• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Popcap games $20 a pop you can not be serious!

Ron

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006
Well i opened up steam today and noticed that they were selling popcap games on steam (ie flash games) now i see the $20 tag and i assume its for all them, not too unreasonable so i decide to buy them however its when i click on the icon i learn its for each of them WTF i say are they having a laugh , how the hell do these games justify the $20 price tag.
To put this in context ro is $25, x3 is $20, dod-s is $20, hl-epsid 1 is $20 etc now they're telling me that the same effort, investement, and manpower has gone into these which one or two people can make in their spare time as the ro's of this world which take months sometimes years to make and require full teams working sometimes round the clock.
Did i mention that we can play simaliar games for free over the internet anyways, seriously though is anyone actually thinking of getting these absurdly priced flash games.

P.S They must think we're stupid.

Selling Arcade games for $20 is a disgrace, and slaps other developers in the face. HL2 Episode 1, RO, and several other games on steam cost the same price, but the Devs spend much more effort on it. Although I admit Arcade games are very fun and addicting, but when a person gets steam, and is going to buy RO/CSS, and sees an arcade game that cost the same price, he is going to scream bloody murder.

Upvote 0
as a personal consumer (ignore the yellow name.. it means nothing.. nothing I tell you! :p )

It's interesting to see Steam doing something like this.. it's obviously trying to expand it's consumer base from just the typical "16-26 year old male" profile and basically try to pick up a 'less game centric' base (ie: most woman, older generation people, etc..)

IMHO, i agree that $20/per seems excessive. Side by side, I'd pick up other games instead.. but I'm not much for the style popcap generally has..

Anyone else every confuse PopCap with PopTop (makes of tropico/rrt)? I did it all the time at first.. :/

Upvote 0
as a personal consumer (ignore the yellow name.. it means nothing.. nothing I tell you! :p )

It's interesting to see Steam doing something like this.. it's obviously trying to expand it's consumer base from just the typical "16-26 year old male" profile and basically try to pick up a 'less game centric' base (ie: most woman, older generation people, etc..)

IMHO, i agree that $20/per seems excessive. Side by side, I'd pick up other games instead.. but I'm not much for the style popcap generally has..

Anyone else every confuse PopCap with PopTop (makes of tropico/rrt)? I did it all the time at first.. :/

Yes it is interesting nothing wrong with it mind you i think they're trying to break this view of steam of offering only fps's and attract as you said a less game centric base, but $20 is like asking for $80 for ro but then again maybe they're counting on these older generation people, cusual gamer and women not realising they're being ripped off sure alot of them if they saw the $25 tag on ro and the $20 for one popcap<insert name> would probadly think the popcap game is value for money and ro slightly expensive.

Upvote 0
Popcap games are clearly relying on the following sequence of events and situation.

1 - Bored gamer drinks way too much one evening.
2 - Bored drunken gamer opens Steam but can't focus enough to find the 'My Games' tab.
3 - BDG's eye is caught by gaudy colours of Popcap ad in 'Store' and thinks, "Hehe pretty colours, me like pretty colours"
4 - BDG has credit card near at hand or details stored in Steam
5 - BDG manages to buy one crappy game (that would not have been pushing gaming boundaries 10 years ago) seconds before sliding into unconsciousness

Not much of a marketing scenario I reckon.

Upvote 0