• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Pinsk Marshes-B1

Alright, I will look into redoing those materials. I suppose when you say some of the foliage you mean the Demyansk Pines? Any other foliage giving trouble? If you post a screenshot of any foliage errors that would help a huge amount. Also, while the bots certainly scamper off you will probably still find that after the third objective the Russians fall into a deep group malaise, while the germans have a tendency avoid the caps entirely.

Also, If I've created a copy of everything in the demyansk pines package and rereferenced the static mesh materials to the materials copies I've made, is that enough? Or do I have to rereference everything that makes up each material and material instance piece by piece to replace everything touched by RS. And finally, does the RS asset thing only apply to packages saved in other maps, or anything at all that normally loads when you load all packages that's got RS in the name?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, is there some way that I could test the server side play on my own without having a server...

I have a second rig that runs a RO2/RS dedicated server on my home network. Doesn't require a lot of horsepower to host only one player, and no graphic card needed.

Trick is to start the server, then open RO2 on my gaming rig. Steam will shift over to the gaming rig. I ignore the messages on the server rig and the server will stay online for testing purposes as a LAN game.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, I downloaded the map and played it both in game and in the editor. Here are the results:
I got super low frames ~15-20 in game, I don't have a monster machine but typically get 45+ even on more demanding maps. I think the culprit is the dense trees. When I look up at the sky I spike to 50+ frames. I can see thick clumps of trees well in the distance and it seems to affect the FPS.

As far as the missing materials, I found them in this dead bush mesh:
Spoiler!

When i play in the editor it shows this as the culprit:

Spoiler!

It looks like this may have been added as a foliage layer and it has a very high sway factor as it whips back and forth, which I suspect may also be killing the FPS. Im sure Twrecks could give you much better advice for optimizing the map, but thought I would at least point out the trouble spots. The map is agreat idea and otherwise looks very good. I'm sure it will be popular once it is tweaked.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Interesting, I will try lowering the cull distance on everything, as well as seeing if I can replace the material on those Bushes, and maybe make the wind either non-existent or very negligible.

Those bushes are part of an upper foliage volume that is set for areas above a certain height, and from the look of it the other small plant static mesh inside that foliage volume is also giving trouble, so it may be that the tiling is related to how I set up the foliage volume. Luckily, from your pictures it seems as though the other foliage volumes are working fine.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I will try lowering the cull distance on everything, as well as seeing if I can replace the material on those Bushes, and maybe make the wind either non-existent or very negligible.

Those bushes are part of an upper foliage volume that is set for areas above a certain height, and from the look of it the other small plant static mesh inside that foliage volume is also giving trouble, so it may be that the tiling is related to how I set up the foliage volume. Luckily, from your pictures it seems as though the other foliage volumes are working fine.

Yes, the only missing materials were those bushes from what I saw.

Upvote 0
So I've now isolated the problem although I haven't been able to get a server running because steamcmd doesn't like my comp, but apparently the bad mesh materials on the bushes are causing all the lagginess, as I only experienced the terrible fps you spoke of when I was able to replicate the foliage tiling.

The trouble is I don't have another static mesh that would be a good replacement for that one and whenever I try to edit the bush's materials to non RS copies I've made the changes just disappear as soon as I close mesh editor window. Is there some way you save these changes properly that I'm missing?

Upvote 0
So I've now isolated the problem although I haven't been able to get a server running because steamcmd doesn't like my comp, but apparently the bad mesh materials on the bushes are causing all the lagginess, as I only experienced the terrible fps you spoke of when I was able to replicate the foliage tiling.

The trouble is I don't have another static mesh that would be a good replacement for that one and whenever I try to edit the bush's materials to non RS copies I've made the changes just disappear as soon as I close mesh editor window. Is there some way you save these changes properly that I'm missing?

Did you make a copy of the static mesh and save it in your package?
Then create a new material instance constant and save it to your package.
Assign this MIC to the copied mesh and then place it in your map.
Save the map.

Upvote 0
I made a copy of the static mesh, the MIC, and the material, as well as two textures, but it won't allow me to reassign each one in its proper place. For example when I click to assign the MIC to the static mesh copy in my map package, it changes but it doesn't stay when I close the window. If I try to assign the two copied textures to the copied MIC in my package, nothing happens at all. (edit) Actually I got the two textures to be assigned to the new MIC, but still no luck changing anything in the static mesh copy. (edit (edit)) I've determined that the trouble with the mesh is that I need to create new LODs, that for whatever evil reason you can't edit them once they've been made you have to make new ones to make any changes, but without access to the original files that the bush came from I cant make new LODs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made a copy of the static mesh, the MIC, and the material, as well as two textures, but it won't allow me to reassign each one in its proper place. For example when I click to assign the MIC to the static mesh copy in my map package, it changes but it doesn't stay when I close the window. If I try to assign the two copied textures to the copied MIC in my package, nothing happens at all. (edit) Actually I got the two textures to be assigned to the new MIC, but still no luck changing anything in the static mesh copy. (edit (edit)) I've determined that the trouble with the mesh is that I need to create new LODs, that for whatever evil reason you can't edit them once they've been made you have to make new ones to make any changes, but without access to the original files that the bush came from I cant make new LODs.

Try to drag the MIC onto the mesh from the content browser.

I don't think you can add textures to MICs, they have to be added to the paent material that that MIC is based on.

Upvote 0