• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Plane Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
66611110030515-large-Makita-N1900B-3-1-4-Inch-Power-Planer.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok, the plane has jet engines pushing it forward.. look, if I had a toy car, and placed it on the tread mill, now lets say the threadmill is really fast, but I put my finger behind the car, so now its standing still, if i push it forward (like jet engines push a plane, right?) it doesnt matter how fast the mill is going now does it?its just that the wheels will go faster.. Im not even concerned with the wheels, I'm pushing the chassis of the car.

If this is true the whole question, the "clever treadmill" etc is a FALSE question, because airplanes, as far as I know, are not propelled by their wheels (except maybe for taxing etc) so when taking off , the wings and fuselage moves relative to the air around it , and not relative to the ground, in this case the treadmill. because its using air to propel itself.
I think what fools you here, is that usually the air and the ground is generally both in the same place (minus a little wind)

The pilot doesnt really care how fast the wheels are going, he is only interested in how much lift he has on the wings.

On the other hand, if the WHEELS are driving the plane, like with a car, then it wouldnt budge, and thus never gain lift.

Upvote 0
airplanes, as far as I know, are not propelled by their wheels (except maybe for taxing etc)

Tell that to the guy who taxied one of the last 2 flying lancasters into a DC3 a few years ago. (I saw the remains of the DC 3 a few weeks afterwards. Those merlins made mince meat of it) I can't find any pictures of it.

So no, taxing planes are not propelled by their wheels. It's all thrust, baby!

Upvote 0
Tell you what: send this link with the original problem to Mythbusters, and they will probably be glad to try it out.

(that is, if they even bother to - everyone should be able to tell by simply thinking logically, that it won't fly)
I already looked there, and since there are people who never saw a search button before, there are like 4 threads about this.

They even have two catagories, Fly guys, and No-Fly Guys.

The solution is so obvious that most people over there seem to get quite annoyed by the mention of this problem. :D

All the rational people there know it will fly, but there are still some sticklers saying stuff like "OMG!! the tires will explode". :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I already looked there, and since there are people who never saw a search button before, there are like 4 threads about this.

They even have two catagories, Fly guys, and No-Fly Guys.

The solution is so obvious that most people over there seem to get quite annoyed by the mention of this problem. :D

All the rational people there know it will fly, but there are still some sticklers saying stuff like "OMG!! the tires will explode". :rolleyes:

This is why Jamie and Adam must make it.

And if the plane takes off... well then they are just going to have to make it EXPLODE

Upvote 0
So, if I put on some wings and ran on a treadmill I'd create lift and be able to fly???!!!! :eek: :D
The reason you won't is because you use legs to move forward, while the plane doesn't. If you had a jet engine strapped to your shoulders, you would be able to take off theoretically. That is, assuming you can move your legs fast enough (or have wheels for legs) and not get pulled into the jet engine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.