• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pinging system?

Coffee009

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2012
Ohio
I'm not going to lie, it's probably one of my favorite features of Apex Legends. It's such a convenient and nice feature that allows for nonverbal and quick communication. I booted up a game of KF2 with a few my friends, and honestly I kind of wished I had it. It would be so much easier to mark a location rather than running to it or describing it.

it'd be cool if players could call out Zed's like something similar to Payday, or dropped weapons so when players freshly spawn they can easily find them again, or mark ammo, gun drops or where the team should camp. I feel like all the characters already have voice clips for everything, so why not? Maybe only certain perks like commando and survivalist can actually highlight enemies, while all the other perks mark a biohazard sign where they're looking.

Pinging would be more efficient than typing in chat, I know it would help a lot with players who don't have mics or don't speak the same language as a majority of the server.

Reactions: Aze
L4D had pinging system 11 years ago and no one bats an eye.
Apex brings it back and suddenly everyone wants it added to the every fps possible.

That said: i like the payday 2 variant where you can ping the buldozer or whatever, you vocally announce it and it gets a red outline that is visible through walls.
But that imo takes out from the aestethic experience of the kf2.

It's already bad enough that we got introduced to the boss health bar, that completely ruined the tension when fighting it, and the whole mental aproach to the wave.
Everyone just shoots at the boss, see bar change, take defense and then repeat.
There's no more guessing game, no more watching back to see if minions are coming in or not.
Yes you can disable it, but why? Huge tactical information that disabled just puts you alone into disadvantage while others still have it runing.

And pinging would just make life even more easy, if you know what i mean.
Where you just don't even need to bother checking your back every once in a while if something bigger is coming.. You'll just be surrounded by that false feeling of security, where you think that another player is watching your back and will ping if something big is coming.

That mental state might not affect us veterans, but it will affect new players in a negative way imo.

So my vote is no.
I will also extend to vote for removing the boss health bar entirely and bring that boss fight tension back from 2015.

Upvote 0
I think the best example of a pinging system would be from Vermintide 2, in that special units and items/chests can be pinged, but not common spawns, and pinged objects expire after some time. (Vermintide 2's Witch Hunter also has an interesting perk wherein pinged enemies receive extra damage, which opens the way for some SWAT/Commando buffs or changes if pinging is implemented in KF2)

While KF2 relies on auto-callouts or voice chats for a while, it is clear that it is not too accommodating to certain subsets of players, and I can sympathize with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
TheAphabet;n2332668 said:
I think the best example of a pinging system would be from Vermintide 2, in that special units and items/chests can be pinged, but not common spawns, and pinged objects expire after some time. (Vermintide 2's Witch Hunter also has an interesting perk wherein pinged enemies receive extra damage, which opens the way for some SWAT/Commando buffs or changes if pinging is implemented in KF2)

While KF2 relies on auto-callouts or voice chats for a while, it is clear that it is not too accommodating to certain subsets of players, and I can sympathize with that.

SWAT dealing with pinging (like increased target damage or such) sounds like a brilliant idea, as it's incredibly fitting.

Commando doesn't need more buffs though (only thing I'd suggest, if ANYTHING, is that a pinged invisible unit is revealed for a longer time, even without relying on the Commando's decloaking aura)

Upvote 0
Aze;n2332793 said:
Commando doesn't need more buffs though (only thing I'd suggest, if ANYTHING, is that a pinged invisible unit is revealed for a longer time, even without relying on the Commando's decloaking aura)

Agreed. I was thinking something like Commando being able to ping say up to 5 enemies/objects at a time (+1 per 5 levels from level 10 to 25) as opposed to 1. And of course, Commandos would be the only Perk that can ping invisible units.

Last edited:
Upvote 0