• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Plane Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMOPoster.gif
<--- this is me.

Upvote 0
The plane increases thrust. It begins to move forward. The treadmill tries to match it's speed by turning the opposite direction, but it only tries to match it. For the tread mill to stop the forward movement of the plane. It would have to anticipate the planes forward movement by going faster than the wheels are turning. Since it only matches the forward movement. The wheels will always be moving faster than the tread.

Once the plane over comes the friction in it's own wheel bearing, which isn't much. The tread mill will never be able to stop forward motion simply by catching up. It will always move slower than the wheels.

-------------------------------------------------

Man, I read through everything I wrote before I got back on track. That is just embarrassing.:eek:

Upvote 0
It's amazing that this thread has gone on for 400 posts. The plane doesn't know or care that it's on a treadmill. By the logic of those people that say it won't fly, if the motion of the plane's wheels mattered one bit the plane WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO FLY because as soon as the plane leaves the earth it would slow down and fall from the sky. The plane doesn't impose any force on the treadmill except for the normal force due to it's weight. A plane doesn't get forward motion because it's pushing on the earth ffs, it flies because it's pushing on the air.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.