• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Possible Stuttering Fix!

illscarlettNP

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2011
I recently posted about my game stuttering sometimes when I'd turn corners or if there would be many new objects appearing on the screen.

Shortly after I got a private message by a guy named Makino (I think), who suggested that I turn off Hyper Threading of my i7 950 (4 cores, 8 cores with Hyper Threading on). I tried this, and I believe that a lot of the stutter has disappeared.

My specs are:

2x HD 5770 (Crossfire disabled)
i7 950
6GB 1333

If you have a CPU that allows Hyper Threading, try turning it off in your Advanced Bios options.

Maybe this is why Dual Core CPU users are getting better performance?

Anyways try it out!

Try setting your memory to "Ganged mode" for AMD users.
(this changes 2x64bit channels to 1x 128bit, very much like HT for Intel users)

P.S. I still have stutters from time to time, but the overall framerate is better.
Could you explain a bit more how changing it from Unganged to Ganged will affect the system in the long run/everyday performence? :)

Upvote 0
Could you explain a bit more how changing it from Unganged to Ganged will affect the system in the long run/everyday performence? :)

I'm not an electromagician or computer expert. So I have to try and explain it in the most basic way.

All 32bit programs (single-threaded programs) benefit from using ganged mode.
They can use the 128bit lane all by itself.

If you tend to run multiple programms at the same time, or 64bit/multi-threaded programs, you are better off with unganged mode. Because in unganged mode, multiple threads, or programs can read/write simultaniously to your system's memory. (one program/thread uses 1x64bit lane and another uses the other 64bit lane)

It doesn't have anything to do with DDR on/off. If you have DDR, it will allways use "Dual Data Rate"

No idea how this works in X6 or future X8 processors though. It could well be that they have 2x 128bit, which can also be divided into 4x64bit...
Anywho, the above works with my system.

Phenom (1) X3 8750 BE (AM2 socket)
2x 2GB PC6400 (800MHz)
Winblows 7 64bit

Upvote 0