe where the USA is not especially popular so why go there?

3) Most of these places don't even have a Denny's or a Taco Bell, ferchrissakes. ;)

4) Europeans have every bit as much prejudice about the US as they believe the US has about the rest of the world. (See http://blog.cgpgrey.com/how-many-americans-have-a-passport-the-percentages-state-by-state/ )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3) Most of these places don't even have a Denny's or a Taco Bell, ferchrissakes. ;)
This should probably be moved up to #1 or #2. I traveled with a couple one time that couldn't wait to get out of the French countryside and into Paris so they could find a McDonalds. :rolleyes:

Right behind that should be:

Most EU countries skimp on ice in their cold drinks......'mericans need moar ice! :p

Upvote 0
Most EU countries skimp on ice in their cold drinks......'mericans need moar ice! :p
:D

You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard Americans complain about that. I think the only place here where they give you a ****load of ice is McDonalds. Some bars and clubs don't skimp on it either, but the majority do.

I don't mind tho, especially in pubs/clubs, since less ice means there's more room for the booze. :p

Reactions: Pvt.pile
Upvote 0
:D

You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard Americans complain about that. I think the only place here where they give you a ****load of ice is McDonalds. Some bars and clubs don't skimp on it either, but the majority do.

I don't mind tho, especially in pubs/clubs, since less ice means there's more room for the booze. :p
Heh, from my experience, I always try to put more drink than ice because if you fill the cup up then fill it with a drink, it tends to get more watery and lose flavor. :(

Upvote 0
desktop.jpg

Upvote 0