• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

People please!

Ossius

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Listen to the person on the VOIP, they tend to know what is going on and will not do you wrong if you listen to their advice. They will get you more kills and experience if that is the only thing you are playing for. YOU WILL get more experience by capping points then killing people, and you will get more kills if you are in the action.

Me and another guy are in the game and this is basically what we're doing.

"Get in the cap, lockdown in 2 mins if we hold it we win."
One person moves into capzone.
"GET IN CAP 1:00 and we win, just hold them off."
Still only two/three people in cap.

Another situation:

"Squad leaders mark artillery targets"
Wait 2-3 minutes while calling recon planes in for someone to mark a target
"SQUAD LEADERS MARK ARTILLERY TARGETS, I CAN'T FIRE WITHOUT THEM."
Another minute, as it is red October map, every minute without a artillery barrage is a major waste.
"SQUAD LEADERS BRING OUT YOUR BINOCULARS, PRESS F, RIGHT CLICK, I NEED MARKS"

Another situation I was ordering SLs to do different things and telling people to mark arty and I looked at role screen and no one was SL. People literally aren't picking SL on a full map, even though he gets to be a mobile spawn, gets advanced weapons, and smoke grenades, why aren't people picking this role?

I've gotten a crap ton of experience calling in artillery, getting a 3.00ish KD and having a blast, yet Commander always seems empty or not doing anything.

Does this get better? Was it like this in the early RO1 days?

You get the idea, you talk over VOIP and it is just noise, once in a CD match I told people the enemies were on the roof of a building and they just kept running into their kill zones. No one is giving a crap about anything anyone says.

It was like that in early beta, and it smoothed out considerable by late beta. With the influx of first-time players, I expect to see similar problems and smoothing.

I do agree with you, though. People need to coordinate. The VOIP speakers need to be more specific sometimes, though. i.e. "open your map and click to mark for artillery targets", because some people pick squad leader and don't know what to do.

Upvote 0
It was like that in early beta, and it smoothed out considerable by late beta. With the influx of first-time players, I expect to see similar problems and smoothing.

I do agree with you, though. People need to coordinate. The VOIP speakers need to be more specific sometimes, though. i.e. "open your map and click to mark for artillery targets", because some people pick squad leader and don't know what to do.

I can never hear them. They come in so extremely low most of the time that it's impossible to hear much. Every now and then I saw someone who I could understand.

Upvote 0
Helpful post. I had no idea how to call in arty/mortars today as commander until I remembered I had binocs. For new players like myself there is a lot that isn't explained for online multiplayer.
Having said that I'm getting up to speed and have even top scored a couple of times today on maps I've played a few times. This game is extremely fun despite the wonky launch. I can't wait until everyone knows the maps properly and some truly epic matches can commence.

edit: How do you go back down ladders? Died twice on Grain Elevator today trying to go down ladders and instead falling to my death. Also died a couple of times spawning into protected areas and receiving insta death, mighty frustrating that is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
edit: How do you go back down ladders? Died twice on Grain Elevator today trying to go down ladders and instead falling to my death. Also died a couple of times spawning into protected areas and receiving insta death, mighty frustrating that is.

W, I think. Do the first campaign tutorial. It covers it. Pretty sure you walk into it, don't try to back down it.

Upvote 0
Problem is, for every useful player on VOIP, there's a useless armchair general who insists on telling every other player what to do despite his own skill and awareness being severely lacking.

I would probably classify as that. Since I don't have the greatest computer I tend to get shot from very blurry objects on the distance, so working as a commander is great for me, I have RO1 experience, and experience with the Beta so I can tell people what is best on what map and how to do things, problem is no one is listening. I'm not bossing them around and telling them what grid to go to, but asking for Artillery marks and people to get into the capture point isn't all that bad is it?

Also it isn't a mic problem, my brother heard me on his PC, on top of that the little radio ticker was bouncing when I talked so I was coming through.

Upvote 0
Listen to the person on the VOIP, they tend to know what is going on and will not do you wrong if you listen to their advice. They will get you more kills and experience if that is the only thing you are playing for. YOU WILL get more experience by capping points then killing people, and you will get more kills if you are in the action.

Me and another guy are in the game and this is basically what we're doing.

"Get in the cap, lockdown in 2 mins if we hold it we win."
One person moves into capzone.
"GET IN CAP 1:00 and we win, just hold them off."
Still only two/three people in cap.

Another situation:

"Squad leaders mark artillery targets"
Wait 2-3 minutes while calling recon planes in for someone to mark a target
"SQUAD LEADERS MARK ARTILLERY TARGETS, I CAN'T FIRE WITHOUT THEM."
Another minute, as it is red October map, every minute without a artillery barrage is a major waste.
"SQUAD LEADERS BRING OUT YOUR BINOCULARS, PRESS F, RIGHT CLICK, I NEED MARKS"

Another situation I was ordering SLs to do different things and telling people to mark arty and I looked at role screen and no one was SL. People literally aren't picking SL on a full map, even though he gets to be a mobile spawn, gets advanced weapons, and smoke grenades, why aren't people picking this role?

I've gotten a crap ton of experience calling in artillery, getting a 3.00ish KD and having a blast, yet Commander always seems empty or not doing anything.

Does this get better? Was it like this in the early RO1 days?

You get the idea, you talk over VOIP and it is just noise, once in a CD match I told people the enemies were on the roof of a building and they just kept running into their kill zones. No one is giving a crap about anything anyone says.

I couldn't agree with you more. I always try and take the SL or Commander role. I tell my team there's arty on the way to a certain point and sure as sh@t they go running in to it !!! Its so easy to become point leader on your team because no one is trying to cap objectives. They just want to turn it into a stale mate. I ask my sl's to mark targets and nothing!! I'm sure this will change when the Rambo style loving players find out how unsuccessful there are and thin out. I hope ! or better yet someone will tell you to shut up when your trying to create a simple plan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0