• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please Focus on PC then port to Consoles

I am super pumped for RO2 to come out, but I'm hoping I won't be disappointed because there have been other games that have come out recently that are clearly designed for consoles then ported back to PCs.

This is one game I hope that will retain it's style of play and difficulty and NOT cater to consoletards.

Sorry if this post seems like a rant, but with so little good games coming out dedicated to the PC, I feel the need to find out information on the situation.

I am super pumped for RO2 to come out, but I'm hoping I won't be disappointed because there have been other games that have come out recently that are clearly designed for consoles then ported back to PCs.

This is one game I hope that will retain it's style of play and difficulty and NOT cater to consoletards.

Sorry if this post seems like a rant, but with so little good games coming out dedicated to the PC, I feel the need to find out information on the situation.
This PC only man, you shouldn't be worried, it's Tripwire, look at Ostfront, Killing Floor, and :IS2: and then you will see that this is not a problem now, I don't know if this will happen later, I hope not, but nowadays this is PC only, just watch some videos, and you will see that they are on the good way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Companies port to PC from console because the console is the primary focus of their game. They design the game from the ground up to (hopefully) run flawlessly on the consoles and then port it to PC, which of course causes all sorts of performance problems because they didn't design the game to perform well on tons of different kinds of hardware.

Designing games for PC and then porting to console takes much more time in this regard, because you have to design it from the ground up to hopefuly run on as many infinite combinations of hardware as possible. Then when you factor in that the PC is a much smaller market than say, the Xbox360, you get a less economical development process.

It's all about the money boys. Optimizing for PCs just isn't worth the big developers' time and money any more.

Upvote 0
well that sucks we need more PC games not console games :mad:

There's still plenty of companies with huge PC support such as Valve, Id, Tripwire etc in the west, and in Russia you barley see any console games, its where the simulation market still is very large, just look at 1C company putting out strategy games like OutFront 2(Men of War), Theatre of War series and flight sims such as IL2 Sturmovik , Rise of Flight and the highly anticipated sequel Storm of War and Eagle Dynamics DCS Series.

And there are plenty of other games like STALKER, even METRO 2033 was primary developed for the PC, also dont forget Armed Assault and the original flashpoint Czech devs aka Bohemia Interactive.

I've still got high hopes for the PC community :)

Upvote 0
You know, if devs like Tripwire started releasing their games on consoles without sacrificing quality or complexity, console gamers might actually begin to evolve in their taste. Market forces would go to work and then it wouldn't matter if the games were developed for consoles first, because they'd be just as good as their PC counterparts. Of course the ports would still have more technical problems than titles developed primarily for PC, and they won't use more keys than there are buttons on a controller, but those are trivial concerns if you've got good gameplay.

Upvote 0
Why do they port to PC's anyway?

The way I look at it you lose more potential for the PC then you do the console.

It would be cool if they ported Ostfront to the 360/PS3 though.
I don't see the point. How the hell are you supposed to aim with a controller (since this isn't a cone-of-fire/hitscan game)???? They'd have to implement some sort of auto aim feature which pretty much destroys the whole point...

Reactions: Uurastaja and samol
Upvote 0
You know, if devs like Tripwire started releasing their games on consoles without sacrificing quality or complexity, console gamers might actually begin to evolve in their taste. Market forces would go to work and then it wouldn't matter if the games were developed for consoles first, because they'd be just as good as their PC counterparts. Of course the ports would still have more technical problems than titles developed primarily for PC, and they won't use more keys than there are buttons on a controller, but those are trivial concerns if you've got good gameplay.
Possibly true. John Gibson brought up a good point in the last Bash cast in saying that many people put up with the lack of real content in games these days because they don't know anything else -- they have grown up on purely surface games that have no substance and so they don't have higher expectations.

That said, I think it would require the big companies like EA or Activision to make a change in their products to truly influence the bulk of the console market. Maybe Tripwire could start something by offering truly quality-oriented games, and that would force the other big companies to keep up the pace.

Either way, I don't care. Right now TWI is a PC-only developer and that makes me extremely happy. As long as they keep making their games so that I wouldn't even know if there WAS a console version, I'm happy.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
Most game devs have made a business decision to cater to the console market. This makes good business sense since console game sales make up 80% of their market. And, on top of that, of the 20% of gamers on PC, only 1% make up the hardcore PC gamers who tend to spend tons of money on their rigs to make sure they have the best experience possible. Sony and Microsoft have done such a good job on marketing over the last 10 years that the current generation of younger gamers (those 13 to 25) don't understand, appreciate or know the advantages to PC gaming. To them a PC is not a gaming machine. To them a PC is an appliance similar to a microwave or VCR - you use it for its intended purpose (internet, email and music), run it until it breaks and then throw it away and buy a new one for $400 at Walmart. It's all about the marketing. How often do you see a commercial for PCs? DELL is about it. And even then, DELL doesn't market their PCs as being gaming machines.

The current generation of gamers looks at it like this - Why should I spend $2000 on a gaming PC that I have to spend another $500 on once a year to keep up to date, when I can spend $300 one time and be able to play my favorite games for 10 years? And, in reality, it does make good economical sense. But what they fail to see is that they are missing out on all the intangibles that makes PC gaming superior: the better control of the keyboard and mouse, better graphics, the ability to have more options on how the servers are setup and custom mods and maps (in games that allow it).

As long as we are stuck with the current generation of consoles, PC gamers will be stuck with sub-par games that don't even come close to pushing the envelope of what our rigs are capable of. And, if Microsoft has their way, the 360 will have another 8 to 10 years of life left in it. After all, it's cheaper for Microsoft to milk an old console that "works" than to develop and market new hardware. Like others have said, it's no longer about making great games that rock. It's all about making money. It's business and I understand that. But in the end, it's we the consumer that loses.

Upvote 0