• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Photos of real locations

Pavlov's house (the little white building, surrounded by some other appartments) with the Mill 80-90 meters to the east from Pavlov's and 120 meters to the west from the Volga.
Very desperate position. No wonder Pavlov and his men tried (and succeeded) to keep it.

Mill:
2108612321178029156.jpeg

Pavlov.jpg

How close are some of the locations? Well...

Stalingradlandmarks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Defekt
Upvote 0
The link in this topic to another talking about of grain elevator (with a video) there to a gamer site that show comparasion between map and real buliding. Incredible!!!!
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/11/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad-preview/2/

I think devs have much more real material for make the maps, here is when I miss some kind of "dev blog" or "dev" explanations about the historical background of the maps.

@Rrralphster Thanks explain it!

BTW Maybe this topic could be moved to "History" forum, I saw much more info like this there.

Last edited:
Reactions: rta
Upvote 0
Whoa!! I'm really sorry, everyone. The above garbage was me attempting to copy/paste a picture from one of the preceding posts. I'm not sure what happened, but I will not try that again. I've already reported the post asking for deletion.

Once again, you all have my apologies for that mess.

-EDIT- Many thanks to the forum mods for removing that monstrosity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Amazing thread. THIS is what a lot of people don't get when they complain about the maps. "They are too urban" or "where are the forest maps", etc. They don't realize these were built from real, historical battlefields in Stalingrad. It was urban warfare, that's just the way it was. And the scenes so nicely rendered..

Personally, I prefer larger maps with more terrain myself, but I understand they have recreated the Stalingrad environment and done a pretty amazing job with it.

Upvote 0
There are these interesting pics to show the scale of the city.
There are some mistakes in the places he have pointed out.
I'm convinced he picked the wrong building for the Univermag department store. It the building precisely beneath his orange
rightangle. The curved building at the long side of the park..

aerial-central.jpg

Industrial area

aerial-factory-district.jpg

Gumrak

aerial-gumrak.jpg

Mamaev Kurgan

aerial-mamayev.jpg

Link to the website. You will find a 15 mb PDF with lost of info.

Greets Drecks

Upvote 0
I think devs have much more real material for make the maps, here is when I miss some kind of "dev blog" or "dev" explanations about the historical background of the maps.

Actualy they where inside the grain elevator ..imo as some of the first "westebers" since ww2. Dont know where the thread went but there where rater excessive reports about that trip around these very forums dateing back to early 2010 or late 2009 i think. Maybeh a mod can dig them out..it was a highly intresting read. ;)

Upvote 0
Actualy they where inside the grain elevator ..imo as some of the first "westebers" since ww2. Dont know where the thread went but there where rater excessive reports about that trip around these very forums dateing back to early 2010 or late 2009 i think. Maybeh a mod can dig them out..it was a highly intresting read. ;)

The link to these post is in the page 1. The visit to the Grain elevator I meant. But as the level detail of some maps, they would have much more material from all locations of maps.
Also "dev blog" could be nice for watch how they work on weapons features, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0