• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code PhysicsType

otester

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006
Currently got quite far with the PanzerShreck, when it runs out of propellant it does what a PanzerFaust does and basically dips down straigh away.

Panzershreck kinda glides downwards after running out for while.

How can I change the physics or make it do this?

I thought I helped you eliminate this ? Panzershreck burns out of propellant about 2m after leaving the tube, so it would fall really quick if it worked this way ;-). Just throw out the Physics_Falling and use Physics_Projectile all the way. Or just send me your PS code (code only, I don't need graphic stuff), and I will send you back version based on my Panzerfaust version which works quite well with Physics-Projectile all the way. In fact lately I completly dropped the rocket base as I don't need it (it's not a rocket really, but rather recoiles weapon) and based it on HE shell code. Works even better.

Here is something very nice I have found yesterday - ballistic data of Panzerschreck rocket !!

Ballistic data of Panssarikauhu (105 meters/sec):

Distance
Elevation
flight time

58 meters
1,5 degrees
0,5 sec

78 meters
2,0 degrees
0,7 sec

97 meters
2,5 degrees
0,9 sec

118 meters
3,0 degrees
1,1 sec

135 meters
3,5 degrees
1,3 sec

(Source: Finnish test report, Ballistinen toimisto "K.D. N:eek: 100/sal".)

Practical range against moving tanks was determined to be about 100m.

From this one can estimate, than speed at 135m would be about 98-100m/s. Max ballistic range, at 45deg launch angle, would be about 900m.

Using this data and making some tests, you can determine what ballistic coefficient you need in RO to get as realiistic performance as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played a bit, because I was curious if real ballistics data will work in RO without corrections.

You remember the data. 105m/s projectile, flying at a range of 135m at 3.5deg superelevation. I estimated the speed at 135m 98-100m/s.

So I took my panzerfaust, set it to 105m/s, set a sight to 2.0deg and 3.5deg elevations (for 80m and 135m) and tried few ballistic coefficients. Those in range of 0.3-0.35 works good.

And with ballistic coefficient of 0.3 I got terminal speed of 98m/s at 135m, and the real-life 3.5 degree sight setting... worked with a pin-point accuracy. It hits a house window at 135m - without any sight tweaking, just taking real world value. The max ballistic range (measuread at Arad which has a high ceiling) when fired at 45deg is about 800m. Either the RO ballistic physics are not perfect, or more likely my crude ballistic spreadsheet is not perfect for such projectiles (I estimated 900m).

But up to 200m everything works ideally and even sight settings from real life works ideally (at 80m seting it was hitting tanks too, though I didn't oberve how precisely).

This is advantage of modeling things as they work in real life, instead of creating some artificial rules (fly ideally straight for some time, then begin to fall like a basketball) for them. You set other real life parameters, and it still works as it should. And it's even not hard to do. IMO it's easier and faster to model reality in most cases, than create artificial game models which have to be tuned and tweaked then... and again for each change of parameters...

If there are ballistic trajectories handled by the game, build in (physics projectile) - why not use them ?

Upvote 0