• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing To Have Fun - and Balance

Cannonaire

Grizzled Veteran
  • Jul 12, 2013
    steamcommunity.com
    (I also posted this on the Steam Killing Floor 2 Forum.)
    Killing Floor 2 is one of my favorite and most played games of all time, but I am concerned with some recent changes rumored, planned, and already made in regards to how powerful certain perks and weapons are.

I have over 3300 hours in Killing Floor 2. I will play on any difficulty, and in solo offline or multiplayer. I am most comfortable on Suicidal difficulty, but I also tend to do well on Hell on Earth. I love how accommodating the game is to many different playstyles, and one of the aspects I appreciate most is that you can do well with experience - good aim, game sense, weapon knowledge, enemy knowledge, map knowledge, etc. all contribute to doing well and having fun for me.

However, the moment I am expected or forced to use or practice pre-made takedowns and attack/skill rotations or someone else's optimized weapon loadout is when I stop having any fun at all. I hate these things and I will not do them if I don't have fun doing so. You should not be forced to play the way someone else tells you to.

I will be flexible and play as any role and perk, and I will do the best that I can. I can do well on any difficulty and I have fun doing it. This isn't selfishness; this is freedom, and
    I encourage and invite anyone I play with to do the same and play as they see fit.
    I will not criticize other players for not doing things in the game that make it tedious or not fun for them.
    This is what I define as fun in Killing Floor 2.

If the game is made more difficult to the point that the only way to win is to use very specific tactics and practiced takedowns, then there may as well be no variety in skills or weapons in it. This is why Killing Floor 2 should not be balanced solely based on the highest levels of play as some players argue. Killing Floor is a PvE shooter with loads of variety, not a competitive eSports title.

I'm sure some will disagree, which is fine. We all have different opinions and we all have fun in different ways. The problem begins if someone else forces you to play their way instead of yours.

Thank you for reading.

Well... It's a tough matter to tackle really.

On one hand, I certainly can't blame someone for having fun. For enjoying the game however, he sees fit. As the old saying goes: "it's only a game" !

But on the flipside, it's also a multiplayer game. And not just a multiplayer, but a team-based one. This means that you have to rely on others to prevail. You have to strategize with each other, to minimize your weaknesses and maximize your strengths. And it's not even a team-based like a in let's say Call of Duty, where you could probably prevail by using only SMGs. Here, it's class-based : each player is more or less "forced" to play a certain way.

That's the point of perks, at least initially. Nowadays, you could probably prevail with almost any team composition due to how effective each perk became, with a plethora of broken weapons. I can't help but blame myself partially for that... I'm a solo player most of all, and obviously, you won't play the same way in solo as with a team.

And I can't deny that as someone who played a LOT of class-based shooters (those are my favorites!), it's just too easy to blame your team for your downfall. And it's sadly often true ! Having five snipers and three spies in your team in Team Fortress 2 is a recipe for disaster. Nobody ever willing to play as a tank or healer in Overwatch is ridiculous, considering how paramount those archetypes are.

I would never blame a newbie. I would never blame someone having fun. But I would definitely blame a selfish player. And in Suicidal and Hell On Earth difficulties... that includes people playing with joke weapons or being the third demo of the bunch. It's more than okay in normal and hard (those games are hard to lose anyway). But above? Yeah, I don't really like losing because someone went LEROY JENKINS and died after 30 seconds.

The fact you mention your amount of hours is interesting, but also a bit worrying if you didn't get that in 3300 hours.

And don't worry, I HATE the meta idea. It's the main reason why I never played TF2 on a competitive level for exemple. I don't think you should follow a "build-up routine" on each and every game. Like... You shouldn't be blamed if you chose to keep your T1 one extra wave to get armor and ammo. But playing a battle medic in a 6 players HOE match is where I draw the line.

Upvote 0
    There's always single-player mode for those who want to have fun on their terms, and specifically their terms.

There's also adjustable difficulties for those who don't want to worry about trying to optimize or play their best.

No, the game doesn't have a competitive leaderboard, but that's also not an excuse to not try. And that's really all most of the high-level players are asking: to please try and work with the team, and if that means getting headshots, so be it.

To quote one of my favorite ex-players (FeelZeSchadenfreude) who diligently worked on the best guide on Steam, emphasis mine:
    Is there just 1 way to succeed? No.

But there is always 1 most consistent way to succeed. There is this optimal way, and then there is everything else. You must know what is optimal and why, even if you choose to ignore it.

The biggest difference between good and bad players is that bad players find what is fun and convince themselves that it's good. Good players can play for fun, but they don't lie to themselves that being fun means that it is optimal. They can pull out the A-game when they want to, but bad players can't. Bad players don't see a difference between playing for fun and playing to win, which is why they can't improve. Their fault isn't in their actions, but in their stupidity and unintentional selfishness.

I'm not requiring you to play optimally. You can do what you want. But be honest with yourself, and don't delude yourself into thinking that other players have to accept it.

"Fun" and "It's my playstyle" shouldn't be excuses for not getting better at the game. And your right to play your way does not mean your teammates have to tolerate you. Your actions affect your team, and vice versa. If you act like a prick, expect to be treated like one.

You might find optimal to also be fun. Or not. Because this guide is concerned with winning, it is focused almost exclusively on what is optimal, to try to teach you how to bring out your A-game even if you choose not to. And what is optimal often involves self-sacrifice and restraint.

Self-sacrifice and restraint are things that some people either don't have, or don't want to exercise. Both are often not fun
    . If you are incapable of these things, then this guide is not for you. You are free to be a selfish prick and do whatever you want. It is in your right. But then your teammate will have no reason to not also be a selfish prick, for you have thrown away any reason for him to care about you, as you have shown clearly that you don't care about him.

And the end result is that you shall fail together.

But on the flipside, it's also a multiplayer game. And not just a multiplayer, but a team-based one. This means that you have to rely on others to prevail. You have to strategize with each other, to minimize your weaknesses and maximize your strengths. And it's not even a team-based like a in let's say Call of Duty, where you could probably prevail by using only SMGs. Here, it's class-based : each player is more or less "forced" to play a certain way.
    This is one of the most frustrating things about the direction the game has taken over the years:

Pub players have gotten sick of being asked to perform their roles--sometimes well, even!--in a game where you can have up to six players and each of them has a distinct role to be performed.

Which is at odds with the idea behind the game as a whole, and while TWI has definitely made changes to accommodate some of that, it's unrealistic to ask that to be done away with and goes against the point of "you pick your role according to what the team needs, and you do it." The game in general already has a pub playerbase mostly akin to "six solo players that just happen to be in the same room together," all the way to Hell on Earth, and that mindframe is why a number of game direction choices developed the way they did.

Admittedly, TWI has done a lot to fuel this notion, as they have given up on balancing for perk skill ceilings and such over the years.

However, the moment I am expected or forced to use or practice pre-made takedowns and attack/skill rotations or someone else's optimized weapon loadout is when I stop having any fun at all. I hate these things and I will not do them if I don't have fun doing so
    This has similar energy to "I want to win at Tekken 7 but hate labbing bread-and-butter combos." You don't have to learn combos or takedowns, but it helps you succeed and--by proxy--it helps your team succeed when you do. These have been discovered by other players better than you or I and they exist for good reason.

KF2 isn't even a game where that applies most of the time. Generally, takedowns are "Zed [Y] needs [X] shots applied to the head in [Z] timeframe so that they die before they can rage, and by extension, start repurposing your teammates' heads as cereal bowls." That's literally it. That's not a huge ask, even in Hell on Earth, but it sure helps.

The only exceptions are 1) some Demo combos because of the nature of how Zed rage mechanics work, and how clunky Demo weapons can be, and 2) Berserker combos, which rely on abusing Berserker's stumble procs to combo Zeds to death.

If you're allergic to literally every one of those, then just pick the Freezethrower and spam "REQUEST HELP" whenever a Scrake/FP/QP shows up.

If that's still too much of an ask, then just drop down difficulties. Sometimes HoE requires you to do things efficiently to not lose, which is not a bad thing considering it is literally designed to be harder than hard mode.

A difficulty that is "hard but also I can win by doing whatever I want no matter what" is not difficult in practice. If I can still win by spraying everything with a Healthrower in Hell on Earth, is that any different in practice from Normal?

You should not be forced to play the way someone else tells you to.
    Emphasis mine, because ugh. This is a really broad statement so I'm going to lay out some groundwork instead.

If you're in the hardest difficulty, sometimes playing to help the team entails either sucking it up and playing something you don't want to, or just leaving.

If I join into a game and see that they have every role filled out but Medic, and I don't want to play Medic, the best thing I can do for that team is just to leave and find a different server. If I spawned in as Medic but rolled all right-side skills, that's effectively passive-aggressive and as bad as trolling in my book.

If I join into a game and see that it's made of Firebugs, Demos, and Berserkers, coming in as a Sharpshooter would be a stupid move on everyone's part.

If I join into a game and see that everyone is hitscans and/or Supports, they'd be right to get testy with me if I spawned in as a Firebug.

If I want to play in a difficulty where my choices ultimately don't make a difference, I'll go to Hard.

If the game is made more difficult to the point that the only way to win is to use very specific tactics and practiced takedowns, then there may as well be no variety in skills or weapons in it. This is why Killing Floor 2 should not be balanced solely based on the highest levels of play as some players argue.
    This is really silly and overly reductionist, leaving aside the fact that it doesn't really apply to this game.

If there are multiple difficulty levels that get harder and harder, using an "anything goes" approach to victory is defeating the point of increasing the difficulty.

A Firebug can get away with flaming a Scrake to death on Normal mode, but by the time HoE rolls around, that no longer applies. Justifiably.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    OnionBubs, I know you mean well and I do agree with some of what you said, but you have severely misunderstood what I said. Instead of rehashing everything here, I'll link you to the Steam discussion which has a much more clarified stance.

One last thing: Believing there is just one most optimal way is too limiting. You won't be flexible enough to employ possibly better tactics if you think that way.
    Perhaps we'll talk later! Until then, be well.

Upvote 0
    OnionBubs, I know you mean well and I do agree with some of what you said, but you have severely misunderstood what I said. Instead of rehashing everything here, I'll link you to the Steam discussion which has a much more clarified stance.

One last thing: Believing there is just one most optimal way is too limiting. You won't be flexible enough to employ possibly better tactics if you think that way.
    Perhaps we'll talk later! Until then, be well.

That has the same feel as telling someone "do your own research" and closing the argument on your own terms and yours alone.

I'm sorry but the point of a debate is precisely to consider each other's arguments and either reevaluate them or agree with them. Dismissing them without any explanations really feels like you just want to be right.

Then again, I'm speaking on Onion's behalf here. Maybe he'll have another take on it. But I kinda feel like you wiped out a pretty well-constructed answer without much consideration.

Again, I'm actually fairly on your side regarding the "limitations" of playing in an optimum way. I don't want to play the same weapon all the time, nor did I want to always play medic in TF2 (despite being my main class). But as Onion said : there's solo and/or lower difficulty settings for that. Alternatively, you could also ask your friends to play with you to have some mindless fun ! I know that I often played Left 4 Dead 2 on harder difficulties with a group of friends and we just came up with whatever crazy antics we could think of. I'd never throw a molotov cocktail at the feet of some random player, but at my best friend? That's the funniest ****.

So really, honestly, nobody's telling you to play in a given way. But nobody's forced to accept your playstyle either.

Upvote 0
    That has the same feel as telling someone "do your own research" and closing the argument on your own terms and yours alone.

I'm sorry but the point of a debate is precisely to consider each other's arguments and either reevaluate them or agree with them. Dismissing them without any explanations really feels like you just want to be right.

Then again, I'm speaking on Onion's behalf here. Maybe he'll have another take on it. But I kinda feel like you wiped out a pretty well-constructed answer without much consideration.
    I agree, but I just don't have the energy to rehash what I said on Steam here or go through point by point stating what has been misunderstood - and Onion has grossly misunderstood what I was trying to argue. Everything they said was covered in the Steam thread. Basically it comes down to this: The Steam thread took off with pages of good discussion, and the thread here has gotten like three or four responses aside from my own posts, so it's not worth it for me to continue here. I make my argument pretty clear there, and to be blunt I have medical problems that make it difficult for me to do basically anything. I'm not dismissing their arguments, but I'm simply not able to go through the whole process that happened in the Steam discussion here. I'd be happy to continue the debate there, but I'm not going to spend several hours going through here what has already been covered there.

Upvote 0
    Trust me, I didn't misunderstand. It's just that I don't agree with your point because it's flawed and, if I'm being honest, more than a bit self-centered. I'm sure you're a great person IRL, but I'm sorry, this is also the KF2 boards, and this is a bad argument.

I've written and rewritten this multiple times because I'm to be as un-dickish as possible and such as, but I'm going to be honest:
    At the end of the day, the entire point in so many words is "please stop nerfing 'fun,' especially my (the OP's) personal definition of 'fun.'" This particular instance of it is just drawn out to a grandiose degree.

This, of course, is ignoring the matter that 'fun' is subjective and that what may be 'fun' may not be healthy for a game. It's a discussion I've had variants of about sixty million times and it doesn't get any more fun for me each time I have to write out an essay. But of course, just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in, so here we are.

I have to do it here, I've had to do it in the Back 4 Blood forums and such because of overpowered things that completely smashed that game's difficulty and intended learning curve, and it's never going to end because live service games always lend themselves to this kind of nonsense; the demand for new CoNtEnT always begets power creep.

It's a completely unproductive thing to do and also I don't agree from a "fundamentals of game design" perspective. Games should challenge the player in more specific ways, especially 7 and a half years since their Early Access debut since people have had 7 and a half years to get good**, and for a game where the basic dividing line for a good player is "how good are you at headshotting Zeds?", adding more and more things that ignore players having to work on that fundamental skill is bad and antithetical to proper game design.

So in writing all the words below, it's not even intended for OP (as I do not count on swaying OP at all) as much as it is for anyone else reading the thread, on the off-chance that anyone actually does. At least I can refer back to the post for future use.

I can tell that you're obviously upset by the Berserker nerfs from 2021 and you're nervous that something similar will befall the Medic, although that's extremely unlikely and I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening ever.

For what it's worth, I did in fact do my own research on this one. In fact, I read all the way up to the message where OP said they probably weren't going to respond to the Steam thread anymore (which is interesting in that they also said they weren't going to respond to this thread, either).

Some interesting highlights, emphasis mine:

You should be able to expect teamwork, yes. After all, it is a team game. But you shouldn't expect people to go out of their way and do something they aren't comfortable with to enable your playstyle on a pub, regardless of difficulty.
    Those two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. See my above post for callbacks to this, especially re: perk interactions. This also extends to weapons, for what it's worth, as weapons also affect other perks.

While poor understanding of teamwork is part of general human nature, KF2 has a particularly bad problem among pub games with a complete disregard for team cohesion. The playerbase and to an extent the devs and the game's direction create this feedback loop.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't be hard. I don't mind a challenge. I'm saying that players shouldn't be forced to use comically specific tactics (pre-defined takedowns and weapon loadouts) in order to play it. Experience and skill is and should remain enough without the tedium of using other people's playstyles or specific optimized weapon choices. But the game has been moving in that direction, and that's why I started this thread.
    Remember this for later.

By "pre-defined" takedowns, I mean copying and practicing a takedown exactly as created by another player, like one I saw for Berserker in which they used a specific melee weapon to stagger then switched to the nailgun and fired a specific number of shots into the head (I can't remember the exact details).

Obviously you shouldn't just be body-spamming large zeds or any zeds at all for that matter. But IMO you should be able to beat Hell on Earth if you can consistently land headshots with high-tier weapons.
    That's...pretty much how the game already works.

Takedowns as it currently stands more-or-less boil down to "Zed [Y] needs [X] number of headshots with [Z] weapon on [Ω] perk, ideally performed in [λ] seconds." That part is fine. Expecting an unlimited amount of time to perform kills on large threats would entail them not really being threats in the first place. If the player has an unlimited amount of time, etc. to perform the takedowns, well, they're not really takedowns, that's "shoot it until it dies"

Some weapon/perk combos work better on some Zeds. That's how things are. That's how they should be.

The weapon-switching thing only applies to a couple of things:
    • A handful of Berserker's melee weapons, because of the range involved with the takedown contrasted with Berserker's ability to inflict CC and stumble at said range.
      • Most weapons don't even switch because switching is impractical, which is why Simple Rabbit did a huge series of videos on his channel detailing takedowns for every weapon.
      • The Nailgun only requires a switch for prepping the parry, but otherwise it's effectively "parry --> switch --> bash --> 3 headshots."
      • If your parry is up, as it should usually be, you can omit those first two steps.
      • There is a reason the devs included some prep-work: when Berserker doesn't require any setups, it becomes too W+M1 to be fair to the other perks by comparison. See: pre-nerf battle axe. Close range matters far less when things die too fast to actually hit you in their prescribed effective range.
    • Demolitionist's Scrake takedown, ".500 magnum headshot --> RPG"
    • "Freezethrower --> shoot in face", or really any other incap that completely paralyzes a Zed.
    That's really it, and none of those are a huge ask.

Takedowns, much like headshots, are one of the things separating skilled players from less-skilled players. Skilled players who enjoy performing well will gravitate towards doing these things because it feels good pulling them off, and it feels good to perform your role well.
    Removing them removes much of the skill and nuance that should be expected from the game as a whole.

Really, the main thing I'm arguing is that the game shouldn't be changed based solely on the wishes of the highest-level players because I don't want the variety to be lost. I don't want to have to practice takedowns (which I'm defining as a specific number of shots with weapon A, then maybe switching to weapon B for the kill, always the same every time like the berserker example I gave earlier) and be forced to use specific loadouts to play.
    Leaving aside the fact that it really isn't, otherwise you'd see about 70% of the weapons axed...

This is terrible for any sort of skill indexing, as the highest-level players understand how the game works--and more importantly, how to break it--better than the devs tend to do. They understand what is OP, what has skewed effort/reward ratios, and what just flat-out doesn't belong.

Or, to put it another way: Without balancing in regards to high-level players, you get:
    • Firebug's current arsenal
    • The FAL on Commando
    • HRG weapons overstepping perk boundaries
    • The HRG Locust
    • The old Reducto Ray
    • Field Medic in its entirety
    • Pre-nerf Berserker
    • Chaos perk prevalence
    And so forth. Most variety is window dressing at best and bad for the game at worst. This is a fairly simple game at its core and most of the arsenal was bad for keeping the purity of that challenge in place.

A lot of people are bringing up trolls and disruptive players, but that's not at all what I was talking about in my original post. I was saying yes, players should try their best on higher difficulties and use good guns, good teamwork, and have the game sense and experience to play there. But they should not be forced to use very specific tactics dictated by other players in order to participate. Like I've said before, that is the direction the game seems to be going in since the berserker nerfs and the handover to Saber, and that is why I made the post.
    I'm not forced to play in an optimal way as you put it yet,
    So you've admitted thusly that one of your main complaints--that same point from above--does not in fact apply.

but I don't enjoy playing Berserker at all anymore, whether in solo or multiplayer because of the nerfs they made. I realize Berserker can still be very powerful, but that's more if you know your takedowns and not the way I played it anymore.
    So Berserker's kit hasn't changed outside of less damage absorption; the damage output is exactly identical.

Which would mean by process of elimination that the only change to your preferred "playstyle" on Berserker would be how many hits you could eat before dying.
    A thing that all perks not named Beserker and (especially) Field Medic have had to contend with since time immemorial.

So shouldn't you just work on getting hit less? Improving your micro, etc.?

And to address the elephant in the room: I don't want to do the Berserker discourse. I really don't. Berserker is out of place in this game and tends to be disruptive by nature because of its built-in mechanics. There is no way to balance a melee character in a game where everyone else--including the Medic--has guns, and not have it be a pain in some form or fashion.

I am concerned about all the perks, but most notably about Medic. A lot of especially high-level players who do practice takedowns and play optimally are floating ideas and asking for Medic nerfs. I understand a lot of their concern does have to do with disruptive players now (I didn't know that before I started this thread).

Speaking for myself as someone who uses teamwork in multiplayer, I don't want to lose my survivability on Medic or my potential in solo (you often see people asking for removal of the battle medic skills) just because some disruptive players are doing what they are going to do anyway. Nerfing Medic, Berserker, or any other perk for that matter isn't going to solve the problem of disruptive players, but it will punish people who aren't disruptive. I don't want to lose the fun I have on Medic like I lost the fun on Berserker. I don't want to lose the fun I have on any perk.
    It's not just "disruptive players," although that absolutely is part of the problem (people in general using Acidic Rounds on a team with any hitscan players or even Support).

It's that Medic's current state in that regard is equally ridiculous when compared to the rest of the perks, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be looked at because a number of actually good players have concluded that it's a problematic perk. It's meant to be a force multiplier and team support at the cost of being weak on an individual level, but with each patch, Medic only gets stronger and stronger as an individual. This is not a good thing for the health of the game. Medic is tantamount to a cheat code in many ways, and that needs to change.

It's also about discouraging playstyles that are just awful to put up with (Medics and Berserkers, and especially Medic/Zerk combos, using their ability to leave everyone in the dust on a moment's notice, kiting a round for 40 minutes because they can never die outside of instakills on bosses or a misplay so dramatic it would make the rounds on TikTok; players refusing to use left-side buffs in multiplayer games because they expect the team to lose; players who are otherwise terrible at a first-person-shooter abusing Medic/Berserker/Survivalist to win where they would otherwise be trounced; Medics "helping" by tanking hits for players as what should be the fragile support class). In many cases with pub games, the disruptive players go hand-in-hand with the perk's problematic aspects because they learn to abuse them.
    Ideally this would extend to other aspects of the game such as removing blatantly OP weapons that violate perk roles, but that is unlikely to happen at this stage in the game's lifetime.

And perks that are balanced around 6P HoE--the default hardest setting in the game--do not lose their potential in solo because solo is piddly easy by comparison. There's a good reason why Berserker and Field Medic are still recommended for players looking to cheese Hell on Earth wins for achievements: they are objectively easier to win with, especially in solo, because the game is far less punishing on that setting, and especially for those perks. So that is a non-issue.

This is going to be pretty cynical, but I have to say it. Every time an Event beta starts, this is how the update notes read to me:
    - Nerfed some of Cannonaire's playstyles specifically, so that he would have less fun even though he mainly just plays solo these days and doesn't play disruptively when he does play multiplayer.
    No comment.

Leaving aside the fact that Berserker's main change was not being able to wade into the entire horde and come out alive on the game's hardest difficulty setting, what else do I say to that? I've said my piece on Medic above.

And this is omitting a number of things that I could say and probably have said in previous threads:
    • The efficacy of headshots should indeed be the primary balancing factor for the game. Headshots are intended to be difficult and should be the most rewarding aspect of the game. However...
    • There are perks that, by their nature, are disruptive and/or have disproportionate rewards for the effort it takes to master them. This is a basic game design mistake; risk/effort vs. reward is half of what gives a game depth. If everything is more-or-less equal in result but not in effort or learning curve, players will inevitably gravitate out of trying to play the harder perks in favor of the easier ones, because why would they?
      • See literally any chaotic perk vs. their precision counterpart.
      • This is a mistake of balancing; if you want proof of what I mean, see the "Firebug vs. SWAT" problem, where HoE is beatable by mostly staying awake as Firebug while you shoot the floor, while SWAT needs to be about ten-thousand times better to perform 105% vs. the Firebug's 95%. Why bother learning to rapid-fire headshot as SWAT when one can spam fire at chokepoint floors and watch the kill ticker give dopamine? Why bother learning to play Sharpshooter now that Demo has the Kaboomstick, eliminating its primary weakness?
      • The solution to the above is not to buff SWAT to the point where it can kill everything on bodyshots, but to reduce the efficacy of Firebug in general. Firebug should struggle in Suicidal and need Demos to cover it in HoE to function well.
      • These same chaotic perks counteract their precision counterparts by making the game harder for the latter, by way of disruptive mechanics (panic, stumble, fire dancing, poison, explosions shaking screens, particle effects, etc.). The opposite does not hold true unless you're playing on something like Containment Station or Fat Cat's corridor map where the Zeds are effectively funneled into a shooting gallery for hitscanners.
    • There are some perks that have outstandingly high survivability compared to the rest of the perks in the game, which become glass cannons as the game shifts to higher difficulties. Berserker still has some of that, but Medic is disproportionately so, and Survivalist is getting there.
      • These perks, by way of being nearly impossible to screw up with and lose compared to other perks, are extremely attractive to disruptive players, or those who would choose mediocre loadouts for a team because they are banking on using the solo-oriented loadouts in preparation for their team to die so they can play on scaled-down difficulties.
      • When players can skirt by in a first-person-shooter by being bad at the first-person-shooting bit yet still somehow manage to be the last person alive and carry rounds, something is fundamentally wrong with the design of both the game and the perks. These players should be the first to die.
      • "Last Man Standing" scale-down is a huge problem in general with this game and is half the reason for perk imbalances, but as that has been in place for years and years, if there are no plans to change it, you must change the game around it. Something has to give somewhere.
    • HoE should not be equally winnable by any tactic or whatever is considered "fun," because what is "fun" is not always objectively good, or takes much less skill. If your hardest difficulty is equally winnable by everything regardless of skill, the difficulty doesn't matter.
    And just to cut one more thing off before it starts: Many things that are nerfed in betas are done for good reason, such as the old Reducto Ray, which allowed any perk to take a tool that bypassed all of the game's basic mechanics and erased up to 14 Fleshpounds. For several hundred dosh and five (5) weight blocks. And up to 6 players could carry this.

People still complained about the RR being nerfed because "stop removing fun" and "well you could just not use it." This, of course, ignores the fact that it was blatantly OP, and that even if one chooses not to use it, you cannot stop other players from doing so, which of course they did, because it was blatantly OP. So you might have five players abusing it in a game instead of six. Whee.

Killing Floor is a PvE shooter with loads of variety, not a competitive eSports title.
    Ah, the "it's not a competitive game so balance and fairness shouldn't factor."

No. Again, I point to four different difficulties.

The game, at its highest difficulty setting, should be challenging and not disproportionately easy for some perks to beat compared to others. The highest difficulty level is intended to challenge a player's individual (and collective, for multiplayer) knowledge and technical skills. To omit that would be to miss the point.

Anyone who wants the experience of using whatever they want without the challenge can play lower difficulties. Anyone who wants the challenge should play harder difficulties, and argue for those difficulties to stay difficult.

Believing there is just one most optimal way is too limiting. You won't be flexible enough to employ possibly better tactics if you think that way.
    You're missing the point.

Unless literally all options available are equal among all players and roles, there will always be a most effective way of doing things, a most efficient way of doing things, etc. That's the whole point of forming the META in the first place (Most Effective Tactic Available).

That doesn't mean that other options can't be used, or that they're not viable, but there will always be a "best" way of doing things. Players more skilled than you or I will were the ones who found that out. The META is discovered by people who enjoy exploring the depths of what a game has to offer, because they enjoy it.

Now, having said that, it's true that the designers for this game have been trying to reduce the gap in player skill that the META (which they created, mind) has resulted in over the years.
    The armored Zeds, EDARs, QPs, and such were all evidence of that.

But it doesn't change the fact that a group of skilled hitscanners diversifying their perks will still be the top-tier method of beating this game. Which is perfectly fine and by design, as that meshes with TWI's deliberate design choices from the game's base mechanics. They don't even have to be using their best weapons, but it's what gives them the best shot at winning a game and maximizing their performances on their respective roles. Which is perfectly reasonable on the game's hardest difficulty.

Now, doing well at the game's hardest difficulty level may be harder if you don't use the best options available, but that's the risk you take.
    Is it fair, then, that if the rest of a team is trying their hardest, you also shouldn't?

Everything they said was covered in the Steam thread. Basically it comes down to this: The Steam thread took off with pages of good discussion, and the thread here has gotten like three or four responses aside from my own posts, so it's not worth it for me to continue here. I make my argument pretty clear there, and to be blunt I have medical problems that make it difficult for me to do basically anything. I'm not dismissing their arguments, but I'm simply not able to go through the whole process that happened in the Steam discussion here. I'd be happy to continue the debate there, but I'm not going to spend several hours going through here what has already been covered there.
    It's kinda poor form to just drop this prompt in pretty much any KF2-relevant forum and then say you're not bothering to respond except on one specific forum.

You didn't even address Aleflippy above, who also made some good points.

**Nota bene: the challenges added should not come at the cost of balancing around power creep because that begets its own set of bizarre difficulty and balancing problems. Exhibit A: Payday 2. It is much easier to nerf OP things than to keep power creeping while maintaining fairness and challenge.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    It's that Medic's current state in that regard is equally ridiculous when compared to the rest of the perks, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be looked at because a number of actually good players have concluded that it's a problematic perk. It's meant to be a force multiplier and team support at the cost of being weak on an individual level, but with each patch, Medic only gets stronger and stronger as an individual. This is not a good thing for the health of the game. Medic is tantamount to a cheat code in many ways, and that needs to change.

It's also about discouraging playstyles that are just awful to put up with (Medics and Berserkers, and especially Medic/Zerk combos, using their ability to leave everyone in the dust on a moment's notice, kiting a round for 40 minutes because they can never die outside of instakills on bosses or a misplay so dramatic it would make the rounds on TikTok; players refusing to use left-side buffs in multiplayer games because they expect the team to lose; players who are otherwise terrible at a first-person-shooter abusing Medic/Berserker/Survivalist to win where they would otherwise be trounced; Medics "helping" by tanking hits for players as what should be the fragile support class). In many cases with pub games, the disruptive players go hand-in-hand with the perk's problematic aspects because they learn to abuse them.
    Ideally this would extend to other aspects of the game such as removing blatantly OP weapons that violate perk roles, but that is unlikely to happen at this stage in the game's lifetime.
    I agree with everything you say here, but to make it a bit more practical. What do?

TWI are unlikely to do anything as they can't distinguish good from bad feedback. But modders can.

I get that one could just remove say the Incision from the trader. But this approach is a step down a purity spiral, as if we remove that, then why we don't remove something next in line. In the end we'll get the game that is pretty pure, but nobody is going to play it. Just a reminder, we are talking 3K players a day average game here. We already have CustomWeapons mod (not whitelisted obviously) that is played by about 5 people in the whole world who can never find a time in a day when they all agree to play it as a team.

Another argument against removal is people like variety of weapons.

So... would it work if we reduced Incision damage from 400 to 100? It would still adhere to a support/buffer/debuffer medic role as it would calm down a raging scrake and heal a player through a horde of zeds on the other side of the map, but would become utterly useless against big zeds. The punishment for a medic who abandons their team would be inability to clutch a wave alone or taking 2 hours to do that so nobody would be willing to stay that long.

And since we are at it... The medic bat is already nerfed, but is it nerfed enough?

Upvote 0
    The most immediate aspects of Medic's kit that need to be redone, arguably in order:
    • Nerf gas. Somehow. Probably make it so that it can't kill Zeds or at the very least doesn't cause poison panic.
      • The only thing gas can't do at this point is kill HVTs, but it can do the following:
        • Kill trash en masse, including in AoE and through other Zeds and players
        • Delay Medics from being hit via poison panic, which is basically an instant incap; lets you kite for free depending on the weapon
        • Heal and give the Medic near-instant full buff stacks, depending on the source
        • Heal and give other teammates near-instant full buff stacks
        • The following are sources of gas:
          • Throwing grenades (5 uses, more with a team Demo)
          • HMTech-501 (10 uses, more with Support)
          • Airborne Agent, which while less of a problem since the player can't trigger it at will, effectively gives the Medic multiple seconds of trash immunity and buffs and heals other player
          • Healthrower gives 700 units of gas on demand and also has healing darts and also heals players while killing Zeds at the same time; this weapon is too good all around
    • Nerf the Hemogoblin so that it isn't a swiss army weapon that also debuffs.
      • Unfortunately nothing will stop the worst idiots from spamming 7 shots at a time on Scrakes barring the kick function, but it doesn't need to have as overloaded a kit as it does.
      • The part where it can instantly body any non-large with an upgrade is pretty raised-eyebrow since...
      • ...it also does 25 base healing per dart and has more darts/mag than basically everything except the 401.
      • And debuffs HVTs with slowdown and reduced damage.
    • Nerf the Incision's primary fire damage. It pains me to say that because the Incision is my favorite Medic weapon, but right now it's got too much packed into one kit and it can be carried with all the good Medic weapons anyway, which means it doesn't really have a drawback.
      • Your idea is a good start.
      • I want to keep the part where the medic darts can decap things because it's hilarious but it's probably not the best idea.
    • Healthrower...
      • ...if it couldn't kill Zeds--or at least not as reliably as it currently does--I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it.
    • Health/armor, speed, or damage resistance. Pick two.
      • Right now Medic has above-average health, above average damage resistance, above-average armor, fast runspeed, and gets bonus damage with armor...
      • ...on top of a syringe that recharges in four (4) seconds and restores higher-than-usual health.
      • All of which leads to them being ridiculously hard to kill outside of gross misplays.
    And since we are at it... The medic bat is already nerfed, but is it nerfed enough?
    It shouldn't exist in the first place, but oh well.

It's...fine-ish, I guess, on Medic? It's a crutch for Berserker but at least they lose out on equipment.

It's a turbo-mega crutch on Survivalist since the extra weight skill lets them take that AND Medic grenades for free compared to other perks. I've seen Survs go through rounds literally just sitting in fart clouds and healing themselves with the alt-fire.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I'm not sure about the medic gas, it sounds a bit controversial, I'll think about it more and solicit more arguments.
    I figure the gas bit would be controversial.

From my perspective: back when it was just 5 throwable grenades + Airborne Agent, it was in far more limited quantities, so that wasn't as big of an issue. It's powerful, sure, but you had to ration it out and plan your grenades.

With the added prevalence of weapons that offer more of it, that limited supply of a powerful resource is no longer a setback.

But Incision dmg nerf, Goblin dmg nerf, Healthrower healing gas nerf seem like a good start. I'm going to work on this.
    (y)

As for speed... Currently, the wiki states that the passive speed bonus is mere 10%. You think it matters?
    In a vacuum, 10% extra speed is no problem IMO.

When you consider the Medic buffs (that can sometimes apply to the Medic) + everything else that can be added on top of it, the whole kit is just too much; it makes the Medic really tanky and is part of what enables the 50-minute-end-of-round kite against the three Fleshpounds that killed the rest of your team (except for maybe the Berserker).

To put it in another perspective: Sharpshooters with Marksman, which also gives a 10% speed boost, aren't surviving chained Fleshpound hits and kiting for 30 minutes after the rest of their team has died unless the Sharpshooter is good.

IDK, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Upvote 0
    I have plenty of thoughts some share of which I posted here, don't want to repeat. But also as a modder I know that it's easy to go overboard with something. Server owners who run extreme mods lose players. Weird decisions are unpopular and this applies to TWI as well.

Therefore I'm used to treading lightly. I prefer to start with uncontroversial changes everybody agrees on and I rarely implement a balance change without discussing it first for months. So, the aforementioned weapon nerfs at this point I see as understandable and uncontroversial. This is going to apply to online games on modded servers only, so I don't care about solo vanilla game experience repercussions much.

The gas -- I dunno. I pretty much almost never hear the vets complain about it. And they complain a lot, but probably this issue isn't at the top of the list of all the grievances, so I'd like to stay reserved here.

Basically, the issue has to be the EDARs or FP/QP spawnrage levels to be incorporated or at the very least discussed for months with every counterargument expressed, heard, weighed and defeated.

So, aforementioned changes are on the list. The rest -- well, let's see how it goes first.

Upvote 0
    I agree with everything you say here, but to make it a bit more practical. What do?

TWI are unlikely to do anything as they can't distinguish good from bad feedback. But modders can.

I get that one could just remove say the Incision from the trader. But this approach is a step down a purity spiral, as if we remove that, then why we don't remove something next in line. In the end we'll get the game that is pretty pure, but nobody is going to play it. Just a reminder, we are talking 3K players a day average game here. We already have CustomWeapons mod (not whitelisted obviously) that is played by about 5 people in the whole world who can never find a time in a day when they all agree to play it as a team.
    I don't know man... TF2C had a pretty solid playerbase in the months following release. And I would guess most of them were veterans, more than happy to come back to a simpler form of Team Fortress 2. As if the game's development stopped in late 2008. Granted, the players aren't numerous anymore, but I would guess it's due to a lack of updates (for a FIFTEEN years old game mind you).

So would a more pure KF2 drive people off? Probably the beginners and the trolls. But the veterans would love it for sure. That'd be a great send-off IMO.

For the rest, I'm actually fully sold on Onion's idea of a proper medic nerf. Again, I'd add that the skill trees should be less binary, so you could actually mix-up the left and right side (instead of playing "full-on supportive" or "battle medic"), but such a big rework is not gonna happen. Mind you, even by applying all the changes offered, the medic would still have a pretty solid arsenal and passives alike. It would "just" tackle the really ludicrous. And that's already a good thing really.

Upvote 0
    I apologize for my aloofness and misconduct in this thread. I have some severe health problems that have prevented me from responding properly here or in the Steam forums. Again, I'm sorry. I will try to respond better when I'm able. Please understand that I'm all for balance. I was fine doing what it took for teamwork in Killing Floor 1, and I used to play a lot of Killing Floor 2 HoE in teams, but I've had these health problems started mainly around 2018 and since then I've mostly played solo aside from small, 2-3 player games with friends. Without being able to say much at the moment, the main worry for me is that what I enjoy in one of the few games I'm still able to play will be taken away. Take care. I will try to respond to your messages when I can.

Upvote 0
    But I would definitely blame a selfish player. And in Suicidal and Hell On Earth difficulties... that includes people playing with joke weapons or being the third demo of the bunch. It's more than okay in normal and hard (those games are hard to lose anyway). But above? Yeah, I don't really like losing because someone went LEROY JENKINS and died after 30 seconds.
    This is not at all what I was talking about. Use teamwork. Don't use joke weapons. But also don't be forced to use meta weapons or someone else's build order. If you're using teamwork and doing what you have found to be effective, go for it. Do you see what I'm saying? You shouldn't be kicked for doing what you believe to be a good strategy, but players get kick-happy if they don't like the weapon or skills you chose. There is room to choose different, non-meta skills, as long as you're not using completely-awful skills like poison on Medic.

There's always single-player mode for those who want to have fun on their terms, and specifically their terms.

There's also adjustable difficulties for those who don't want to worry about trying to optimize or play their best.

No, the game doesn't have a competitive leaderboard, but that's also not an excuse to not try. And that's really all most of the high-level players are asking: to please try and work with the team, and if that means getting headshots, so be it.

To quote one of my favorite ex-players (FeelZeSchadenfreude) who diligently worked on the best guide on Steam, emphasis mine:
    I read that introduction, and I refute his assertion that there are Good Players, who have learned the meta, and everyone else is a Bad Player and a selfish prick, no less.
    I am a good player. I used to be great in 6p HoE, usually playing Medic, though health problems preclude my playing that right now. I never learned the complicated takedowns on berserker or demo, and I never cared to count my shots on single-lane maps to learn takedowns. That sort of thing absolutely destroys any fun I have with the game. And yet, I was still very effective because I did learn other aspects of the game. I have deep game knowledge and game sense, having played since early access, and I know what a team needs to succeed. Am I a Bad Player and a selfish prick for playing what the team needs and helping them succeed, just because I didn't want to learn takedowns and count my shots? No. His assertion is wrong and I would dare say his attitude is selfish and elitist.

This is one of the most frustrating things about the direction the game has taken over the years:

Pub players have gotten sick of being asked to perform their roles--sometimes well, even!--in a game where you can have up to six players and each of them has a distinct role to be performed.
    There's no accounting for what pub players are going to do. But you shouldn't just kick someone enjoying the game they bought because you don't like what they're doing on a public server. Whenever I want a game with friends or a serious 6p HoE game, I spin up a dedicated server myself with a password. It's not difficult. Going to a public server and kicking players who just want to play how they want, succeed or fail, is like going out to a McDonald's and telling people they aren't allowed to order the food they want because you don't like how it smells. If you only want people playing exactly how you want them to, or with some kind of understanding about roles, just play on a private server. I wish listen servers were a thing in KF2 because that would make things a lot easier for a lot of people, barring port forwarding.

This has similar energy to "I want to win at Tekken 7 but hate labbing bread-and-butter combos." You don't have to learn combos or takedowns, but it helps you succeed and--by proxy--it helps your team succeed when you do. These have been discovered by other players better than you or I and they exist for good reason.

KF2 isn't even a game where that applies most of the time. Generally, takedowns are "Zed [Y] needs [X] shots applied to the head in [Z] timeframe so that they die before they can rage, and by extension, start repurposing your teammates' heads as cereal bowls." That's literally it. That's not a huge ask, even in Hell on Earth, but it sure helps.

The only exceptions are 1) some Demo combos because of the nature of how Zed rage mechanics work, and how clunky Demo weapons can be, and 2) Berserker combos, which rely on abusing Berserker's stumble procs to combo Zeds to death.

If you're allergic to literally every one of those, then just pick the Freezethrower and spam "REQUEST HELP" whenever a Scrake/FP/QP shows up.

If that's still too much of an ask, then just drop down difficulties. Sometimes HoE requires you to do things efficiently to not lose, which is not a bad thing considering it is literally designed to be harder than hard mode.

A difficulty that is "hard but also I can win by doing whatever I want no matter what" is not difficult in practice. If I can still win by spraying everything with a Healthrower in Hell on Earth, is that any different in practice from Normal?
    I covered some of this above, but you shouldn't be required to use specific weapons or tactics if you're still effective. I can land most of my headshots (or at least I could before my injuries). My consistency wasn't perfect, but my aim was good enough, and I had enough experience, game knowledge, and game sense to do well anyway. You don't need to be 100% optimal all the time how it is now, and I don't think things should be rebalanced so that you do, even on HoE. CD is a thing. This game isn't Tekken 7. I avoid fighting games because I know that they are completely figured out and optimized to such a degree that I personally wouldn't have fun trying to compete. I don't want Killing Floor 2 to be like that, hence what I said about it not being a competitive eSport. I want to have fun shooting zombies, and I want to have a challenge (HoE) I am capable of winning if I play well and, in multiplayer, be a team player. But I don't want to be grinding a figured-out pattern every time; I would rather quit than do that.
    I'm not going to drop down difficulties knowing that I'm effective in HoE. If someone has a problem with how I play, even though it has helped me win HoE games before and I'm doing what the team needs (playing the right perk, good skills, non-joke weapons, etc.), then they should keep it to themselves or play on a different server. And I'm not just going to pick up the Freezethrower if I'm capable of hitting most of my headshots unless the team really needs that debuffer. You say you have read the Steam discussion - you know I'm not the type to just go Healthrower and all solo perks in multiplayer. That was never what I was talking about in my first post, hence why I said you grossly misunderstood it.

I believe I've made a response to all points of concern in your first post. You misunderstood the kind of player I am and the kind of player and play I was talking about. I don't think "anything goes" is workable on the hardest difficulty, but by that same token I don't believe "only one thing goes" is right either.
    I need to lie down. If I am able, I will respond to other posts here. Be well.

Upvote 0
    I have overexerted myself again. I can't give as thorough a response as I want to right now, but I will add a few more things that might be relevant.

I will concede that I definitely don't know how bad the problem of disruptive play is. Last time I joined a pub alone was probably in Early Access. I either play solo or with friends, and part of that comes down to what I said before - there is no accounting for what pub players will do. Last time I played 6p HoE was over 4 years ago because of my health problems, though I have played some HoE with fewer players since then. Again, always private games with just friends, and usually on voice chat.

Regarding imbalanced weapons - I haven't used most of the newer weapons much. I've only used the shrink ray a couple times in solo, and I didn't have the DLC during the beta so I didn't know how imbalanced it was then. Same goes for most of the imbalanced weapons. I'm more of a bullet and headshot guy. The perk I play most is by far Commando, which was my main since before the FAL was added. And regarding the FAL, I know that it is somewhat overpowered, but gosh dangit, it is literally my favorite gun I have every used in a game, and I've been playing shooters since 1995. That should be saying a lot. I would be really sad if they nerfed the FAL.

Regarding Berserker and how patch notes read to me sometimes - I can still play Berserker effectively if I play much more cautiously. It's not that I have trouble avoiding damage. The problem is that I don't have fun retreating so often. Berserker was a perk I would go on - usually in solo - to just cut loose and destress. I don't get that from it anymore because I find myself running more than attacking now.

_____

But here is the most important thing I wanted to talk about. I understand that balancing a game is necessary, and it makes sense to balance things right away after they've been released because players will find exploits and such. My problem is with balancing things years, sometimes even 6 or 7 years after they have last been changed. I don't know about you, but for me it is just about the worst feeling in the world to be given something, get used to it, and then have it taken away. That's how the game has felt since the Berserker nerf.

Further, I don't think it is controversial to say that Killing Floor 1 is and has always been a much more difficult game than Killing Floor 2. I was able to adapt and play 6p HoE back then in KF1 and I had fun. But I joined in the last few years when big changes weren't being made to the game anymore. All of the muscle memory I built I was able to keep and make use of without worrying about the tools I found to be effective getting nerfed. It is painful to have things changed years after muscle memory has been solidified, and it sucks to have things taken away in Killing Floor 2.

Which brings me to the last point for now - I would be fine with them balancing and tuning Killing Floor 3 however they want. Assuming my health problems aren't as bad, I will most likely find my stride and do whatever it takes to be good at that game, even if it takes doing some things I'm a bit uncomfortable with (not things I'm very uncomfortable with, though). But Killing Floor 2 has been in player hands for 7 years now, and most of the core balance has been solidified for the last 5 aside from the recent berserker nerf. Overhauling KF2 at this point would be a big problem for a lot of players. (The big weapon overhaul in TF2 around 2015 is one of the main reasons I quit that game.) I don't want the game changed so much that suddenly I'm not decent at it anymore when it's likely the game won't even be supported for much longer. I and I think many other players as well don't want to have to relearn the game we have been playing for 7 years.

Just bring on Killing Floor 3 and let us create a new meta there.

Again, I will try to respond more if needed when I am able. Be well.

Upvote 0
    Sorry for a 4th post without response in between, but I have a bit more I'm able to say.

Games these days are mostly live service, so you often can't go back and play a game how it used to be. I think we would all like to try that with KF2. I just want to play the same game I've been playing for the last 6 years. I have neurological issues, and I'm not able to relearn the same game over and over after big, frequent changes. I don't learn as well by reading guides or watching videos. I learn best by doing something I enjoy, and sometimes it takes awhile. If I don't get in on the ground floor and keep track of changes as they happen, I have trouble learning what has changed. Same goes for sudden, big changes. I was able to get good at KF2 remarkably quickly with just time and experience Beating 6p HoE in Early Access), and that's one of the things I love about it. That's one reason I like PvE games in particular - they need to be balanced, but they don't need to be balanced as tightly or as often as PvP games. Additionally, as much as some people hate new weapons that give good results for little effort, I greatly appreciate the developers adding weapons that can give good results to people with disabilities. I'm a strong proponent of accessibility in games.

Perhaps the game-from-6-years-ago point is something we can come together on. I hated the addition of eDARs, as did many players. That ship has long since sailed though, and they aren't going anywhere. But I bring it up because 6 years ago the game was also much more tightly balanced. People didn't complain much at all about Medic's survivability when its weapons were only 101, 201, 301, and 401. Last time I played Medic in 6p HoE, 401 was the way to go and there were no options that even came close. I hope that if/when they release Killing Floor 3 that it will be tightly balanced and stay that way. Early Access for KF2 was an amazing time.

Lastly, please don't take what I say out of context to make it look like I'm saying something I'm absolutely not trying to say. I did say "Killing Floor is a PvE shooter with loads of variety, not a competitive eSports title.", to which you replied "Ah, the "it's not a competitive game so balance and fairness shouldn't factor."" I made it pretty clear I was saying the game should be balanced, but just not as stringently as an eSports title. It doesn't ruin someone's day when one perk is killing AI enemies faster in PvE the way it would if a character were clearly more powerful than another in a competitive game. I also never mentioned trolls or disruptive players in my original post while clearly stating that I use teamwork and try my best within my skill and experience, and yet at every opportunity you and others ignored that part and instead acted like I was supporting disruptive play, which I was not. You even took the way patch notes read to me out of context and removed every detail except the one in which I mention myself to make me look selfish. It's fine to disagree, but it's another thing entirely to misrepresent what I say.

Thanks again, and take care.

P.S. I don't want to go into my medical details too much, but the reason why I needed to quit both threads for awhile comes down to how fatigued I get from my health problems. Sorry for the bad form. I won't go too deeply into my exact problems, but I'm comfortable sharing that I have a neurological condition which caused me to fall and break seven vertebrae in my back last year. I am also legally disabled since 2018 due to something else. Hopefully that explains things, and that is as much as I'm willing to share here right now.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0