• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poll: Artillery

The calibre of arty/mortars/rockets is unknown, and could be arbitrary.

What really needs to be understood is what calbres are being used, and what would be the historic frequescy/chances of use in a tactical combat situation.

If I had a battalion commander calling down anything other than 50mm/60mm mortars into close combat, he'd be sacked.

Upvote 0
I was on a server today playing Red October as Axis.

Used artillery, and the cool-down period was 8 minutes. 4 for mortars. It was long enough for me to really think about where I was dropping it.

I must have killed five guys with rifle to only one with artillery, although you could argue the artillery may have had some blocking effect on Ivan.

Upvote 0
Tbh, I think the artillery is far weaker than in RO1.

Where in RO1 you are blown to pieces dozens of time per round; In the 20 hours I play RO2, I have been blown up for only 5 times or something.

Ninetynine's post explains it all. I always lie down (and behind or in cover when available), it isn't really that deadly that way.

Also, try to flank... I rarely walk in chokepoints, which is safest.

Also the 8 min cooldown is far too high on Pavlov, most of the time you can only have one arty before the map is over.
The rest of the maps are far better.

Upvote 0
I hate the laser guided danger close artillery in RO2. I have died 3 times to the same barrage before, because it goes on forever. Not to mention it frequently crashes my game.

People complain that you cant have firefights in RO2 because the guns are too accurate. I disagree. You cant have firefights in RO2 because as soon as you make a firing line it gets blown to hell by way to accurate artillery.

It also bothers me that artillery can kill you on the bottom floor of a 3 story building without damaging the building.

On 64 player maps I have seen commanders get 250 kills when the next guy on the list who is actually assualting gets 30 kills. This is broken and not fun.

If the maps were bigger it may not be as much of an issue but as it is, You will never engage enemies at more than about 300 yards. That is "danger close" and would only be used in the most dire situations.

My suggestion:
reduce the barrage to 2-3 shells.
make them mortars instead of triple digit millimeter ordinance.
give them an extended cooldown such as 10 minutes (600 seconds).
or
Just make mortars that can be mounted like the mg-34 tripod. give them basic controls like horizontal aiming and range setting.

I freakin love RO2 even on my ****ty old pc is runs fine except when the 5 minute barrage starts. I usually just stare at the ground in the hopes that I wont get the "RO2.exe has stopped working".

Upvote 0
I thought there were some patches notes to the effect of:

-Limit the amount of artillery for both sides on map X.

Well, it doesn't really seem like there's a limit other than the time. Artillery pretty much rains down every 2 minutes like clockwork. The no-artillery zones pretty much seem to be non-existent on some maps still.

Upvote 0
When artillery starts falling = Seek cover, get low, get behind something, and don't move till it's over.

It's for supressing infantry, and it does that very well. Get damn supressed when you are getting shelled. Keep your head down and don't try to run through the explosions. CoD taught gamers that you can run through arty and mortar barrages unharmed. When 155mm bombs are dropping on your head, you don't try to move or escape, you get down on your face and hope one doesn't land in your foxhole.

Upvote 0
My only real problem with artillery is the inaccuracy at which it targets via binocs. I cant even begin to tell you how frustrated I get on sparta when I try to call arty on the church full of camping mkb fanatics, only to realize that the binoculars have yet again marked my target THROUGH the church

Its as if the mark target trajectory ignores buildings and other obstacles, which makes it nearly impossible to use effectively on a map where you spawn downhill of the enemy.

I know everyone is going to disagree, but I think the commander should be able to call artillery based on map coordinates using the radio. I mean the map is already there, I can visibly see the building and what grid its in.. Why must I go out and look at it through my binoculars before I can use it?

Upvote 0