• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Picking up grenades

I hate automatic kicking!!!!!!!

I hate bf2 cause I always get kicked cause of the stupid TK system where after you throw a nade your team mates go fetch it for you like the sogs they are then punish you for the tk!!!!!

Picking up nades what ever considering nades in RO are sooo explooody and you can time them Id never pick a nade up...

This better not be todo with DODs nade pickup thingy thats just lol

Upvote 0
RO isn't BF2, it isn't DoD, and it isn't CoD (1 or 2) either...

Put in the throw option. Please.

The idiots may choose to run to a nade & try a throw, but they'll learn not to.
The experienced players may choose to avoid grenades or throw only if it lands on them.

BUT, at least the choice will be there. Right now you have little or no choice. If you're in a room when a grenade is popped through the exit, you're buggered - by grenade, by bullet, by bayonet, you're just buggered. If you could throw the grenade back - even IF you may die - you'd try it - just to save yourself.
That's IF it was implented in the game. So I sure as hell hope it is.

Upvote 0
Kicking: No. Good reasons have already been provided.
Picking up: Yes.
A bit of randomness in the fuse: Yes.

Some people are afraid that picking up grenades would be exploited, that when people see enemy grenades, they run straight for them to throw them back. Now, someone might try to do this, of course, but given that there is randomness in the fuse and you can't know how much it's been cooked, it would be just plain stupid. They would end up killing themselves for most of the time and, if they had any intelligence, they probably would stop using this tactic quite soon.

After that, it would, at least for most of the time, be used only in emergency situations like it's supposed to.

Upvote 0
Our armed forces teaches us to RUN AWAY or HIT THE DECK when a grenade lands nearby. Because if you picked it up, it'd probably blow up the very moment you're trying to throw it back.

What I would like to see is grenades modeled more realisticly. IRL grenades explode up and out, so diving to the ground might save your life even if you haven't got an object in between. The closer to the ground, the less shrapnel there will be. If you're within the radius it wouldn't save you from being hit, but it would minimise the number of shrapnels that hit you, and therefore, maximise your chance of surviving.

It doesn't seem to be like that in RO, I think we just got a plain old kill radius on the grenades.

Upvote 0
Yes i think the angle of fragment trajectory is too shallow atm, so diving to prone normally means jack!!

It would be nice to survive sometimes :rolleyes:

ALso I think the reason why people think they could have had time to throw/kick a nade back, is because time seems to psychologically stand still. While they sit & stare at it, it makes the nade seem longer to go off?

Upvote 0
Yes. Forgot to say that when prone you naturally also minimise the exposure, so again you have less shrapnel hitting you. Being within the so called "kill radius" of a grenade therefore doesn't mean certain death, especially when prone, though you might get killed even when further away outside the "kill radius", especially if standing.

There are many ways of simulating this. First and the best would be to actually model a load of shrapnels for each explosion and then radically shrink the kill radius to like a half or a quarter of what it is now. The problem with this is that it would require a lot of CPU resources and a little bandwith aswell (it could be coded so that the shrapnel hit locations aren't sent to the clients except for those shrapnels that hit a guy, the visual shrapnel effects could be client-sided).

The second way is by creating various different zones depending on how far the grenade is.

Eg. 0-1 meter radius: certain death.
1-1.5m radius: 75% chance of death, 15% chance of serious injury, 10% chance of moderate injury
1.5m - 2m: 50% chanche of death, 30% chance of serious injury, 10& chance of moderate injury, 10% chance minor or no injury
2 - 2.5m: 25% chance of death

etc etc.
In addition it could somehow check how exposed you are and give that some weight in the randomization.

It could also be done by a mix: have the radius thing, and a small number of shrapnels (so small that your average server can easily handle it).

Upvote 0
Thx. It can't be based solely on the stance, though, because sometimes if you stand behind a sandbag fortification, less of you is actually exposed than if you were prone without cover. That makes the calculations more complex, as there needs to be a checker as to how much of you is exposed, taking into account your stance. Other than that, of course you're right.

Upvote 0
Well i would like it for the sitautions when i'm prone somewhere and a Nade lands directly in front of my FACE, i'm come on this is the point where you could bat it aside with your arm. You will have to take some time to throw it but its better than "omg i'll die, and can't do that", it would become "omg if i don't get that nade away FAST, i'll die".

And no running into Cover is usually not working, that takes even longer, if the Grenade is correctly cooked you'll be dead anyway... but at least you could positivly act (try to throw it away), instead of acting negativly (running away)

Upvote 0
Centar said:
Thx. It can't be based solely on the stance, though, because sometimes if you stand behind a sandbag fortification, less of you is actually exposed than if you were prone without cover. That makes the calculations more complex, as there needs to be a checker as to how much of you is exposed, taking into account your stance. Other than that, of course you're right.

Yer of course - I'm not exluded your calculations which were great, just adding that stance should be factored in, especially since you mentioned stance in your post earlier.

@Witzig - totally agree, thats a good scenario that no one has put forward yet.

Upvote 0