• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Play on a 50 Player Server Today!!!

[TW]schneidzekk

Machete Engineering.
Staff member
Oct 10, 2005
ATL
www.tripwireinteractive.com
Play on a 50 Player Server Today!!!
Since the release of the update thousands of players have gotten a chance to experience the excitement of 50 player Red Orchestra: Ostfront. With some of the 50 player servers sitting idle though, it appears not everyone is getting a chance to experience this new and exciting way to play Red Orchestra. So to help the community out we’re going to list some of the best 50 player servers in the community here for everyone to check out. As long as you have Steam and Red Orchestra installed all you have to do is click on one of the links below and you’ll automatically be connected to one of these awesome 50 player behemoths. So get out there and join the battle!

East Coast US
Raiders Game Net 50 Man Server #2 – 72.243.113.9:7757
Raiders Game Net 50 Man Server #1 – 72.243.113.241:7757
AFTER-HOURZ.com 50 Player MeatGrinder!!! – 69.12.53.100:7757
Tripwire Dev’s East US #3 – 50 Players!!! – 69.12.53.10:7757

West Coast US
TWB's "Old Glory" West US – 50 Players!!! – 69.12.100.138:7757
Tripwire Dev’s West US #6 – 50 Players!!! – 69.12.100.138:7787

Europe (United Kingdom)
The Wild Bunch 50 Player Server – 77.74.192.88:7757
The Wild Bunch 50 Player Server – 77.74.192.88:7787

You may think this is "helping the community out". But in fact the 50 player servers are only a small part of the community!
What about the many other much smaller servers? are you trying to empty them even further?
They probably need more help than the 50 player servers, a few of which are constantly full anyway.
You seem to be biased towards your own and the other 50 player servers,whilst snubbing the rest.
Come on TWI. PLAY FAIR!
Come on server Admins. speak up! Do you think this is the way you should be treated!
Do you think the largest servers should have a monopoly of the game!

Upvote 0
You may think this is "helping the community out". But in fact the 50 player servers are only a small part of the community!
What about the many other much smaller servers? are you trying to empty them even further?
They probably need more help than the 50 player servers, a few of which are constantly full anyway.
You seem to be biased towards your own and the other 50 player servers,whilst snubbing the rest.
Come on TWI. PLAY FAIR!
Come on server Admins. speak up! Do you think this is the way you should be treated!
Do you think the largest servers should have a monopoly of the game!

At any one time there are approximately 1200-2000 people playing. Even if all 8 50 man servers were full at that time (which they aren't) that would still only account for a maximum of the 400 that are playing leaving ample room for the other servers. People gravitate towards populated servers regardless of the player counts. The 50 player limit was a new feature implemented recently so I don't see the problem trying to get more people exposed to it.

Upvote 0
I hardly think anyone is trying to have a monopoly. The players decide what they want and where they play. Server size, map rotation, mutators, and admin presence all factor into the choices. No one is entitled to anything from anyone else in the community nor TWI for support. Right now the 50 player environment is popular because it is the newest thing. Once Darkest Hour of Carpathian Cross release their content and servers pop up for those, are you going to be running around screaming that they are stealing 'stock' players or that the stock servers should shut down to help out the mods? Promoting the 50 man servers is a great way to make notice of the few resources out there capable of handling the player counts and for TWI to promote THEIR game and maybe sell a few more copies.

Players will decide where to play. Some like the big boxes while some will prefer the smaller 32 player servers. It is all about choices. Some maps play terribly with 50 players (Basovka for one) while some others are awesome in the larger crowds. Server admins who feel that they have to compete are in no different a situation now than they were pre-50 code. They still had other 32 player servers to compete against for players. Admins can't run crappy maps, mediocre mutators/mods, and un-admined servers and expect to keep players. It's a free-market and the better product will win out. People need to get over their 'entitlement' mentality. TWI has gone far beyond many of their competitors in their community interaction. In the end, there is a nice server browser that advertises for free, all the servers out there. Admins that want more traffic need to get off their butts, make some signatures, post some news about 'events' or whatever. Seed your servers. Find a niche and go after it. Do something positive.

Upvote 0
Slyk and JAKL i agree with every thing you say about player choice,and in that respect the 50 player server has changed nothing,it was and still is a dog eat dog world!
But I wasn't talking about player choice.
I was talking about TWI being fair and unbiased to all who play the game, and and to all who host their own server,instead of blatently advertising their own servers,possibly at the cost of others.

If TWI want to host their own servers,i got no problem with that,but they should do it on equal terms with the rest of us ie;
Start another web site,another forum,start their own clan even,the same as we've all had to do,instead of trying to milk what is a bit of a captive audience they have here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure. But I bet most players sort servers by player counts anyway, to see where guys are or have favorites that they check first and if not finding players, move to the general browser. It sucks for some but AHz ran out a number of servers early on and gradually cut back. They still have two great boxes with no players 99% of the time now. It's up to the server admins though, in the end, to promote their servers and to garner players. I can't blame TWI for wanting to promote a new experience and maybe make a few more bucks. If they keep the cash coming, that means that many more hours of development time for the next game. I am sure they have no ill intentions and as I can understand your point of view, you can't be mad at other 50 player communities either, Mike and Butch advertise their IPs all the time. That doesn't make them guilty of anything other than promoting servers they pay for and play on. Just good business sense.

Upvote 0
We're not favoring any 50 player servers. As far as I know, these are the only 50 player servers in the community that we know for sure have the CPU/Bandwidth to properly handle 50 players. There are a few others, but they lag terribly because thier CPUs are overloaded. So we're promote 50 player RO, nothing more, nothing less. If anyone else has a 50 playey server with the power to properly handle it, we'll put that one up on the front page too :)

Upvote 0
Slyk and JAKL i agree with every thing you say about player choice,and in that respect the 50 player server has changed nothing,it was and still is a dog eat dog world!
But I wasn't talking about player choice.
I was talking about TWI being fair and unbiased to all who play the game, and and to all who host their own server,instead of blatently advertising their own servers,possibly at the cost of others.

If TWI want to host their own servers,i got no problem with that,but they should do it on equal terms with the rest of us ie;
Start another web site,another forum,start their own clan even,the same as we've all had to do,instead of trying to milk what is a bit of a captive audience they have here.

I fail to see the basis of your complaint, Major.

TWI does host their own forums. Your reading a post in it now. Instead of recurring monthly clan fees, your small one time purchase fee is providing you a place to advertise your clan and your server. TWI allows everyone to advertise their servers/clans/websites here. I'll bet your clan does not allow that on their website. TWI is also providing you a place to meet and greet a diverse RO player base. And should you not be the clan type, TWI is also providing you with multiple public servers to play on (again from your small one time purchase fee) and they are providing you with information on other servers.

I don't have an RO clan, but I host a server. There are several of us around here that have been hosting servers since the MOH days just as a hobby and something we enjoy doing. (I've had the priviledge of seeing the Dark Side's MOH and CoD servers full 24/7 for months on end...and both at the same time. RO players, however, seem to be a little more tempermental :confused: ) Server hosting is not unique to clans.

Though the internet was only a gleam in Al Gore's eye during my college tenure, I would imagine that Business 101 today would encourage a game developer to host and advertise a server running its own game. Why shouldn't they have a control subject? And doesn't good business dictate advertising?

Lastly, I would imagine (I could be wrong) that only a small fraction of the game owners have ever been to this website or even know that it exits. One post from the host isn't really going to sway the vast majority of players to avoid or visit any given server.

The only complaint I have is that a particular 44 man server was not listed ;)

Floyd

Upvote 0