• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Picking up grenades

Yeah, that reminds me about dud grenades, if the thrower has cooked it and is assuming it will explode, and it gets thrown right back at him (assuming it is a short distance) it would be really funny to have him throw it back again, I wonder how long this would go on before they realized it was a dud...

Upvote 0
Picking up live nades is definately not in ROOST.

Devs say it's because it's a bad bad idea to pick up a live grenade, and this would encourage people to run towards grenades instead of away from them.

Personally, if a nade lands next to me, much closer then my exit, and I know I can't get away in time, I would rather be able to grab and toss the nade away from me.

Secondly, there have been times when I'm in a room when a nade gets tossed in the door, and that door is the only feasable escape route for me. Now, I know there's enemy behind the door, since they just tossed a nade in. Why I run out that way into them? In that case, I'd take my chances that I can toss their nade back at them.

So, I'm still hoping it'll get into a later release. Say if I get blown up 80% of the time, that's still better than running into a group of them out the door and getting killed 100% of the time.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Picking up live nades is definately not in ROOST.

Devs say it's because it's a bad bad idea to pick up a live grenade, and this would encourage people to run towards grenades instead of away from them.

Personally, if a nade lands next to me, much closer then my exit, and I know I can't get away in time, I would rather be able to grab and toss the nade away from me.

Secondly, there have been times when I'm in a room when a nade gets tossed in the door, and that door is the only feasable escape route for me. Now, I know there's enemy behind the door, since they just tossed a nade in. Why I run out that way into them? In that case, I'd take my chances that I can toss their nade back at them.

So, I'm still hoping it'll get into a later release. Say if I get blown up 80% of the time, that's still better than running into a group of them out the door and getting killed 100% of the time.

Hmmm, maybe if the devs coded the game so that you could only pick n' toss a nade back if you were inside a building. This could be a good idea. Or, otherwise, if you were within 1 metre of the nade, ie you could pick it up without having to walk towards it.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this was already posted-- six pages and I'm LAZY....

but, in DoDS I have tried to pick up the grenade but I somehow just tossed it, without ever ACTUALLY holding it..... that might be useful, kind of like the "kick" idea earlier in this thread....

Not that it matters, but I like the idea, even if no one uses it often... and the "random fuses" is also an awesome idea, it makes "pros" slightly less good at the game, making the game slightly more realistic, because I don't think that in any war on such grand of scale there were many "pro" soldiers. They most likely just relied on luck and quick reflexes (the toss/kick/whatever grenade idea).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
I'll tell ya what, if you can find the nade, you can pick it up :D. Have fun!

yeah there is that as well, but if i watch it come in through a window, or door, or around a corner, or over a trench i'm going to know where it is and those are the likely times that i'll be wanting to pick it up. otherwise it's my own dumb luck that i wandered across the nade :p

Upvote 0
*Smiles* I remember America's Army's bridge assault map, there is an arc rightin the middle of the bridge. I was lying up there with my two teammates when out of nowhere a little black death landed _right in front of my face_. It wasn't cooked, i had like one or one and a half secs to type "crap" in chat and then get balsted into small pieces. Man, i was really angry, that i couldn't do anything in this situation. If i'd only had an option to throw it back... :)

Upvote 0
Kicking: No, automatic or not.

Automatic kicking would be terrible, just think of all the times you could kill a bunch of teammates by running towards them and accidently contacting a live nade. How much would it suck to be running towards friendlies in a trench to help them cap an objective only to blow them all to pieces when a grenade lands right in front of you while you are running?

Also, kicking in general is pretty unrealistic. For the F1: Try kicking something small and dense like a baseball. How far and even semi-accurately do you think you could manage to get it to fly? M-24: Do you really think you could kick an irregularly shaped and balanced object in such a way that it would actually travel very far?

Throwing: Depends.

I don't like this one too much either. While I can see a few valid situations where it would be a welcome feature (landing almost on top of you or at your feet, as the other have said), but otherwise useless and possibly unbalancing. You need to remember, no matter what, if a player finds a feature he can exploit to his own advantage (not necessarily in the cheating sense) he will use it at every possible instance. Also, you need to take into account the fact that even though RO has relatively long re-spawn times (compared to other games) the average player has little care about dying, and probably values getting that extra kill over dying one more time in 80-90% of the times he has to make the choice. If you decided to implement it, you would have to shape it so that the player has the option to save his ass in the event that he will probably die anyway, but discourages gambling unnecessarily with his life. It could be implemented well if you could somehow limit its use by basically saying "you can't pick up a grenade if you have to take more than 2 steps to get to it" but I don't see how you could put this restriction ingame realistically. (I can already hear myself thinking: "Dammit, why can I pick up the grenade that's .5 seconds away from exploding that lands in my face while I can't pick up the unprimed grenade that lands 4 feet away?!")

Like many of the other controversial suggestions that have been posed I'll say (and it's almost clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BobdogG5 said:
Kicking: No, automatic or not.

Automatic kicking would be terrible, just think of all the times you could kill a bunch of teammates by running towards them and accidently contacting a live nade. How much would it suck to be running towards friendlies in a trench to help them cap an objective only to blow them all to pieces when a grenade lands right in front of you while you are running?

Also, kicking in general is pretty unrealistic. For the F1: Try kicking something small and dense like a baseball. How far and even semi-accurately do you think you could manage to get it to fly? M-24: Do you really think you could kick an irregularly shaped and balanced object in such a way that it would actually travel very far?

Throwing: Depends.

I don't like this one too much either. While I can see a few valid situations where it would be a welcome feature (landing almost on top of you or at your feet, as the other have said), but otherwise useless and possibly unbalancing. You need to remember, no matter what, if a player finds a feature he can exploit to his own advantage (not necessarily in the cheating sense) he will use it at every possible instance. Also, you need to take into account the fact that even though RO has relatively long re-spawn times (compared to other games) the average player has little care about dying, and probably values getting that extra kill over dying one more time in 80-90% of the times he has to make the choice. If you decided to implement it, you would have to shape it so that the player has the option to save his ass in the event that he will probably die anyway, but discourages gambling unnecessarily with his life. It could be implemented well if you could somehow limit its use by basically saying "you can't pick up a grenade if you have to take more than 2 steps to get to it" but I don't see how you could put this restriction ingame realistically. (I can already hear myself thinking: "Dammit, why can i pick up the grenade that's .5 seconds away from exploding that lands in my face while I can't pick up the unprimed grenade that lands 4 feet away?!")

Like many of the other controversial suggestions that have been posed I'll say (and it's almost clich

Upvote 0
Well, like I said, there are a few instances where I would like to have it as a feature. I'm just saying you shouldn't be able to use it in all circumstances. We need to confine the player's actions to what would be realistic during war, rather than what he might be able to do IRL. Like you said about bayonets, it's not useful most of the time, but once in a while it's a good think to have. You could also probably try to throw a rifle with a bayonet on the end of it like a spear and actually kill someone in real life, but that would be a horrendously stupid thing to put ingame, as that would not be contributing to the WW2 eastern front experience. Even though it is "realistic" in that it is doable in real life, since no real soldier in their right mind would do it, it should never make it ingame. I want to stop the game from ever giving the player a situation that would direct the player to do something that a real soldier would never even think of doing, such as running towards a live grenade in the hope that he can throw it elsewhere. I want it to be made so that unless the grenade lands so close to the player that he could pick it up and throw it without really having to move his body, his best choice is to run (or dive) for cover.

About possible exploits, I really can't think of one, and I don't think anyone really could until actually playing the game with this feature in. It's not really the ability to throw grenades back that I think people would exploit, but the way in which it is implemented ingame. Kind of like how now if you prime a grenade and are holding it, and it gets shot out of your hand, it magically resets itself instead of exploding at your feet, since you never "threw" it, according to the game. The player isn't really "exploiting" the shot-out-of-hand feature, but it is causing something unrealistic to happen ingame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well said MoFo. Basically A) nade lands by you and you pick n' throw or B) nade lands far away from you and you run towards it to pick n' throw.

I think there is no issue with A, but it is B where people believe there could be possible exploits or otherwise usage that diminishes gameplay.

So with B you have 3 possibilities 1)run, pick n throw, die - that will teach you for running towards it, however its unrealistic -BAD 2)run, pick n throw, survive - nade explodes either in air or away from troops -NEUTRAL no problem 3)run, pick n throw i)enemy(s) die -BAD ii)teammate(s) die -BAD. I won't seperate these because both are bad. Why is it bad that the enemy dies you say? Because it was fake that you ran towards a granade. Its obvious why its bad if teammates die.

Conclusion: My conclusion changed as I wrote this from thinking the feature should be in the game, to thinking the feature could be in ONLY as long as the nade landed within a certain radius of you. Radius could be figured out later but I would say 1.5 metres, which is 5 feet.

Upvote 0