• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mac Perks disappearing?

ThatPunk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 19, 2010
Hey everyone,

When I join games, my selected perk is put back to level zero and the perk selection screen won't open. Before I join any games, I can see the perks and achievements screen normally, but after I join one a box pops up with "An unknown steam error prevented this screen."

Any ideas about what could be going wrong?

Using any non-whitelisted mutator causes the perk system to be disabled, causing the error you have described.

That is true, however there is some bug that causes the perks to dissapear when you connect to a server.
Usually restarting KF and joining another server works, but its still a rather annoying problem.
Havent gotten any error msg though.

Upvote 0
I'm also getting this issue. When I start KF, I have no perks, and it almost seems like Steam(?) isn't getting my user data. For example, when I click on the button to see my achievements and perks from the main menu of the game, I get a pop-up saying unknown steam error has occurred.

A friend of mine is also having the same issue.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that this still occurs on a Mac Mini 320M running Lion 10.7.2. I am looking into this now and will hopefully get us some help on this issue.

For Windows, this issue would happen if you joined a server with any character other than the base 4. I believe that has been fixed for Windows, and it does not affect the issue with Macs.

[EDIT] I have found a solution for now, it is an issue reading downloaded mutators from out of ~/Library/Application Support/Killing Floor/Cache. This workaround was from a previous suggestion posted here - http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=579351&postcount=16 . Here is what you will need to do:

1. Make sure there is nothing in the folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Killing Floor/Cache, it should only be populated if you copied files from a Windows installation or similar. These fixes won't do anything if there are any files there.

2. Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Killing Floor/Cache

3. Open Cache.ini, take a note of the maps and mutators listed there (its the only way to figure out what the hash filenames correspond to)

4. Download any of these maps and mutators listed and place them into ~/Library/Application Support/Killing Floor/System instead.

5. Delete everything in ~/Library/Application Support/Killing Floor/Cache

6. Launch the game and join a server/go solo

Please note that this issue only seems to occur with some mutators (I believe INeedBodies is one) but I can't pinpoint it exactly so this is a catch-all if needed. Feel free to try using the cache for downloaded maps and mutators to see if there is any specific one that causes the error.

Hopefully we'll get a permanent fix for this sometime soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is still happening to me after many months. Very very annoying, as at LEAST 50% of servers do not have functional perks for me, and each time it doesn't I have to reset the game. Regarding the workaround from above:

1. I do not have a cache folder in this directory.

4. Am I expected to download the entire list of maps and mutators individually, of which there are at least 70+ in my .ini file?

5. I have done this before, the only thing that led to was me having to redownload all the custom maps I had before...

To clarify, this only started happening I believe sometime during the Abusement Park event - I used to play custom maps with mutators with absolutely no problem. Now, the majority of servers with custom maps leave me perkless, but everyone else on the server does, and it seems to only affect Mac users. This also happens to me on some servers WITHOUT custom maps. However, there are a few servers that I have favorited WITH custom maps that do not cause this issue at all. All in all, a very disappointing performance from Tripwire, something I have given up hope of them ever fixing. Although KF is one of my favorite games with over 600 hours played and 100% achievements earned, I will no longer be supporting this company through additional character pack purchases (as if it really matters if they are getting another 2 bucks, but at least it won't be my 2 bucks).

Upvote 0
This is still happening to me after many months. Very very annoying, as at LEAST 50% of servers do not have functional perks for me, and each time it doesn't I have to reset the game. Regarding the workaround from above:

1. I do not have a cache folder in this directory.

4. Am I expected to download the entire list of maps and mutators individually, of which there are at least 70+ in my .ini file?

5. I have done this before, the only thing that led to was me having to redownload all the custom maps I had before...

To clarify, this only started happening I believe sometime during the Abusement Park event - I used to play custom maps with mutators with absolutely no problem. Now, the majority of servers with custom maps leave me perkless, but everyone else on the server does, and it seems to only affect Mac users. This also happens to me on some servers WITHOUT custom maps. However, there are a few servers that I have favorited WITH custom maps that do not cause this issue at all. All in all, a very disappointing performance from Tripwire, something I have given up hope of them ever fixing. Although KF is one of my favorite games with over 600 hours played and 100% achievements earned, I will no longer be supporting this company through additional character pack purchases (as if it really matters if they are getting another 2 bucks, but at least it won't be my 2 bucks).
What you are describing is that you are joining servers with a mutator called ServerPerks. Basically it's like having a complete perk reset and the perks you earn on that server STAY on that server. Only way to gain your perks back after disconnecting is to restart your KF as it has a bug of stopping the connection of regaining your perks back once disconnected.

Don't blame TWI for something they have nothing to do with.

Upvote 0
No, perk progress is completely disabled when I have no perks. I have already tried leveling Sharpshooter from 0 to 1 on some servers, and of course it never works, but everyone else is running around with their level 6 perks. While I do not know if the fault lies on Tripwire, I do know that this topic is over a year old, and that devs do not give two ****s about fixing this problem, or many other bugs that make this game unplayable (i.e. spawn in third person/move like a snail/reload and firing glitches), that have plagued this game for a very, very long time. The only thing they are doing is trying to keep the game alive through their events which more often than not causes more problems than fixes. When was the last time a patch went through that actually fixed bugs with the game and wasn't just rectifying a problem they caused with their own update? But here, have some more character packs.

Upvote 0
So the issue appears to be with either the Cache system or the white/greylist not being in the Mac versions. I know the .u's have to be added to somewhere in KF (presumably the executable) for them to pass STEAMSTATS's security check.

PoC of the error from a friend using the IJC WeaponPack:

Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../Cache/F90E459B40F576802D4DBB8E8871893F-1.uxx
Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../Cache/08605BD44F02DCBC6ABFCB8B9756C105-1.uxx
Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../Cache/51B2C7BD4A93D10759745B87EB045704-1.uxx

F90E459B40F576802D4DBB8E8871893F-1=IJCWeaponPack-BDRifle-WhiteV27.u
08605BD44F02DCBC6ABFCB8B9756C105-1=IJCWeaponPack-WhiteV27.u
51B2C7BD4A93D10759745B87EB045704-1=BDHuntingRifleFinalPlus.u

Fixed by directly placing said .u's in the System folder.

Upvote 0
The LONG and PAINFUL solution is, go and find the mutators from the server, download them and then you have to go through the files, and put the appropriate files into the appropriate files in your killing floor library. (If your using 10.7 or later do shift+command+g and look up library and search from there.)

Once you have all the files downloaded via mutators, and some maps ( like trooper defence) you should be able to play servers with mutators with out having to use the view>servers back door approach. This said, if you put the wrong files into the incorrect killing floor files, the game won't even start any more.

Upvote 0
What you are describing is that you are joining servers with a mutator called ServerPerks. Basically it's like having a complete perk reset and the perks you earn on that server STAY on that server. Only way to gain your perks back after disconnecting is to restart your KF as it has a bug of stopping the connection of regaining your perks back once disconnected.

Don't blame TWI for something they have nothing to do with.

While I am sure everyone appreciates you trying to help, your assertion is incorrect. Please read my explanation and workaround solution given above. Please note that I have tested this with my own servers that ONLY had AntiBlocker installed and I can confirm this issue several times over.

Upvote 0
While I am sure everyone appreciates you trying to help, your assertion is incorrect. Please read my explanation and workaround solution given above. Please note that I have tested this with my own servers that ONLY had AntiBlocker installed and I can confirm this issue several times over.
If this is including your server too then check your server log and see if any .u files are mentioned.

Upvote 0
Same old story, new twist.

Same old story, new twist.

Interesting manifestation of the perk reset bug, just now...

I started a solo game, and had my perks appear at zero. The explanation that it's a non-whitelisted server seems more than a little unlikely, when all I have is a vanilla KF installation, I had only just launched the game, and the map I was playing was 'Mountain Pass'.

What's blacklisted about that?

So, we still have this bug, and we're no closer to getting it fixed.

Upvote 0
Still bloody not working

Still bloody not working

Seriously, this is so f***ing annoying. Paid money for game, game should work, period.

I spend a considerable amount of time trying to find a f***ing server that will load my perks...

Apologies for the expletives, but if you in my position and trying to play a game, then you might feel the same.

***********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Same problem here, but restarting does not work. I must restart PC to see the perks going their true level. And when this bug starts, I cannot open the perks/achievement screen in the main menu: when I click on the selection, nothing happens. The curious thing is that this nuisance began after a few matches on suicidal... Bah.

Upvote 0
The LONG and PAINFUL solution is, go and find the mutators from the server, download them and then you have to go through the files, and put the appropriate files into the appropriate files in your killing floor library. (If your using 10.7 or later do shift+command+g and look up library and search from there.)

Once you have all the files downloaded via mutators, and some maps ( like trooper defence) you should be able to play servers with mutators with out having to use the view>servers back door approach. This said, if you put the wrong files into the incorrect killing floor files, the game won't even start any more.
Yeah, this is what I had to do. I went and downloaded AntiBlock, IJC, etc., along with a few of the custom maps and placed them in the proper system folders. I can now join custom servers with no issue. I think the real problem here is the mutators, not the maps. I was forced to download a custom map from a modded server but was able to keep my perks without issue. So custom maps in the Cache folder are not the issue (for me at least), just mutators and custom weapons.

It seems like if you are willing to take the time to manually install the weapon packs and mutators, you should be good to go. Don't forget to clear the Cache folder before trying to run KF.

Upvote 0