• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Gamer on Barrel Changes - and Heroes

The real problem with the Heroes system is that it is persistent and transcends avatar death.

People accumulate skill the more that they do something, but once they die, they lose that skill.

I daresay no one here has lasted an entire round (or battle, if you will) without a single death. Most of the time I don't last more than 30 seconds in active combat. That's why the system is pointless and unrealistic from a sim perspective.

From a gameplay perspective, it simply adds imbalance and rewards players for whatever arbitrary amount of time they spend playing the game instead of their actual level of player skill. It's an undeserved advantage.

I once ran through a 20 or 25 minute battle in a StuG without dying once, scoring 6 or 7 enemy vehicles.

:D

Upvote 0
Why would a reinforcement have the experience that another soldier accumulated? That doesn't make any sense.

Not a normal reinforcement no, you're right.
That's why I suggest you just assume you are another hero of similar capabilities, when you die as a hero.

Or make the hero benefits random if that makes everybody happy, but it's just the idea

Upvote 0
Not a normal reinforcement no, you're right.
That's why I suggest you just assume you are another hero of similar capabilities, when you die as a hero.

Or make the hero benefits random if that makes everybody happy, but it's just the idea

Make them random if anything.

Giving certain players who "level up" access to a privileged soldier pool is absurd.

Upvote 0
Why would a reinforcement have the experience that another soldier accumulated? That doesn't make any sense.

Of course in real life he would not.

It would be totally pointless and impracticle to implement perks and rankings if they were to be lost upon an avatars death in an fps.

However, it is a game and some suspension of disbelief is required. If it makes you feel any better (not that it will :p ) maybe you can assume that the unit or squad you are in will have the general knowledge, skills, and veteran status as the players starting the game and any respawned reinforcements will be generally of the same caliber and quality as well.

Does that make any sense?

Upvote 0
And the more you use a gun in the game, the more proficient at using it you become in the game, even without the extra artificial character skill progression, as long as the game has a good and in-depth learning curve.

It's perfectly understandable why some people don't like it.

Personally, I don't mind it on public servers and since for competitive play it will be turned off anyway, I see no problems at all.
In game the reload is an animation with a fixed time to it. If I was to practice with a gun in real life, I would get faster at reloading it. You won't do that in a game without having "artificial" skill progression.

Upvote 0
In game the reload is an animation with a fixed time to it. If I was to practice with a gun in real life, I would get faster at reloading it. You won't do that in a game without having "artificial" skill progression.
True enough. But aren't FPS games supposed to be about aiming skill, situational awareness, teamwork, tactics, etc and not about how much time you spend on practicing reloading your gun (by which I mean, getting an artificial bonus to your reloading skill over time)?

As I said before, I don't mind skill progression in public servers and since it can be turned off for competitive gaming, it's really a non-issue for me.

Upvote 0
However, it is a game and some suspension of disbelief is required. If it makes you feel any better (not that it will :p ) maybe you can assume that the unit or squad you are in will have the general knowledge, skills, and veteran status as the players starting the game and any respawned reinforcements will be generally of the same caliber and quality as well.

Does that make any sense?

So why is a player base who has played the game for X number of hours getting privileged access to the veteran soldiers?

Oh, that's right, for no earthly good reason.

If this is not intended to simulate an individual's development, there is no reason it should be in the game.

This is a competitive game and thus it should not include anti-competitive elements. The best players do not need the best gear, that creates unnecessary imbalance.

Stop talking about real life.

Not a one of you can tell me how it is realistic to have a persistent progression system.

Start talking about a progression system that isn't persistent and then maybe you can tell me how realistic it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
Yes, ranked or non rankend, Realism or relaxed Realism + everything else you want to change.

There will be a huge amount of options to play around for Server Admins.

The thing is everyone will play on ranked servers. ...how do i know it?

Look at Killing floor, who is playing without perks? No one does, i hate persistent leveling and i too play on perks enabled servers.
I do it cause there is much much more servers with perks enabled. More servers= more good game opportunities and since i need to keep on par with those players on ranked servers im forced to play on them to get those exp.

And imagine if you go from your experienced character to a recruit character on nonranked servers. Slower reloading, bigger weaponshake, bigger recoil than you are used too will make you run back to your ranked server.

They could make a session or round based skill gain or something.
My opinion is that: Persistent leveling, which is common addictive maker for mediocre games is totally pointless in RO2 which will be addictive by its sheer gameplay.

Upvote 0