• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Gamer on Barrel Changes - and Heroes

I don't understand the seemingly seething hatred of this. The more you use a weapon in real life, the more proficient at using it you become. So long as they don't make it to where your ability with a weapon is "god-like", and just a minor increase in stats such as reloading time, aiming, etc., it's fine.

My question is, will TW be hosting servers on launch? I'm afraid the majority of servers will be full-on realism, I'd like to see a relaxed-realism server or two for people new to the game, so they don't get scared off.

I think you exaggerate a little.
I wouldn't be surprised to see mostly relaxed realism, as the 'hardcore' will be the majority playing full realism. Also, public servers are there for the public, so I think most of these will be relaxed anyway

Upvote 0
I'll wait to see how it works in the game before I start deciding way ahead of time that I will avoid ranked servers.

That said, I can understand the concerns with the ranking system. The essential argument is that real-life players naturally get more coordinated and proficient with weapons in games, without the game artificially boosting your abilities.

In RO1, those who logged many hours of time with bolt action rifles gradually became experts with them. This wasn't because the game gave their rifles less recoil or allowed them to reload faster, but because the players actually acquired a higher degree of skill with that weapon.

I'm still on the fence with this issue ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In RO1, those who logged many hours of time with bolt action rifles gradually became experts with them.

I too loved the slow, natural skill improvement I learned with RO, particularly with the bolt-action rifles. Like you, I see the merits of the argument for perks, and I'm sure I'll bounce around between the perk-enabled and perk-disabled servers.

Upvote 0
Yeah

Yeah

That AI bouncing around hurts my brain and eyes. With those distinct running animations it looks silly.

-Very silly indeed. Now, Im the seniour officer here and I warn this game not to get silly. Nobody likes a good laugh more than I do. Except for perhaps my wife, and some of her friends. Oh and the captain....*anyway*

I would like to see how that cover system works AND looks like when playing against human opponents. You know. Against those who dont volutarily give warning shots. And the bastards who try to shoot you in the elbow or kneecap even if its showing just a little bit. Aft. Forgot the bullet penetration. Anyway.

Upvote 0
I am not a RO2 expert. I love what this game is trying to do but I really cant feel this game and the reason is these really exaggerated completely unnatural animations. I am a professional animator for the last 18 years but I really dont think you have to be a pro to see that this is wrong. People cannot run with this animation carrying arms. The posing is unnatural and the pacing is too quick. What is the point of all these gauges showing your stamina and suppression when soldiers run like sprint runners on anabolics. I dont expect a BF3 quality animation but I really hope that they calm it down a bit.

Upvote 0
to be honest, i don't really like the running animations, either. it is hard to pin down, but it just looks wrong.

also, this guy going into "slow death"-mode - he is running, then gets hit critically and stops immediately to wiggle around sloooowly, then tips over as if a lightning bolt had hit him... each sequence may have looked ok on their own, but put in a row it just looked totally out of place.

i hope they will try and see if they can do it differently.

Upvote 0
Animations shmanimations! :p

As long as the hit detection is top notch, the ballistics system is as realistic as possible and the other main features of the game work great, I don't really care if the animations are not ultra realistic.

Besides, to me the running animations looked just fine. But I'm not an animator with 18 years of experience, so maybe that's why I can't see the huge mistakes that apparently are there.

Upvote 0
I know that the tanks are very early works in progress, but I would like to see the player have to drag a body out of it's previous place when a crewman dies. Jumping into the drivers seat and finding it completely spotless and ready for you after your crewman violently dies from a ricocheting round takes away from some of the immersion. I want to have to have to drag the body out and lay it out of the way somewhere, and then be able to move freely between the gunner and drivers seats.

If this is something that's planned but not yet executed then good, if not then I strongly suggest this to be implemented.

As far as the stats and weapon progression goes, I dislike it heavily. Like said earlier, weapon proficiency is already gained through actual in game experience with the weapon. It also increases the learning curve of the game to new players when faced with experienced ones, giving new players a disadvantage that they shouldn't have, and giving experienced players an advantage that they definitely shouldn't have over the new players. It also means that you're giving the veteran players the better weapons due to the unlocking system.

I'm not complaining about the fact that it's in the game. Since they have a wide variety of modes, I'll just play on only hardcore/full realism/unranked servers only. The only reason I care about the fact that these things are being put in is because the time and resources could probably be put elsewhere, and not in features that unbalance the game in favor of veteran players over new players. The only thing that I really like about the progression system is how it changes your character from a recruit to a veteran aesthetically.

But other than the ranking system (which is optional), I love everything else I see. I just find it not to be worth the resources put into it is all.

Can't wait to see more on the suppression system. It seemed like you got suppressed very easily in the video, but you were out in the open and alone. It would be nice to see a video that shows many suppression scenarios (such as seeing how easily certain weapons suppress you, how much of a difference cover makes in suppression, and especially how much teammates, NCO's, and Heroes affect suppression).

Upvote 0
The real problem with the Heroes system is that it is persistent and transcends avatar death.

People accumulate skill the more that they do something, but once they die, they lose that skill.

I daresay no one here has lasted an entire round (or battle, if you will) without a single death. Most of the time I don't last more than 30 seconds in active combat. That's why the system is pointless and unrealistic from a sim perspective.

From a gameplay perspective, it simply adds imbalance and rewards players for whatever arbitrary amount of time they spend playing the game instead of their actual level of player skill. It's an undeserved advantage.

Upvote 0
You can see legs in the tank, don't know if it's in every position or only when driving where you can see your feet using the pedals and when switching position.

I know, this is giving me hope that we will be able to see legs in the game though, I don't know why I have got excited about seeing legs in the tank since I have known this for quite a long time

Upvote 0
The real problem with the Heroes system is that it is persistent and transcends avatar death.

People accumulate skill the more that they do something, but once they die, they lose that skill.

I daresay no one here has lasted an entire round (or battle, if you will) without a single death. Most of the time I don't last more than 30 seconds in active combat. That's why the system is pointless and unrealistic from a sim perspective.

From a gameplay perspective, it simply adds imbalance and rewards players for whatever arbitrary amount of time they spend playing the game instead of their actual level of player skill. It's an undeserved advantage.

It's not a problem at all.
When you die you assume you are reinforcements anyway. It's the only reason why respawn would be 'acceptable' in your eyes then.
Just assume the hero you become is moved from another battlefield to this one.

No problem, still solved.

Upvote 0