• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing Dead

vyvian

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 21, 2011
Don't know if anyone has already suggested this but:

Add the ability to 'Play Dead'.

Press of a button, your soldier lies down flat on their back, drops their primary weapon and grenades, and the screen blacks out. Only left with audio.

Would be a nice feature to have for when the cap you are defending is being overrun. Play dead, wait for the sound of enemy voices and footsteps to get a little more distant, then pick up your gun and go and shoot them in the back while your teammates mount a counter-attack.

If it is any effective, it will become a needlessly over represented battle tactic. Certainly many people in the history of the world has survived persecution by playing dead, but if it is in the game it will be used by some as an ambushing tactic, while the rest of the players run around stabbing and shooting corpses just to be sure. Neither would be good for the game nor the immersion into the game.

Upvote 0
Someone may prove me wrong, but to my knowledge, shooting 2 rounds into every corpse was basic training for the Germans (not sure about Russians) during the battle for Stalingrad.

It means players will have to take the time to clear cap points properly.

For the first week it'll be over used as hell, after that people will just fire 1 or 2 bullets into every corpse they see.

Exactly. Many people will be weary to use it after they get killed while their screen is blacked out, but I think that many will continue to use it every now and again, and attackers will forget to clear buildings sometimes, or assume others have already done it.

Also it could encourage a little more teamwork, as one or two players could be designated to clear the building, rather than have every player who runs through shoot at every corpse.

Reactions: how2skate_com
Upvote 0
What balances this is that you lose your weapons when you play dead. I would love this idea, since you would have to be on toes all the time, since this was a common tactic in urban combat.
But more importantly this would be an excellent way to include more teamwork!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't know if anyone has already suggested this but:

Add the ability to 'Play Dead'.

Press of a button, your soldier lies down flat on their back, drops their primary weapon and grenades, and the screen blacks out. Only left with audio.

Would be a nice feature to have for when the cap you are defending is being overrun. Play dead, wait for the sound of enemy voices and footsteps to get a little more distant, then pick up your gun and go and shoot them in the back while your teammates mount a counter-attack.

you remember when they added the spy to the orginal TF? on all the servers everyone shot everyone and said "soz spy check" even funnier was spy on noFF servers people would hose other players down regardless of the team cause of "spy check". Trust me, you're idea will devolve into that.

It's just easier to play on servers with no death message. haven't found one yet, but that is the funnest.

biggest hole in your idea tho is The_Cook would shoot corpses that didn't disappear after death message or 8seconds which ever came first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry but really bad idea that makes every one playing dead, that makes game too easy or too boring to play.

And if you drop your weapons and nades when playing dead and you can't see what if some ona enemy sneaks and collects your weapons and nades.
Then you don't have any weapons and you running running unarmed untill you die and respawn again or just playing dead whole match.

Upvote 0
you remember when they added the spy to the orginal TF? on all the servers everyone shot everyone and said "soz spy check" even funnier was spy on noFF servers people would hose other players down regardless of the team cause of "spy check". Trust me, you're idea will devolve into that.

It's just easier to play on servers with no death message. haven't found one yet, but that is the funnest.

biggest hole in your idea tho is The_Cook would shoot corpses that didn't disappear after death message or 8seconds which ever came first.

Yes TFC Spies. You could stand on them when they feigned and they couldn't get up . Just stand there and beat'em to death with a crowbar:D. spychecking just stripped armour on friendlies w/ FF off. Loved that game.

Upvote 0