• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC PC in-game Voice Chat Investigation

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
We are investigating reports of remaining voice chat issues in game. Could you please provide us with the following:

• What exactly is the issue you are experiencing?
  • Screenshots of windows audio settings (input & output, control panel)
  • Screenshot of Steam audio settings
  • Screenshot of KF2 in-game audio settings
  • Attach dxdiag (launch dxdiag.exe and export)

Here's how Voice Chat Receive Volume Slider reacts for me in the game.
- Below 25% of the slider, i can't hear anyone using a mic
- At 50% the voice chat is now audible
- From 50% to about 65% the audio is more or less crisp and audible
- from 65% to 100% and it sounds like someone shoved the microphone into its mouth and began screaming into it, as if the voice input is just clipping hard.

Edit: in the new volume controls in steam, moving the input volume gain to the right, produces same results as i've demonstrated in the video

Attachments

• data.zip
    375.9 KB · Views: 2
  • steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 7
  • new steam.jpg
    new steam.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Kittenmittens
Upvote 0
The implementation of Vivox caused all players to sound like screeching ravens using a 200% mic boost. As of fall Beta 1 (and further) I can barely hear players. All voice receive sliders are set to 100%, KF2's in-game sfx was set to approx 30% in an attempt to hear these "whispering" players. This issue is exclusive to KF2.

Note regarding DxDiag: Realtek Digital Output and LEN Y27q-20 NVIDIA High Definition Audio are inactive. The only active audio device is a USB-connected Steinberg UR22mkII.

Attachments

• windows10_audio_settings.png
    windows10_audio_settings.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 5
  • kf2_steam_audio_settings.png
    kf2_steam_audio_settings.png
    954.2 KB · Views: 3
  • dxdiag_steinberg.zip
    16 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
I've never heard anyone use their mic in game. It can't be one guy having their mic set up wrong because I've had it happen many times now where someone speaks (voice chat name popup) but I can't hear any voice chat.

Attachments

• Control panel audio settings.jpg
    Control panel audio settings.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1
  • In game sound settings.jpg
    In game sound settings.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DxDiag.txt
    83 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
I have the same issues in Steam and Epic. The mic works in Windows and game settings, but not while in a match. Any solutions?
This has been a problem for me for a long while. I thought the problem might be from using an older head set, but I bought a Logitech G635 gaming headset recently and still have the same problem.
I would upload snapshots of my settings, but they wouldn't be adding anything to what is already obvious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Went to check my latest Launch.log and saw the following lines:

[0014.34] Log: FVoiceInterfaceVivox::SetVolume(3.000000)
[0014.34] Log: FVoiceInterfaceVivox::SetMicVolume(50.000000) rescaled to 47

What does 3.0 and 50.0 stand for? Team mates say that they can hear me well but I can barely hear them. My current settings are exactly the same as in my old post: https://forums.tripwireinteractive....oice-chat-investigation.2336388/#post-2344072 Every possible voice receive slider is set to 100% and other sounds are approx 30%.

Upvote 0
My friends and I always use Voice in game. Since the Vivox, we cannot. There was one time it worked and now it does not, changed all my sound settings, checked the server files, and my local files. Agree with the loudness, had to lower mic settings so we would not overdrive the one time it did work. Mic works with every game and also in discord but not in game. So far the "big" let's play with Epic has jacked up voip and the ability for admins to kick/ban trolls.....Good job Tripwire, made a GREAT game pretty much almost no fun to play at all, and I have thousands of hours playing it....So its not like I am a hater.

Upvote 0
Hello. My game has been having problems with receiving voice chat since I started playing. No matter what options I try I always get total silence when the pop up sign showing a teammate is using a mic appears. I have attached the requested screenshots, please let me know if any of them are incorrect.

Attachments

• Audio 1.png
    Audio 1.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Audio 2.png
    Audio 2.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Audio 3.png
    Audio 3.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Audio 4.jpg
    Audio 4.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DxDiag.txt
    137.3 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
p1kalmig2k292.jpg

Mic is loud and clear in every other program, but complaints of being whisper quiet in game. I play with friends and we have to use discord, as no one can hear each other - no matter what we set, everyone (including random players) is whisper quiet or never responds.

Upvote 0
Mic is loud and clear in every other program, but complaints of being whisper quiet in game. I play with friends and we have to use discord, as no one can hear each other - no matter what we set, everyone (including random players) is whisper quiet or never responds.
Remember to provide screenshots of Steam mic settings and KF2 in-game mic settings. Kittenmittens provided instructions in the first post.

Upvote 0