• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing Ostfront using Cedega on Linux

Hi there,

Just gave it a try with Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/) and what do i have to say... it ran flawlessly :). Had d3d render enabled and 1600x1200 fusllscreen, everything else on medium settings (same ini i use under xp) and on an empty danzig server i got average fps from 60-90. That was just a quick try, though..will give it a longer test maybe this evening.
Oh, and i have "new" hardware btw :D:

AMD 3500+ "Venice"
A8N32Sli Deluxe
1gb Corsair
Nvidia 7600GT

Had the same issues as most ppl here with wine and mouse capture...actually a shame, for everything else wine works just fine. Cedega even refused to launch Steam (or it took ages to load)...cannot recommend that at all.

So,
*advertising on*
if u want to spend money on some very nice 3rd party software go for cxoffice. It's not that expensive (39$ for the standard version and these guys do some excellent work. Afaik (might be wrong), quite a few ppl from the Wine project earn money within codeweavers as well, so this way u can contribute something to the Wine project :).
*advertising off*
:D

greetz,
gitano

P.S.:
Would really like native clients for Linux of this but, hmm, looks like I'm dreaming.
Welcome to the club of daydreamers :D. Its sad, but it won't happen at all, i think :/.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't get this to work. I removed WINE via synaptic, downloaded the source, downloaded the patch, patched like this:

patch -p0 < ravenshield_dinput_hack_wine-0.9.44.patch

It appeared to apply ok. Then I compiled WINE and all went ok. Steam started up ok but RO and HL2 would not run at all. The window appears saying "starting RO" but then it crashes out.

If I "make uninstall" and re-install WINE from a deb.... Ostfront works (except for the mouse problem).

???

I downloaded the files from your site and tried them also but they appear to have no effect. Are you sure you have the correct files? The patch seems to apply to dlls/dinput/mouse.c but one of your files refers to dinput8.

sudo cp -p ./usr/lib/wine/dinput.dll.so ./usr/lib/wine/dinput.dll.so.old
sudo cp -p ./usr/lib/wine/libdinput.def.a ./usr/lib/wine/libdinput.def.a.old

Then, put in the temporary directory where it was unpacked the archive ... and copy files as follows:

sudo cp dinput.dll.so ./usr/lib/wine/ sudo cp libdinput8.def ./usr/lib/wine/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yesssssssssssss! I think you have a problem with opengl on your system (try "glxgears" from a terminal), it works better in that mode.
This hack will not be in the next Wine, i think. But many game suffer from this mouse problem...As i said, i'll update my webpage on next version...
@ L L: i'll try to become super-maintener of this game...as i can make it works. A "how-to" is avaliable in my website.
I'll should go on "Ubuntu Gubsy gibbon" soon.

So is this topic can be set [Resolved] ???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
any tweaks or tips you can pass on??

any tweaks or tips you can pass on??

Hey all,

Does anyone have any further tips or tweaks to getting RO to run better under linux??

I'm trying the evaluation of Crossover Games (http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-games-linux/) and Steam installed fine.

I have no sound in RO, but I haven't really spent any time looking into this yet.

I want to get the graphical bit solved first.

I'm on Ubuntu "Hardy" testing:

Code:
Linux ubuntu-beta 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

NVIDIA Driver Version: 169.12
Thanks all!

auslander

Upvote 0
Hey, Wine 1 point 0 is out, yes 1.0. Does this help with RO at all. I'm not sure how RO on linux (ubuntu in my case) would work. I downloaded wine doors just to give it a try, and downloaded steam within that. Then from steam I d/led RO which that didn't work. How would I get RO to work with steam/Wine/Doors because I'd rather not pay $5 per month? I really don't know how this all works together.

Upvote 0
Hey, Wine 1 point 0 is out, yes 1.0. Does this help with RO at all. I'm not sure how RO on linux (ubuntu in my case) would work. I downloaded wine doors just to give it a try, and downloaded steam within that. Then from steam I d/led RO which that didn't work. How would I get RO to work with steam/Wine/Doors because I'd rather not pay $5 per month? I really don't know how this all works together.

I'm using Ubuntu and Wine 1.0, works all right, when I'm using the mouse fix mentionned here, which I have to remember swapping back to normal when I play something else (namely, mount&blade)
However, I'm playing in OpenGL and, beside the usual strange menu, there are missing textures (ie it's in white and black zebra), both in the menus, and on the SVT (the whole of the gun), and on a slew of Darkest Hour buildings (especially on La Ville), on the BAR (the sights). Also, I get white and black squares at the base of arty explosions. Are those the result of Wine + OpenGL, or of wine "forgetting" about some files on install or something ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
However, I'm playing in OpenGL and, beside the usual strange menu, there are missing textures (ie it's in white and black zebra), both in the menus, and on the SVT (the whole of the gun), and on a slew of Darkest Hour buildings (especially on La Ville), on the BAR (the sights). Also, I get white and black squares at the base of arty explosions. Are those the result of Wine + OpenGL, or of wine "forgetting" about some files on install or something ?

My best advice for this is: I am assuming you are using an nVidia graphics card... you need to use the latest driver 173.xxx (can't remember exactly). There was a bug in the previous versions which corrupted some textures. I got this when playing the Mod.

If you are not using an nVidia card well sorry but I can't help :( except to say that I always used DirectX with WINE and it worked ok, give or take a lot of FPS.

Upvote 0