• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PLEASE, add civilians!

welshy2255

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 5, 2015
Ok, if there's one thing I know about Vietnam is that civilians where a big part of it. Especially as 900,000 died during the war. So please add them for reality sake and perhaps make them killable, but maybe if a marine or VC/NVA killed a civilian the team would lose morale/points/tickets? (what ever point system you would have in place).

Anyway, I've played all the Vietnam games out their and the best one in my opinion is conflict vietnam because it catches the grittiness, reality and action of Vietnam (they also had civilians).

I beg of you, oh glorious tripwire. Add civilians! You'd be doing something thats never been done before in any multiplayer FPS. You guys would be setting new and interesting standards in games!

P.S. Adding civilians may create a new gamemode? such as search the village for any VC/NVA movement and protect the villagers (Just an idea).

While I agree that civilian casualties are an unfortunate reality in all wars ,I would not expect TWI to include them in their games. This would open up the game to a huge amount of critism and bad press.

Anyone remember COD - No Russian??:mad:

I have never played "No Russian", if MW2 had required me to do so, I'd never finished the game. Playing a killing spree is just vile.
My honest thought was in World at War 2 you will be able to rape German women as Soviet soldiers on your way to Berlin. Seriously, Infinity Ward went too far there.

I'm glad that Tripwire despite the many bugs their games had/have did not and hopefully will never venture there.

Upvote 0
They should be added in some levels as it adds another layer of fun and chaos. Civilians have been added successfully in several games, unlike in MW2. You can have them 'reflect damage back' or just make them un-killable.

You could add them as refuges fleeing a village, people panicked running all around or cowering in corners making them seem like targets to scare the gamer, they can be pleading for help holding on a gamer and thus slowing them down (until they do something for the civie like give them water), screaming, etc. There can even be missions where you have to protect or evacuate the civilians. After all, Vietnam was fought for the people in order to give them a life without threat of prison or death.

Speaking of bots of this kind, it would be also easy to add 'combatants' that don't actually fight in the area where one spawns, like medic tents, command centers, fuel depots filled with bots doing what they do, except they don't participate in the actual fight.

Upvote 0
Since the game will probably be focusing on scenarios where the enemy can be easily found and identified, resulting in fire fights - instead of long and complicated counter-insurgency operations that result in detentions, interrogation, assassination, destruction of materials in place, etc.; then the role of civilians would be little more than window dressing.

I mean they could do it, but they wouldn't be doing it well.

Upvote 0
They should be added in some levels as it adds another layer of fun and chaos. Civilians have been added successfully in several games, unlike in MW2. You can have them 'reflect damage back' or just make them un-killable.

You could add them as refuges fleeing a village, people panicked running all around or cowering in corners making them seem like targets to scare the gamer, they can be pleading for help holding on a gamer and thus slowing them down (until they do something for the civie like give them water), screaming, etc. There can even be missions where you have to protect or evacuate the civilians. After all, Vietnam was fought for the people in order to give them a life without threat of prison or death.

Speaking of bots of this kind, it would be also easy to add 'combatants' that don't actually fight in the area where one spawns, like medic tents, command centers, fuel depots filled with bots doing what they do, except they don't participate in the actual fight.

Some good ideas here.

Upvote 0