• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Peripheral Vision and Soldiers Speaking

I find the peripheral vision indicators to be totally cheap. Not only do they only show enemies, they also work at very long ranges. 90% of the time I end up using them to see enemies I would have never seen, across the map or hiding behind cover. I really do feel like I'm cheating when I use them. Yet another broken feature.

Upvote 0
This edge marker is:

- ugly
- show enemys only
- show you a grey dot for every enemy beside you

but it:

- have to show comrades, too
- have to show trees and papers blowing in the wind (because they are moving, too)
- have to show you only one signal for every movement beside you, not one grey dot for every single movment (enemy).

or:

- remove it

And

a much better soundsystem would be much better to locate enemys behind or beside you than this stupid edge marker. Than you are able to hear enemy footsteps beside you. Now they all wearing ninja boots and can kill you easily from behind with their deadly bayonets.

Further more, the threshold of when a target produces a blip should be influenced by:
- is the target in normal' field of view (but does not get displayed due to lower monitor FOV) or is he in true peripheral vision zone.
- is the target stationary, walking, running or sprinting
- is the target prone, crouching, standing or in cover
- is vision blocked by smoke

Upvote 0
IRL you would be constantly glancing side to side, maybe even behind you, without having to change the facing of your weapon. FPSs put you in blinkers and a straightjacket so that if you look to the side, you're not guarding your front. Until headtracking (as in ArmA and flight sims) is standard, this is a pretty good compromise, to my mind

Upvote 0
IRL you would be constantly glancing side to side, maybe even behind you, without having to change the facing of your weapon. FPSs put you in blinkers and a straightjacket so that if you look to the side, you're not guarding your front. Until headtracking (as in ArmA and flight sims) is standard, this is a pretty good compromise, to my mind

Sure, you should play with your head on a swivel, but the current system is much more than a "good compromise". It will display enemies that you wouldn't see even if you were looking right at them, does not distinguish between FoF, and so on. I've used the indicators to spot and kill enemies through smoke, and they rightfully accused me of cheating. While not technically cheating, to be able to do so is absurd.

A better compromise would be to tweak the current system, and implement a free-look system similar to Arma's. Beyond that, simulating peripheral vision and using your neck are two completely different things, and having overpowered peripheral vision shouldn't make up for the lack of free-look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0