• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Poll: Suicidal Satchel Assault - Yes or No

Poll: Suicidal Satchel Assault - Yes or No

• Yes, the programers included the capability so it should be used as often as a player wishes.

Votes: 98 38.7%
  • No, it occurred very rarely, is not realistic, and antagonizes a large part of the community.

Votes: 155 61.3%

• Total voters
If your tank is wrecked making you bail with a full-crewed Tiger bearing down on you, I think it is perfectly justified to try to satchel it, because the Tiger MG ain't gonna give you a break whether you have a satchel pulled or not.

The way I see it, it's me vs the MG and I'd rather take him (and his pals) with me. You have zero chance of survival anyway unless the driver has the MG pointing the wrong way.

Upvote 0
people have to just quit complaining. this is a good weapon and people get owned by it so they whine that its unfair or shouldnt be allowed.Im sure the only reason why the russians didn't do drive by satchel bombings in ww2(although some may have done similar things) is because they would have been mowed off the car on approach. They do it in this game because you can always respawn and people aren't smart enough to stop them. As for suiciding with a satchel its in the game and you can always count on the enemy to try and develop the best tactics for killing the most people and causing terror within the opposing team's ranks. this tactic just happens to suffice

Upvote 0
It would be nice to have Devs incorperate sitting on tanks, like actually providing an animation where you are sitting on the back of the tank or in the front. I think that would be sweet, I dont know if anyone ever played Barbarossa for UO but the creator of that map made it possible for players to sit on the back of the tank. I also hope one day we see Jeeps and Horches in this game.

Upvote 0
Well only way to remove these is to make penalty killing yourself. Like minus 2 or 3 points. So this would really be only left to those situations where it would be the only choise. Discourage players to kill themselves giving them minus points. So if you are in place where you are going to die, ofcourse you choose to kill yourself and enemy, against the situation where enemy kills you. But if you have opportunity live, would you kill yourself just to get some points? No way, so if you can't get points from it, then people would do it only as last desperate action.

Upvote 0
i think it all depends on how it's used.

1) vs tanks - i think this is a valid excuse. If you manage to get close enough to a tank to satchel it, kudos to you. The process of getting to the tank can be the most suicidal part of the tactic. But players shouldn't hold onto the satchel and go boom with it, they should throw it at the tank and run for cover, because no one in their right mind would stay near a lit satchel charge. Also, the effective anti-tank blast radius should be toned down to the point where you need the satchel to be ON/UNDER the tank to destroy it.

2) vs infantry - "If I go down, I'm taking you with me!" ...this is the mentality of a 5 year old. If you're out of ammo, you still have melee capabilities, use it. Die with a little dignity, or run like hell back to a resupply.

Upvote 0
Suicide satcheling is the kind of tactic that only works once unless you're up against some real noobs. The counter-tactic is the same as that for people who try to suicide nade you: Shoot them and get behind something. Bonus points if you drop them near one of their teammates. If you're too far from cover, then you should ask yourself just what you were doing on open ground.

In a tank, you're just as dead as you would have been if the satcheler ran afterward, or used a faust, or went prone next to you with an AT rifle. You should have had more situational awareness and more backup. Too bad, try again.

The best way to dissuade someone from using a "gamey" tactic is to hand their ass to them every time they try it. Since they'll keep doing it over and over again, they're predictable, and therefore much easier to kill. The best tactics in this game are usually the realistic ones--use them to counter the unrealistic tactics, and eventually you'll teach people to play RO the "right" way.

Exactly what I was going to say, kill them as they begin thier "charge" and boom, 3 of his teamates die and hes kicked for the tk's. No experianced RO player would even try satchel rushing because the Odds not in thier favour, and they will die more then kill. This is just a variation of suicide nade tactics, I hate seeing people walking across an open battlefield priming a nade, making themselves easy targets. I bet a third of my kills are against people going in the open to throw a grenade at me...

Upvote 0
lol, wow this is an old thread someone dug up. Since I missed it first time around I'll say yeah suicide satcheling is a valid tactic. Not because it's realistic but because the satchels are so overpowered in game. Make the satchels effective just for destroying objectives like doors blockades etc (how they are mainly used IRL) and that's how I'll use them. Leave them as ridiculously overpowered as they currently are in game and I'll continue to make Jihad suicide runs on tanks.

Upvote 0
my opion is this:

my opion is this:

Red Orc is not very realistic. Its a game where you have 15 to 20 minutes, usually, to win. People speak across great expanses as if in WWII the common trooper on the eastern front had small radios. They did not. Russian tanks only had at most one radio per 10 tanks. Actually a mass of tanks that Otto Carius attacked once had NO RADIOS to warn their HQ with as he attacked them with his Tigers. In Red Orc, bullets do not go through walls and tanks can not level and fire a village with a few pesky infantry in them - where as in real war tanks do just that. Where as Red Orc has some trajectory for its tank shells - it appears that the small arms have only flat trajectory - even the guns that use small ammo and have short barrels - again this is unrealistic as any real shooter of small arms knows. Arty does not dig big holes in Red Orc. In real tank war the knocked out tanks would block up bridges, block roads and villages and became a real bottleneck. The Chechens used this reality back in their first war against the new Russia when they would knock out the first and last tank in a column and thus trap the other tanks in a narrow street. BUT in Red Orc knocked out tanks - though they should weigh tens of tons - seem to VANISH into thin air. Infantry can yell or send typed words over the battle field and be heard by their fellow troopers even though there is an arty barrage on going. Amazing...I wonder why real armies didn't think of doing that? In real tank battles tanks often did not burst into flames, but were knocked out by a small hole that reduced the crew inside into a mess of meat. These tanks could be plugged up and repainted and later thrown back into combat. BUT in Red Orc all tanks instantly burn and become ghost like charred hulks that later vanish into thin air. SHOULD I GO ON?

In short, Red Orc is a game. Many things that you are content to ignore are many orders less realistic than players who kill themselves. It is a mistake to approach online shooter games from the standpoint of total realism. But if you insist, then spend you moments of wasted time worrying about the vanishing tanks or the tank-shell proof wooden fences! The other day I heard some old fart gripe that players MUST NOT climb up on the wall of the Seige as it is unrealistic and no real soldier could do that. I laughed! He must be in a wheelchair and live in Kansas. As a mountain climber in my younger days I would have considered that wall are child's play.

those who try to PLAY GUNS and play real war reenactments - ought to join some Civil War guild of reenactors or so forth and buy a uniform and go out on weekends and PLAY GUNS and play history. The truth is Red Orc is not WWII world. Is that a shock to you? Its a game world. And its a NEW world. And if you hope to win in it you had better learn what is possible and play by those rules.

In the real world soldiers do not die and then come right back to the same spot knowing what only the dead soldier should have known about the forces hiding in that spot.

Its a game - flow with that thought or join a weekend battle reenactment guild.

My gripes are about players who PLAY guns, who hide behind walls and go bang bang at each other as if it was a real battle - rather than taking the UNREALISTIC cap zones - that were made for Unreal. Let that thought settle in......U N R E A L. or NOT REAL. In real life a Panther had 5 men. In real life a Tiger would often throw a tread if it backed up wrong.

I get tired of historical gripers. They want a museum. I'd suggest they go joint the US army and go to Iraq. In games these HISTORICAL people or gun players rarely win our battles. I watch them sit on hills far away from cap zones playing plinky with their guns and tanks as if their mama would cry her eyes out if they died in Rec Orc.

Maybe I understand this because I was a programmer back in the days when virtual reality was in its infancy. I watched it grow up slowly. I used to build virtual worlds in the days of the 386. I helped build a role playing game in 92. I have modded since then often and understand that the only truth in virtual worlds is the TRUTH the virtual world allows. And by the way, in real war, if troops could repawn the way we do - they would make suicide attacks. Because in war there really ain't no rules. Not in love either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
right on

right on

Suicide satcheling is the kind of tactic that only works once unless you're up against some real noobs. The counter-tactic is the same as that for people who try to suicide nade you: Shoot them and get behind something. Bonus points if you drop them near one of their teammates. If you're too far from cover, then you should ask yourself just what you were doing on open ground.

In a tank, you're just as dead as you would have been if the satcheler ran afterward, or used a faust, or went prone next to you with an AT rifle. You should have had more situational awareness and more backup. Too bad, try again.

The best way to dissuade someone from using a "gamey" tactic is to hand their ass to them every time they try it. Since they'll keep doing it over and over again, they're predictable, and therefore much easier to kill. The best tactics in this game are usually the realistic ones--use them to counter the unrealistic tactics, and eventually you'll teach people to play RO the "right" way.

Quoted for agreement. If a saper gets close enough to you to suicide bomb your tank your infantry arent protecting your flanks and your machine gunner isnt paying attention.

Upvote 0